• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If no god exists does the concept become meaningless

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That doubles the point that the benefit of religion is in the afterlife, since it advises people to refrain from things they might like to do.

The benefit of religion is this life. Can I ask by condensing this topic. How can what I learn tomorrow help me today?

For example, I came home from work. I thought given its late i the evening, I have nothing much to do that I havent already done. Then a slit thought of "I dont know if I will be alive the next hour." And I brushed it off from Past experiences I learned to not care. I cant predict the future. How can I live my life as if I know the future.

So, I live in a senior/dis complex and I work here too. So I go to check my mail after dropping things in my apt. My coworker om shift tonight has a knife in her hand, talking to a man who just walked in drunk off the street and we (no stereotype) assume homeless. There are a lot of homless people here. Some residence saw her holding the knife and I distacted them until she either had to call the police or otherwise.

Now all day I was thinking "in the present." My day went well. Minor shock of the evenings events but it was "in the moment."

Say I lived as if tommorrow would be bright and shiny. So, Im walking on a cloud every minute because I knownmy next minute is promised to me.

Little do I know my "dream world" goes when the man actuakky attacks me before my coworker defends herself. Im so lost in thinking of tomorrow that I couldnt address the life and DEATH situation at hand now.

Yes, a lot of us fear death. We age. We will die. But what is the benefit of looking at tomorrow when it is not promised to us?

If it is promised to you, Id ask the same question. What is the benefit of trusting someone else knows your future-youre still in a dream world.

If I thought this life is nothing, I probably wouldnt know what to do during this incident tonight because id be in a world of "god got me covered." Thats a good thing when we are alone or in postive moments. When critical moments come, how do YOU know what will happen tomorrow and what knowledge or divination you have of tomorrow would help you today?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The benefit of religion is this life. Can I ask by condensing this topic. How can what I learn tomorrow help me today?
For a Buddhist maybe the benefit is in this life, but Abrahamic theology is afterlife oriented. There are rules and restrictions that appear arbitrary. They don't seem to address actual social needs. They're followed to please the divine lawmaker/judge/gatekeeper, or at least not offend Him, lest one loose his place in the afterlife.
Little do I know my "dream world" goes when the man actuakky attacks me before my coworker defends herself. Im so lost in thinking of tomorrow that I couldnt address the life and DEATH situation at hand now.
why does it have to be either-or?I pay for car insurance, but still stop at red lights and swerve to avoid obstacles.

Yes, a lot of us fear death. We age. We will die. But what is the benefit of looking at tomorrow when it is not promised to us?
It's a gamble; a Pascalian (?) wager -- with a big pay-off.
If it is promised to you, Id ask the same question. What is the benefit of trusting someone else knows your future-youre still in a dream world
And therein lies the mystery of faith. Perhaps it confers a degree of psychic comfort or, enforced generally, promotes a safe, predictable, homogenous world.

Cobol

Code Jockey
I believe that the very concept of god is meaningless, because it has no basis in observed reality or logic.
So God is impractical and useless.

Kapalika

Premium Member
I believe that the very concept of god is meaningless, because it has no basis in observed reality or logic.
So God is impractical and useless.

Money isn't real, it's just an abstract concept that only exists in our head. Sure, we make things to represent it but monetary value in of itself is incorporeal and what how much of that value something has can quickly changed simply based on perception and mass-consensus. So it's not inherent. Money is essentially one really big and useful delusion we all use for convenience's sake.

Could you imagine if money had a use for anything other than transferring this invisible imaginary quality we made up? I mean seriously someone just saying something mean about the CEO of a company can make it's stocks fall. It's all imaginary and yet no one acts like it's useless or doesn't have a real impact on our lives.

God is kind of the same way, and subject to the exact same kind of abuses. It's leveraged for power just like money often against other people in an exploitative way. But a useless concept? Hardly.