• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If it is not Physical...

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It can't affect us.

1687804721088.png

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Phycological pressure can...
Stress is a chain reaction. “When someone experiences a stressful event, the amygdala, an area of the brain that contributes to emotional processing, sends a distress signal to the hypothalamus,” Harvard Health Publications of Harvard Medical School explains. “This area of the brain functions like a command center, communicating with the rest of the body through the nervous system so that the person has the energy to fight or flee.”

This “fight-or-flight” response is responsible for the outward physical reactions most people associate with stress including increased heart rate, heightened senses, a deeper intake of oxygen and the rush of adrenaline. Finally, a hormone called cortisol is released, which helps to restore the energy lost in the response. When the stressful event is over, cortisol levels fall and the body returns to stasis.
How Stress Affects the Brain | Mental Health | What Is Stress

Looks like a physical process to me.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Since this is a religious debate thread so far there's no proof that consciousness is physical so I can confidently assert that with the conclusion that what is non-physical can also affect us.

Decades-long bet on consciousness ends — and it’s philosopher 1, neuroscientist 0

The bet he lost was not whether consciousness was physical but when it would be proven. Two competing theories of physical consciousness, both shown to be inadequate to support the physical evidence.

This simply means it is necessary to revise the theory of physical consciousness.
A New Theory in Physics Claims to Solve the Mystery of Consciousness - Neuroscience News

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Your thoughts aren't physical and have a huge effect on you.
Every single thought of yours has an impact on your brain. Each thought causes changes in the structure and function of your brain; some of these changes are temporary and others are permanent.
Kwik Learning - Read Faster. Work Smarter. Think Better.

So every time you think a thought the physical structure of your brain changes. Which would mean even by reading this post causes the physical structure of your brain to change. Same way we store data on a CD/DVD by changing its physical structure. Data is stored in RAM by holding millions of physical transistors in a specific physical state. When electricity is removed from it, all that data is lost.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Stress is a chain reaction. “When someone experiences a stressful event, the amygdala, an area of the brain that contributes to emotional processing, sends a distress signal to the hypothalamus,” Harvard Health Publications of Harvard Medical School explains. “This area of the brain functions like a command center, communicating with the rest of the body through the nervous system so that the person has the energy to fight or flee.”

This “fight-or-flight” response is responsible for the outward physical reactions most people associate with stress including increased heart rate, heightened senses, a deeper intake of oxygen and the rush of adrenaline. Finally, a hormone called cortisol is released, which helps to restore the energy lost in the response. When the stressful event is over, cortisol levels fall and the body returns to stasis.
How Stress Affects the Brain | Mental Health | What Is Stress

Looks like a physical process to me.

Thoughts aren't physical

HonestJoe

The thought is not physical, the electro chemical reaction that creates the thought is physical.
By the same argument, the thought doesn't really exist at all. Either way, the underlying point is valid. There is nothing known that could affect anything with the physical universe (including us) without some physical element or source itself.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
By the same argument, the thought doesn't really exist at all. Either way, the underlying point is valid. There is nothing known that could affect anything with the physical universe (including us) without some physical element or source itself.

Psychological torture exists.

Thoughts exist as a result of electro chemical reaction.