• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God exists can evil also exist?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. Suffering as I see it, is not a requirement for anything in a Universe with a God that is said to be all good. In one without, given how lifeforms gain nutrients, age etc, its difficult to see how it could be any different, unless the whole Universe was different.
If we leave God out of it, and just look around and see how things are, how would we explain them? Life is tough. It's a battle. Somethings out there can hurt or kill us. What do we need to do to survive? We need to find food and shelter... make and take care of babies. