• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God knew beforehand why did he go through with it?

cottage

Punish? How? God does not punish as we deserve. God holds back God's hand. god prefers to show mercy and kindness.

Revelation: v21-23 I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling. So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways. I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds."
So, what are you saying, that God’s punishment is measured, moderate and appropriate? Don’t see too much mercy and kindness in the above.

But yet, because evil does exist, then a good God cannot.

Yeah.

No, actually. The fact of evil has no bearing whatsoever on the existence of a Supreme Being. It’s not God whose existence is impossible - just theist ideology. The problem is caused by the need to make God conform to the human ideal.

look3467

Premium Member
This question is for all you who are believers in God

These question has been lingering over my head for a very long time.

If God is all knowing, can foresee the future and prophecy things before they happen why did he allow sin to enter the world? Why did he create Lucifer knowing he would become Satan? Why did he put the tree of knowledge of good and evil in the garden if he knew Adam and Eve would be tricked by the serpent?

If you are believer in God and you know the answer, do let me know as to be honest im racking my brain over the concept of a loving creator who had prior knowledge of his creations demise and let it happen anyway?

My turn!

Let the question linger no longer.

Your question: "why did he allow sin to enter the world?"

Sin is a transgression.

A transgression of what?

The story goes that Adam and Eve disobeyed God, thereafter, sin is first recorded as a transgression.

The question really is, how did they know that they had transgressed?

Was it because of knowledge?

If one has no knowledge of any law, how can one know that one has transgressed a law?

It was a God designed effect that we should know the difference between good and evil, giving us the ability to choose between the two, which and when makes us as like god.

Being like as God, to know good and evil, then we become transgressors, for naturally, being a god (god like) we are of ourselves independent from God.

Being independent of God is to depend on our own fleshly desires which are in rebellion against God, therefore, from the get go, a transgressor.

Why? Because that is the only way that God could have sons and not robots!

God could have easily created robots to serve Him without choice.

But with us, we do have a choice to serve Him willingly, out of love.

That is the key, that we should love Him willingly rather than be forced to.

The environment we are placed in is designed to bring that out.

So, we can look at sin in a positive way, in that in recognizing what sin is, we can learn to refrain and do the right thing willingly,that is pleasing to God.

God did not leave us hopeless, for indeed He provided a way of escape. Blessings, AJ

cottage

I didn't say God was wrathful. Nor did I say that we needed to be saved from such a God. We're saved from ourselves and the poor choices we make.

I said God was wrathful.

'They behold the day of the Lord comes, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate.' Isaiah 13:5,11

And it seems we do need to be saved from God (see above). :eek:

As for our poor choices, Calvinist John Edwards says we willingly make the choice that God expects and that our willingness is just another aspect he controls, has foreseen and ordained.

cottage

My turn!

Let the question linger no longer.

Your question: "why did he allow sin to enter the world?"

Sin is a transgression.

A transgression of what?

The story goes that Adam and Eve disobeyed God, thereafter, sin is first recorded as a transgression.

The question really is, how did they know that they had transgressed?

Was it because of knowledge?

If one has no knowledge of any law, how can one know that one has transgressed a law?

It was a God designed effect that we should know the difference between good and evil, giving us the ability to choose between the two, which and when makes us as like god.

Being like as God, to know good and evil, then we become transgressors, for naturally, being a god (god like) we are of ourselves independent from God.

Being independent of God is to depend on our own fleshly desires which are in rebellion against God, therefore, from the get go, a transgressor.

Why? Because that is the only way that God could have sons and not robots!

God could have easily created robots to serve Him without choice.

But with us, we do have a choice to serve Him willingly, out of love.

That is the key, that we should love Him willingly rather than be forced to.

The environment we are placed in is designed to bring that out.

So, we can look at sin in a positive way, in that in recognizing what sin is, we can learn to refrain and do the right thing willingly,that is pleasing to God.

God did not leave us hopeless, for indeed He provided a way of escape. Blessings, AJ

Why does an existence without evil mean humans would be robots?

Why does God want us to love him? Why the need?

look3467

Premium Member

To know good and evil is what makes us like God.

A robot can not know the difference by choice.

And if humans were all good, what would there be to compare good with?

How can degree of good be added to good if there is nothing to compare it with?

The same reason there is darkness, there is light, one to contrast it from the other.

Your second question "Why does God want us to love him? Why the need?"

Sons are begotten, robots are made.

Begotten, have the same qualities as the begetter: to love and be loved.

You have children? Is it their choice to love you as you love them?

