• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God wanted us to have unlimited free energy he'd have put a giant fusion reactor in the sky

dfnj

What I find fascinating is how people use the word God in sentences. People will attribute supernatural meaning and cause to everything they experience in their lives. It's a very subjective act. People will "dub" their life experiences with divine meaning. I have some very religious friends and I have to work very hard at not insulting them out of respect. But I can't tell you how many times I've heard my friends say things like, "I'm waiting for God to give me a sign so I know what to decide." Oy vey! Hakn a tshaynik!!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
That's the way it goes.

dab2b65b558a51cc4f902b51ba58bdaab294fbeac611e9bb71bfb53745698b1a.jpg

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Kind of reminds me of an offshoot of the puddle analogy. Attributing supernatural and/or extra meaning to natural phenomenon

Madsaac

I think god is a personal feeling, experience, massively subjective, it's something made up in peoples minds. (I still have trouble understanding why people can't see this but anyway.......)

So because of this we will hear people speak this rubbish, surely there are many, many more important and amazing factors that go into the decisions we make and the incredible world we live in rather than a 'god'.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think god is a personal feeling, experience, massively subjective, it's something made up in peoples minds. (I still have trouble understanding why people can't see this but anyway.......)

So because of this we will hear people speak this rubbish, surely there are many, many more important and amazing factors that go into the decisions we make and the incredible world we live in rather than a 'god'.
I think people in their minds as you say, just like to have a personification that is bigger and more powerful than themselves in order to feel noticed and enabled. Having a third person mental god puppet in control of their lives is perfect for some.

Ever try chatting away with your real doctor aside from some exceptions? Easier said than done. *grin*

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
What I find fascinating is how people use the word God in sentences. People will attribute supernatural meaning and cause to everything they experience in their lives. It's a very subjective act. People will "dub" their life experiences with divine meaning. I have some very religious friends and I have to work very hard at not insulting them out of respect. But I can't tell you how many times I've heard my friends say things like, "I'm waiting for God to give me a sign so I know what to decide." Oy vey! Hakn a tshaynik!!
I gather you accept terms such as ‘gut feeling’ ‘intuition’ and ‘hunches’? If you do then aren’t you just being prejudiced against a religious person for expressing the same kinds of sentiments except using the word God?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Your new anti-God rhetoric is fascinating.

Even more fascinating is your expectation for others to revel in your experience.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's a mistake to assume the gods are supernatural - this is not the case for all theologies. It's probably a safe assumption if you live in a culture dominated by classical monotheism, granted, but with the waning power of classical monotheist traditions even in places like the United States, tempering those expectations is probably a good idea. The only common denominator I've noticed in god-concepts throughout human cultures is that gods are that which are greater.

Which, clearly, is why those who accept the gods often invoke them when things happen - the gods are the higher powers that make things happen. Which gods and to what degree will depend in the tradition. Some theological traditions posit a very non-interventionist understanding of their higher powers (i.e., deism). Other theological traditions feel the gods keep a sort of "cosmic justice" that is beyond human understanding, rewarding the worthy and punishing the unworthy. Others still understand the gods to be diverse in form and motive, conflicting with one another in ways that is very consistent with the complexities we observe in the world (i.e., polytheism). And then there are the theological traditions that understand the greater powers to be the universe itself and so all things that happen are of the gods in some fashion or another (i.e., pantheism). There are many ways humans understand and relate to that-which-is-greater than themselves.

Personally, I certainly belong to a tradition for which signs and portends are relevant. In Druidry, there is a concept called Awen, which may or may not be deified but is something of a higher power in that it is the inspiration that moves us and calls us into action. It's that moment when an artist gets struck by a tune for a new song, or the time when you feel pulled to go on a walk outside to experience nature but don't really know why, exactly. When you let it flow, magical moments often happen that are very fulfilling and meaningful. Cultivating Awen and being open to inspiration no matter what the source is a major point of emphasis in the Druid order I belong to. To talk about it like it's a bad thing is a little bit baffling to me, but angstheists gonna angstheist.