• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you believe in these events as being true...

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
The list:

1. Born from a virgin who conceived via a god.
2. Mother was a mortal.
3. Comes from a royal bloodline.
4. Birth announced by angels.
5. A star heralded his birth.
6. There was an attempt to kill the newborn child.
7. Coming of age ritual at age 12.
8. No data from the age of 12 to 30.
9. Baptized at age 30.
10. His baptizer was later beheaded.

If you believe these events are true and factual, then congratulations! You believe in the Egyptian god Horus who lived some 3,000 years prior to Jesus of Nazareth. :D

I know, I know, it has all been said before. The parallels between the two have been beaten into the ground repeatedly. Some affirm them, others deny them. Others still insist that Satan dropped the Horus stories centuries before Jesus in an effort to undermine his coming.

What do I believe about the Horus-Jesus connection? TBH, I am not sure as I have not really looked into it. As a deist it does not really matter one way or another. If there is any validity to the connection, then Christianity is simply a copycat religion, and would not be the first. If there is not any validity, then obviously people are trying to debunk Christianity.

Hmmm...now I have to brush up on my Egyptology and try to find reputable, non-biased sources. Christian sources are going to deny the parallels while anti-Christian sources are going to try and promote them as truth.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I've looked into many of these "parallels" before, and though I don't remember many of the details off the top of my head, they don't match up enough to indicate blatant copying.

Some general themes may be present, but they only point to a shared archetypical narrative, perhaps subconsciously inspired by the Seasonal Cycle.

b.finton

In the Unity of Faith
Here's a twist you may have missed:

The three pyramids of Giza represent the ancient elements of earth, air, and water. The fourth element is the fire that descends benevolently from above, personified as the sun god. This fourth element is organized as an invisible, fourth pyramid that is inverted: its forces interacting in hour-glass dynamics with the vortexes of the other three, to the end that all are drawn into their proper alignment as a cosmic cube. The vortex of the fourth pyramid is the head of the corner, personified in the Christian narrative in a mystery packed into the human organism.

Who knew, right?

b.

yeah lots of this has actually been debunked; it's certainly true that there are mythical parallels to Christ and other deities but it is not quite so 'color by number' as you are describing.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
yeah lots of this has actually been debunked; it's certainly true that there are mythical parallels to Christ and other deities but it is not quite so 'color by number' as you are describing.

I understand that there are those that have supposedly debunked it, but I want non-biased sources that can either confirm or deny. If you do a Google search, 99% of the debunkers are from Christian writers that are obviously going to support their side of the coin. That is the problem I am running into (for either argument).

I am strapped for time and can't point to a specific source but Richard Carrier is a leading expert in the Christ myth theory; he doesn't believe jesus existed at all, but he does not agree with this either.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Never saw that film. Read the bottom of my OP.
That film is where this nonsense comes from, and they largely derive it from nineteenth century crackpots. (That which they don't just outright make up). The entire film is nothing but a conspiracy theory designed to dupe those all too willing to take any claim that 'undermines' Christianity without question.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I understand that there are those that have supposedly debunked it, but I want non-biased sources that can either confirm or deny. If you do a Google search, 99% of the debunkers are from Christian writers that are obviously going to support their side of the coin. That is the problem I am running into (for either argument).
Because no matter how sound a Christian's research, he's biased and can't be trusted. You'll find nothing confirming the Horus-Jesus connection because it's either not there (they made it up) or they have taken vague and coincidental similarities and stretched them to absurdity. There is no other side to the argument. It is conspiracy theory nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marisa

The list:

2. Mother was a mortal.
9. Baptized at age 30.

If you believe these events are true and factual, then congratulations! You believe in the Egyptian god Horus who lived some 3,000 years prior to Jesus of Nazareth. :D

I know, I know, it has all been said before. The parallels between the two have been beaten into the ground repeatedly. Some affirm them, others deny them. Others still insist that Satan dropped the Horus stories centuries before Jesus in an effort to undermine his coming.

What do I believe about the Horus-Jesus connection? TBH, I am not sure as I have not really looked into it. As a deist it does not really matter one way or another. If there is any validity to the connection, then Christianity is simply a copycat religion, and would not be the first. If there is not any validity, then obviously people are trying to debunk Christianity.

Hmmm...now I have to brush up on my Egyptology and try to find reputable, non-biased sources. Christian sources are going to deny the parallels while anti-Christian sources are going to try and promote them as truth.
As an atheist, it's really not surprising to me that some of the world's religions have so much in common. Actually, it rather makes sense from my perspective. Kinda like the fact that "Hollywood" just remade Poltergeist. The story's basically the same, but it's been updated with modern technology. I hear a kid flies up the stairs in the new one. :)

The order to kill make infants is actually a kickback to exodus, which itself is likely influenced by some Egyptian story.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The list:

2. Mother was a mortal.
9. Baptized at age 30.

Therefore?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
One thing is certain, even though there may not be an exact comparison religion to religion with Christianity per say, it's clear enough that there is really nothing Christianity has to offer that hasn't already been similarly recorded among numerous collective beliefs in general.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
So, for example ...
The list:

The list:

2. Mother was a mortal.

Yet ...

Horus was born to the goddess Isis after she retrieved all the dismembered body parts of her murdered husband Osiris, except his penis which was thrown into the Nile and eaten by a catfish, or sometimes by a crab, and according to Plutarch's account (see Osiris) used her magic powers to resurrect Osiris and fashion a golden phallus[9] to conceive her son (older Egyptian accounts have the penis of Osiris surviving).

Once Isis knew she was pregnant with Horus, she fled to the Nile Delta marshlands to hide from her brother Set who jealously killed Osiris and who she knew would want to kill their son. There Isis bore a divine son, Horus. [source]
The OP is intellectually irresponsible.

Last edited: