• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Heaven Exists

Yerda

Veteran Member
The idea of paradise falls into the same bucket as utopia; it's not realistic. If you want to be happy forever, you have to define happiness.
If you think about it, you probably don't need to worry about defining happiness. If you can define it, problem solved.

If you can't then you can feel it without being able to define it and you don't have to worry about defining it. Problem also solved. Celebrate with a biscuit.
Is that a permanently sustainable state and is it even desirable to be permanently happy, without contrast? Would happiness not lose something were there no contrast? Furthermore, which sorts of alteration would it take to make humans eternally happy? The way I understand it, the concept is more horrifying than it is pleasing. How would everyone get along? They would have to desire the same thing and be the same way. They would also have to be free of sin.
The reason we aren't able to experience constant happiness might not be anything to do with needing the opposite for contrast. It is, at least in some part, connected to the type of things we are biologically. It might very well be possible for a person to have a constant state of happiness.
And let's not stop there. It might well be possible for a person to live a life completely encased in total euphoria. I mean, who knows how good persons can possibly feel?

Btw, I don't believe in heaven but I can imagine it and I like the look of the place.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
I am quite sure the way it should be is even what is better, the way that was modeled from the design in the beginning that is shown, but that as shown we are fallen from. I don't know what a Christian evolutionist understands of that. My understanding is a restoration from God is needed, which with God's grace would include the repentant redeemed from among those of humanity. I think other creatures of this creation will be there, while all live without any harm to any. That would mean all of us who are there, certainly. My understanding is that God's creation was perfect and without flaw to start with, and was in the form the restoration would come to, without any harm. But the perspective with evolution included would not have that, would it?

As far as what we can do, we can be of one of two kinds of people, one of those doing things to make this a better world, or doing things contributing to it worsening. We should carefully examine what we are doing, rather than casually assume from some things we do that we are doing what makes this a better world. It works if we are not canceling out the good we do with contributing to what worsens it. It could become better, while never reaching the perfection we want that only God would provide with the restoration. But any of that betterment will depend on constant careful examination of what we all are doing, diligently, and it will fail when people stop doing that, while it is needed from pretty much all people. Those of the people doing things that contribute to the world worsening are probably not going to all change, although there can be positive influence.

Is there anything about life that has led you to your concept of heaven, aside from some literature? No harm sounds nice, but that's not the life I've known. Perfect sounds nice, but I'm uncertain your concept of perfection. The sides seem to be somewhat uneven, unbalanced, and lop sided at least if you're leaning at it as an all perfect, no harm, no struggle, no resistance, no hardship and no type of motivator to encourage ongoing growth and development. With darkness we have light and with pleasure we have pain, and although the darkness uncertain and pain unpleasant, they balance the equation and foster greater growth, discipline, intellect, resolve, among many other things necessary for the continuation of life in an ever-changing universe. I typically refer to Hebrews 12 to find comfort in this, knowing that it is how we best navigate, the walking the line aspect of living between the opposing sides that teach us and foster our ongoing growth. I will assume that life will always operate like this, even in a perfect heaven.

InChrist

Free4ever
What are the chances of the "saved" being able to sustain the paradise believed to be heaven? We have a difficult enough time getting along here on earth between peaceful a goodwill seeking people. You're smoking?" You're not married? You have a "potty" mouth and you're homeless-how can you give him anything-you don't even have a job?

Heaven-

Is it a failed concept?
I think it is a wonderfully successful concept because of Jesus Christ. First, because Jesus conquered sin and His righteousness is applied to the life of a believer. Secondly, because the believer’s life is in the process of being transformed to become more Christ-like; a process which will be complete in heaven. Those in heaven will be free from the sinful struggles which cause the conflicts you have mentioned that people deal with here on earth.
Just my thoughts.

Agent Smith

The secular version of paradise is utopia which means, most suggestively, no place.

This is an extremely good question.

Last edited: