• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If religion dissapears what would happen to you?

jazzalta

BruceDLimber said:
Hi.

I fear life would become utterly bleak, without notable hope, and quite probably far more violent and less civilized....

Not to mention possibly without hope.

Peace,

Bruce

I think one of society's biggest problems is religion.

gnostic

The Lost One
The world will only be a little less crazy. The world would still not be perfect, but it would not have added emotional baggages and confusing notion of religion.

(I don't believe in "perfection" anyway.)

Bishka

Veteran Member
gnostic said:
The world will only be a little less crazy. The world would still not be perfect, but it would not have added emotional baggages and confusing notion of religion.

(I don't believe in "perfection" anyway.)
-

Too some it's not confusion.

Smoke

Done here.
ProfLogic said:
I would say getting closer for humanity see equality amongst themselves.
I don't think people would necessarily become less violent and more tolerant, but they might begin to feel less self-righteous about their violence and intolerance, so that would be good.

I'd be sad to see a few religions go -- Taoism and Unitarian-Universalism, for instance -- but it's a price I'd be willing to pay to get rid of the some of the others.

bunny1ohio

Mike182 said:
although the religious differences are causing tension, they are blatantly no the sole cause of the problems in the middle east :sarcastic

Maybe not... but they ARE the sole reason that was given by the terror groups as to WHY they attacked the United States on 9-11. They told their followers that by dying for their religion in this way they would be rewarded, and these people were blind enough in their faith that they believed that and killed thousands of people including themselves. They are fighting a "Holy War" in their own words... so it may not be the sole cause of all the problems... but it is definately a HUGE catalyst in them. They attacked the US because we are "capitalists", which to me sounds like jealousy. They have more than we do so lets tear them down to our level and blame it on our religion. Make them fear us and WE will have the power... yadda yadda yadda...

If religion vanished from the face of the earth i don't feel anything would change. Religion is too often used as an excuse for man's attrocities. Granted they would simply find something else to blame it on should religion go away, but think of how many peole throughout history have died in the name of religion and how many more have suffered torture and burning and any other number of things and lived to despise the people and religion that caused them. Spanish Inquisition ring any bells? How about the Crusades? Both of those were TOTALLY based upon religion. How about the greed behind these things and the corruption in the churches? Religion had no bearing on my own moral judgements. I make those based on the principle of how would I feel? Not the biblical "do unto others" thing. Just a simple matter of observation and knowing myself. What would I do or feel if someone hurt my child? I would do everything in my power to return the favor tenfold to whomever did such a thing. What would someone do or feel in return should I do the same? Hopefully the same reaction... You don't need religion to tell you hurting a child is wrong. And I think that too many people rely on religion as a crutch to excuse themselves when they have done something wrong instead of using it as a guidance tool to show them the correct thing to do.

may

jazzalta said:
this is true , that is why Jehovah God is going to get rid of and destroy all false religion, but first God wants his people to get out of false religion, so that they do not recieve the plagues that will come on false religion .
And I heard another voice out of heaven say: "Get out of her, my people, if YOU do not want to share with her in her sins, and if YOU do not want to receive part of her plagues. revelation 18;4

Ody

A lot of people would be lost, and some of the greatest teachings and charities gone :(

cardero

Citizen Mod
If religion dissapears what would happen to you?
If Patrickism disappears it is safe to assume that I passed on.
As flattering as it is to have someone carry on my religion in my name after death, I just don’t think that they can do it as well as I could.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
ProfLogic said:
If the notion of religion dissapears, what would be the outcome in your opinion?

I would say getting closer for humanity see equality amongst themselves.

Ultimately, I think humanity would find something else to replace it, and to fight about. Not terribly optimistic, I know, but I honestly don't think the effect would be all that great.

jazzalta said:

Adherents make and break a religion. Thus, the root of the problem is the adherents, the people. Do not lose sight of that. If the root is left unaddressed, the weed will continue to grow, no matter how many times it is pulled.

By if it dissapeared do you mean. It never was? Not a lot would happen if it dissapeared I think. But I know I would be a drug-addict and a hopeless lost teen statistic if I hadn't found it.

turk179

I smell something....
may said:
this is true , that is why Jehovah God is going to get rid of and destroy all false religion, but first God wants his people to get out of false religion, so that they do not recieve the plagues that will come on false religion .
And I heard another voice out of heaven say: "Get out of her, my people, if YOU do not want to share with her in her sins, and if YOU do not want to receive part of her plagues. revelation 18;4
For some reason I am not that worried:D.

I believe the OP meant all religions. That would mean yours as well. Granted, this is a hypothetical question but what would you do? I myself would probably start living for the moment more now then I do.

gnostic

The Lost One
Tigress said:
Adherents make and break a religion. Thus, the root of the problem is the adherents, the people. Do not lose sight of that. If the root is left unaddressed, the weed will continue to grow, no matter how many times it is pulled.
Religion is more than just scriptures and buildings. It is also about the people who followed certain religion. Without the followers or adherents, then there is no religion.

The thing is, religion sometimes get involve in politics and the power that goes with it. This power often corrupts the religion. That can be seen in the past, and even in the present.

That's why I preferred to separation of state and religion in politics, science, art, and most important of all, in education.

Religion is supposed to about individual seeking the divine or personal salvation, not pushing their agenda in other sphere of life.

Look what happened with Islam. They are in the spotlight because of certain group mixing their agenda with religion, and now a lot of non-Muslims are suspicious of all things Islamic.

Christian parties are making a comeback in politics, and I am also suspicious of them pushing their so-called morality upon those in the West. The price of one religion or another playing politics, often causes havoc for everyone, and the body counts are often staggering.

I don't doubt religion have their benefits, but not when they seek political powers and gains. Often, these religious parties show a lot of intolerance for other who don't share their belief.

gnostic

The Lost One
Silicon Hero said:
By if it dissapeared do you mean. It never was? Not a lot would happen if it dissapeared I think. But I know I would be a drug-addict and a hopeless lost teen statistic if I hadn't found it.
I find that offensive stereotype view. Do you seriously believe that only non-religious people are drug addicts? A good many people in Australia, who have Christian upbringings, are just as prone in drugs as non-Christian background. The fact of the matter is religion or no religion have little to do with drugs.

If you look at many places where drugs come from, they come from countries with large religious population. In Asia and Middle East, there are drug barons run by either Muslims or Buddhists. And in Europe, like Italy/Sicily, and Central/South America, like Columbia, a lot of drug barons are devout Christians.

Don't give me crap about only Christian people are not addicts or drug dealers.

Draka

Wonder Woman
If religion were not around anymore I don't think it would change anything for the worse. You can't get rid of the wandering and wondering of the human mind. One could and would still have beliefs, you just wouldn't have them prescribed in a predetermined set. Everyone would just have their own thoughts. There just wouldn't be any established religion or leaders to command certain reactions to things. Without organized religion directing and controlling the beliefs and actions of followers you wouldn't have a lot of the problems that countries are facing now. Morals aren't religion enforced, their internally inforced. A religion can tell you to do and not do certain things, it is still up to you whether or not you follow those things. You have to weigh things out for yourself. The bible may say to kill certain people and their blood is on their own hands thing, but it is up to you whether you do. You don't go around killing all homosexuals because the bible says you should, because internally you know it to be wrong despite what religion says. Morals are internal, not external. Therefore that arguement can't really be used in favor of religion.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Nothing would change, there would just be something else to replace it for everyone to fight about. It wouldn't be any better or worse for society.

Only thing different would be none of us would be spending so much time here.

uumckk16

gnostic said:
That's why I preferred to separation of state and religion in politics, science, art, and most important of all, in education.
I get the other three but...why art?

gnostic said:
I find that offensive stereotype view. Do you seriously believe that only non-religious people are drug addicts? A good many people in Australia, who have Christian upbringings, are just as prone in drugs as non-Christian background. The fact of the matter is religion or no religion have little to do with drugs.
I don't think he was implying that only non-Christians are drug addicts. That is quite obviously not true. He was saying that he personally would have been an addict without religion.

:foryou:

I fear you ask the impossible. Religion in some form will be around as long as people are. Therefore I can't even imagine religion disappearing. In any event, knowing I'm saved because Jesus died for my sins, I'm not worried about the future.

"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world." James 1:27