Blessings, AJ

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
It’s just one ad hominem response after another, isn’t it?
Where a statement is illogical, attaching the term ‘theology’ does not alter that state of affairs in the least.
It's just one straw man response after another, isn't it?
I can't help it if you don't understand the theology. That's really not my problem. But I'm going to continue to point out where your theological understanding gets in the way of your argument.
The phenomenon is based on past lives, and we don’t live before we are born.
We do if we have been reincarnated. And somehow, this makes logical sense to you, but dying a horrific death and rising to new life (somewhat after the order of the phoenix) doesn't.
And anyway, as you know, reincarnation is not compatible with Christianity: “It is appointed for men to die once, and after this comes judgment.” Hebrews 9:27
It isn't if you proof-text. But I know of several valid theological expressions of Xy where reincarnation is compatible.

sojourner

Revelation: v21-23 I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling. So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways. I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds."
So, what are you saying, that God’s punishment is measured, moderate and appropriate? Don’t see too much mercy and kindness in the above.
do you not understand that Revelation is not a literalistic text? It's a vision. It's a dream. It's full of symbolic imagery. Revelation almost didn't make the canon. Many theologians don't lend nearly as much weight to Revelation as they do the gospel accounts.
The fact of evil has no bearing whatsoever on the existence of a Supreme Being.
Only upon God as we understand God. That's your magic bullet with which you hope to kill Xy. That God cannot be who we say God is, because evil exists. You're beating a dead horse.

sojourner

I said God was wrathful.

'They behold the day of the Lord comes, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate.' Isaiah 13:5,11
You love to proof-text don't you? Proof-texting makes for really bad theology. If you were to look at the overall Biblical story, you would find that God is merciful, kind, champions the cause of the weak, poor and disenfranchised. In fact, God always raises up the least deserving (in the eyes of the world) to receive God's blessing. God always saves the faithful remnant. since the Bible is written from the perspective of that remnant, that is good news. What you fail to do is to take under consideration a proper exegesis of the texts. The perspective of ancient Middle-Easterners is far different than ours. Their concept of God was narrower because their view of the world was narrower. You fail to take those things into consideration. And it taints your theological understanding.
And it seems we do need to be saved from God
Case in point.
As for our poor choices, Calvinist John Edwards says we willingly make the choice that God expects and that our willingness is just another aspect he controls, has foreseen and ordained.
First of all, I'm not a Calvinist. [edit] Neither is the majority of Christianity. I think Calvin was more than dead wrong. Second, John Edwards was the eloquent fool who wrote that very *special* piece of literature, "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God," a well-written, persuasive, but very misguided piece of sermonic drivel. I understand that the Nazis' propaganda was well-written and persuasive, too, but that didn't make it right.

Last edited:

sojourner

Because it would mean that our potential would be diminished.
Not a need.
God created us to love God, because love represents the perfect relationship.

This question is for all you who are believers in God

These question has been lingering over my head for a very long time.

If God is all knowing, can foresee the future and prophecy things before they happen why did he allow sin to enter the world? Why did he create Lucifer knowing he would become Satan? Why did he put the tree of knowledge of good and evil in the garden if he knew Adam and Eve would be tricked by the serpent?

If you are believer in God and you know the answer, do let me know as to be honest im racking my brain over the concept of a loving creator who had prior knowledge of his creations demise and let it happen anyway?

If you believe that God created everything, then God created everything. Evil is not something that comes from the outside. The line between good and evil lies within each and every one of us. It is in the choices we make that good or evil is brought into this world.

look3467

Premium Member
Then what was Jesus? A robot? I don't think so. Wasn't He all good? Okay then your argument falls flat there.

What was Jesus? The Son of God incarnate!
God with us = Immanuel.

The difference between Adam and Jesus, Adam acquired knowledge of Good and Evil, making him a god type, or as like God, or in His image,while Jesus had it in Him by birth as God Himself.

Was said of Adam:Gen 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Was said of Jesus: Isa 25:9 And it shall be said in that day, Lo, this is our God; we have waited for him, and he will save us: this is the LORD; we have waited for him, we will be glad and rejoice in his salvation.

The first brought us the flesh and death, the second brought us life by rebirth.

"All Good"? Absolutely. Even Jesus said it Himself: Luk 18:19 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.

If then God is only Good, and Jesus is sent to save the world, suppose God is in Him doing just that?

Blessings, AJ

look3467

Premium Member
Mar 14:38 Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak.

Consider our make up, spirit and body.

The weaker of the two is the flesh.

The story of Adam and Eve represent both of those two things.

Adam represents the spirit breath of God, Eve represents the weaker vessel, the flesh.

The offspring of the two represents the fruits of the two either good or evil.

We're talking figuratively and spiritually here.

Blessings, AJ