• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If we have souls, why do we need physical brains?

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
I read about this question somewhere recently and I thought it was very interesting.
If intelligence and consciousness can exist outside of a physcal body and brain, why do we even need a brain?
Is it just for the physical functioning of the body? Could the soul not do that on its own?

Thoughts?

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I read about this question somewhere recently and I thought it was very interesting.
If intelligence and consciousness can exist outside of a physcal body and brain, why do we even need a brain?
Is it just for the physical functioning of the body? Could the soul not do that on its own?

Thoughts?
Because without something to fill up our head the echo would drive us to suicide.

The Seeker

Once upon a time....

Thoughts?

We need a brain because our we can't live without one and no one can state as a fact that intelligence and consciousness can exist outside of the body.

xexon

Destroyer of Worlds
Your brain is nothing more than a computer for your body. It processes input and controls bodily functions. As the soul is too etheric for this material world, the body becomes a needful thing for getting around here. Think of it as a heavy diving suit you have to wear against the harsh conditions of this place. The brain also contains a human interface called an ego. This is the sum total of what most people believe themselves to be. It rules with an iron fist in most lives, denying them the legacy of who they really are. Divine beings. x

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
Maybe we have physical brains because we don't have souls?

Well, ovbiously. That's what I believe. But for the sake of argument, if we do have souls, and our soul is what gives us life, why should we have a physical brain, if the soul could do all the brain stuff on its own?

UnTheist

The actual question was not about "souls," though, but about intelligence and consciousness.

Go figure.
To me, when someone says intelligence and consciousness existing "outside of the physical body and brain," that sounds exactly like a soul

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
Because they can't.
But some believe they can. I guess I need to hear from people who believe this.

These questions make no sense to me, sorry.

If our mind is indeed a seperate thing from our physical body, something that can exist without it, why couldn't we just be an empty shell for holding our soul?

Erm, now I'm confused too... This made sense in my brain (or is it my soul?) earlier.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Well, ovbiously. That's what I believe. But for the sake of argument, if we do have souls, and our soul is what gives us life, why should we have a physical brain, if the soul could do all the brain stuff on its own?

I'm not sure it logically follows, even if we do have souls, and they are the direct cause for life, that the soul functions the same way as the brain.

The brain is not the same thing as "the mind" or "consciousness"

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
But some believe they can. I guess I need to hear from people who believe this.

If our mind is indeed a seperate thing from our physical body, something that can exist without it, why couldn't we just be an empty shell for holding our soul?

Erm, now I'm confused too... This made sense in my brain (or is it my soul?) earlier.
This is how I see it. Consciousness is a separate thing from the body, but it's not separate from the body. The difference here is that very important little word "thing" and how we use it in the English language.

If I say that I have a red ball, then "the colour red" is a separate thing from "the ball," but it's not separable from the ball. Do you see what I mean?

Consciousness as "me" is not separate from the body that creates it, but it is a different thing from the body.

UnTheist

This is how I see it. Consciousness is a separate thing from the body, but it's not separate from the body. The difference here is that very important little word "thing" and how we use it in the English language.

If I say that I have a red ball, then "the colour red" is a separate thing from "the ball," but it's not separable from the ball. Do you see what I mean?

Consciousness as "me" is not separate from the body that creates it, but it is a different thing from the body.
Consciousness isn't as much as a thing as much as it is a process of the brain. Like software. I think....

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
When I have a red ball, I can look at it as a "red ball," or I can break that down into details. I can look at "a ball," and "the colour red." I can even break that down further, and look at the shape and size of the ball, and the particular shade of redness. If I keep breaking it down and down and down into greater details, what I'm doing from the perspective of my conscious mind is "fracturing" the world into smaller and smaller bits. I started with relatively large bits, and the smaller they get the more of them there are. I can keep fracturing forever, because this process is an infinite one.

Every one of those bits, large or small, is a "thing."

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Thoughts?

Because your brain will be connected directly with the other parts of your body in order to give it signs to move. In another word, the brain can't work on its own, but the soul will make your brain and all your body to work. The soul will make all your body alive and for each part of the body, there is certain tasks as you know.

Just my 2 cents.

joeboonda

Huh? None of you has ever astral projected outside your body? Ah, well. People who have had out of body experiences and near death experiences have reported that while outside of their bodies they could think extremely clearly and quickly, and their senses were sharpened like nothing they ever felt in their body. The Bible says God is Spirit, yet His great intellligence can be seen in the intricate, complex, precisely balanced and beautiful design of His creation.