• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God is evil...

jmvizanko

Uber Tool
So your argument for why atheists import judeo christian principles is that they have no way of determining them without them? First off, although its slightly irrelevant, judeo christian principles were not the first principles to include such precepts as loving your neighbor and the golden rule. Philosohers since the time men were able to think up these ideas since the moment we were capable about thinking them, and they don't have theology as a prerequisite to discover.

What is universally recognized as evil is basically common sense. Causing pain and preventing happiness to any creature unnecessarily as a generic definition of evil is self evident to anybody that has language constructs, a basic ability to think, and a desire to be happy, which is practically everybody, except maybe the truly evil people and the people that let religion override any of these.

And there are ethical principles that far transcend judeo christian principles. Personally I think live and let live far transcends the golden rule, because the golden rule does not take into account that different people can want vastly different things.

So once again, please tell me why I, or any atheist I have ever talked to, has robbed judeo christian principles to form their own ethical principles. Its much moreso that they can think, and they can arrive independently using common sense at some of the few good ethical precepts that happen to be a part of judeo christian principles, and many others that are far better at making a happier and more peaceful world.

And yes, I find it hard to believe in a god that is evil. And looking at the world thus makes me think a god is unlikely to exist, because he would be unnecessarily evil to some degree.

Last edited:

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
So let me get this right, you are asserting that there are atheists who don't believe in certain versions of God based on the argument from the existence of evil? Well, as you say, we may have vastly different experiences with atheists, however, the formulation I most hear from many atheists is "I cannot believe in a God that would allow evil." Perhaps I just happen to experience the minority of them the majority of the time.

I have no qualification to say whether or not it's a minority or majority of atheists, but as a poster who's known for dabbling in the Problem of Evil more than most I wanted to comment that the PoE isn't a disproof of God's existence -- just a disproof of a collection of attributes for God (omnipotence, omniscience, omnibenevolence) with the existence of suffering.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
...would you still worship him/her/them to try to get to heaven/paradise?

Or would you reject them as an evil being(s)?

The reason I ask is because every now and then I talk to theists who -- upon being asked about genocides and wicked, terrible things in some holy text or another -- basically just shrug and basically say "Yeah, God is wrathful. So?"

It always throws me for a loop because I want to say, "And you worship this guy? Why?!"

So, if God is evil -- if God is a vindictive, petty tyrant crybaby of a god that murders people to show the world how awesome he/she is like apparently some people believe he is -- would you still worship him?

For those of you who DO think God is wrathful and vindictive (and what I would call petty), why do you worship such a wicked being? If you believe God is wrathful and all that and DON'T worship him, do you ever worry he's going to lay the smack down on you?
I would reject such a God.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
You are using evil and heaven incorrectly.

Both are states of being, not places or inherent qualities.

Well, so would you worship a malevolent being or not?

Would you reject a command to boil babies alive and risk punishment or not?

If my question isn't phrased exactly correctly for you, you could save us a step and carry on with an explanation that does match what you believe that still addresses the obvious implications of the question :p

Greygon

Monotheistic Trinitarian
I have no qualification to say whether or not it's a minority or majority of atheists, but as a poster who's known for dabbling in the Problem of Evil more than most I wanted to comment that the PoE isn't a disproof of God's existence -- just a disproof of a collection of attributes for God (omnipotence, omniscience, omnibenevolence) with the existence of suffering.

I don't see how the presence of evil has any bearing on any of the attributes of God, especially the three attributes you list. I understand that in some peoples formulations there may not be universal agreement on that point. I fully agree with your statement that the PoE has no bearing on the existence of God. I think if most atheist would adopt your formation, it would help the discussion along. But dialog is seldom the goal of the atheists I encounter.

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
...would you still worship him/her/them to try to get to heaven/paradise?

Or would you reject them as an evil being(s)?

The reason I ask is because every now and then I talk to theists who -- upon being asked about genocides and wicked, terrible things in some holy text or another -- basically just shrug and basically say "Yeah, God is wrathful. So?"

It always throws me for a loop because I want to say, "And you worship this guy? Why?!"

So, if God is evil -- if God is a vindictive, petty tyrant crybaby of a god that murders people to show the world how awesome he/she is like apparently some people believe he is -- would you still worship him?

For those of you who DO think God is wrathful and vindictive (and what I would call petty), why do you worship such a wicked being? If you believe God is wrathful and all that and DON'T worship him, do you ever worry he's going to lay the smack down on you?

I don't worry about an cosmic narcissist punishing me for not worshiping him. Even if he did create humanity I do not see why he would demand worship; it just seems a little petty. Would you do this to your kids? Would you demand that your children worship you or else you will have them in torture for eternity?

A good God would let his children know of his existence and help them out as much as they need. God would encourage tolerance, empathy, and rationality.

strikeviperMKII

Well, so would you worship a malevolent being or not?

Would you reject a command to boil babies alive and risk punishment or not?

If my question isn't phrased exactly correctly for you, you could save us a step and carry on with an explanation that does match what you believe that still addresses the obvious implications of the question :p

No, to both questions.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Belief implies doubt. When it comes to a God existing, I find it is irrelevant whether you believe or not

God is, or God isn't. I have found that God is.
Semantic games. Theism isn't about your level of certainty, it's about the kind of God-concept you adhere to. I've read many of your posts, and seen nothing to make me doubt that you're a theist.

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
So let me get this right, you are asserting that there are atheists who don't believe in certain versions of God based on the argument from the existence of evil? Well, as you say, we may have vastly different experiences with atheists, however, the formulation I most hear from many atheists is "I cannot believe in a God that would allow evil." Perhaps I just happen to experience the minority of them the majority of the time.

What I hear from atheists most often is that they simply fail to find sufficient evidence to believe in God. This includes a lack of rational validation.

I tell you what, why don't we try to avoid speaking for atheists. I'll just put it plainly: The problem is not that evil exists; the problem is that evil exits and most Judeo-Christian concepts of God claim he is simulataneously omnibenevolent as well as the the creator of EVERYTHING. If evil exists, then God created it or is responsible for it. This seems to be inconsistent with the notion that he is All-Good.

It is not the existence of evil that is the problem. It is that the existence of evil isn't consistent with the nature of God as proposed by most Judeo-Christian doctrine.

This obviously allows that you can ignore any difference in opinion since you would only have to assert, "I could not understand them." Kind of a comical "out" in the discussion, would you not agree?

I am sorry. Seriously, I have no idea what you are saying. What I was trying to convey was that within the English-speaking world, the Judeo-Christian God is the most prevalent of dieties, at least that is my experience. So, most of the atheists that I've been able to converse with have focused their attention in that direction.

Believe me, I am not trying to be dishonest or assert false claims, which is what you seem to be implying. I was merely trying to point out that most atheists I've personally encountered and have been able to discuss matters with, they find problems and inconsistencies with the Judeo-Christian God. And those problems are not necessarily with the existence of evil. It is the inconsistency of claiming God is omni-everything and the creator of everything, and yet evil still exists. If he is omni-benevolent and the sole creator, it would seem like evil couldn't exist.

Essentially, it would seem to me that if Christians could reconcile the problem of an All-powerful, All-Good God and the existence of evil, that would be a big step forward. Again, it is not the existence of evil that is hard to believe in. It is the existence of evil in a universe engineered solely by a supposedly perfectly good and just Creator.

I am not aware of an over arching "Judeo-Christian doctrine". If there is such a thing, it would be interesting to read about it. There is a Judeo-Christian worldview, which is what I referenced in my previous post. This potential error in your understanding, so it seems to me, could introduce significant inconsistency in the analysis of your observations, would you agree?

I don't believe I claimed there was an 'over-arching' Judeo-Christian doctrine. What potential error in my understanding? Are you trying to attribute things to me I have not written and then argue against them?

What I said was as follows:

". . . when atheists challenge aspects of Judeo-Christian doctrine, especially ontological plausability, they are certainly not 'importing significant elements of that worldview into their beliefs'. They are, indeed and conversely, challenging those significant elements because of inconsistencies contained therein. Or so it seems to me."

There may not be an 'over-arching' doctrine, but there is most certainly splintered factions. But then again, what does this really have to do with my point?

My point was that you claim 'most atheists import elements of the Judeo-Christian worldview into their beliefs while denying the basis for that worldview', and I find that to be flat-out wrong. So, I asked if you would please give us some examples of how atheists import these Judeo-christian elements into their beliefs while simultaneously denying them. And sincerely, without trying to offend you, I would point out further that you still haven't done so.

It was a simple question. Will you answer it? You made a claim. Why not back it up?

Your response would pretty much confirm that you misunderstood, but lets see if I can help you along. By what would an atheist use to determine what is "evil" apart from at least a theistic basis?

Reason. Rationality. These are just a couple of things that one might use to identify evil. I don't need a priest or a God or a son of God to tell me the world would be better if we treated each other the way we'd want to be treated. I don't need religious commandments to identify that murder and theft are wrong.

Also, any argument against the God of the bible presupposes a certain reading of the Judeo-Christian scriptures, would you not determine that would constitute an importing of at least some elements of the specific viewpoint?

No. Reading scriptures does not mean one has 'imported' Christian-Judeo elements into their viewpoint. It certainly means one has been exposed to those elements and beliefs if they've read about them. But I have read about Hitler and racial supremists groups, as well as islamic terrorists and reality television, and I've certainly not 'imported' any of these ideas into my beliefs. I've rejected all of them immediately upon exposure.

The Judeo-Christian worldview carries a commitment that the scriptures communicates a truth about God. What I most often find is that atheists must import the most fundamentalist viewpoints into their discussions about God to prop up their own straw man arguments.

Again, I am not really sure what you are talking about without specific examples being provided. However, what you appear to be saying is that most atheists make a straw-man out of fundamentalists beliefs, then argue against other versions of God based on these fundamentalist concepts. Is that right?

If so, I couldn't disagree more. I mean, I am not disagreeing this has been your experience. If you say this is what you've experienced, then I won't challenge it. I certainly can't tell you what you've experienced. What I would say, however, is that you should ignore those types of confrontationists. If that is what they're doing, why argue with them?

Do you believe that is the type of argument presented in the OP? Because I don't see it that way. As a matter of fact, the OP's author seemed to be very clear about asking, "If you believe that God is wrathful and vindictive . . . " This would seem to eliminate anyone who doesn't hold certain fundamentalists beliefs that God is wrathful and vindictive. If you don't believe this, then the OP was not addressing you, right?

What I see more often are atheists asking very direct questions that people don't read clearly enough and then theists respondents inappropriately react to those questions as if they held challenges to all God concepts. Though I didn't write the OP, it seems fairly clear to me that we are discussing religious concepts of wrathful, vindictive Gods. This is not a strawman. It does not appear to be intended as a refutation of ALL God concepts, only very particular ones.

strikeviperMKII

Semantic games. Theism isn't about your level of certainty, it's about the kind of God-concept you adhere to. I've read many of your posts, and seen nothing to make me doubt that you're a theist.

No, theism isn't about level of certainty. Faith, however, is.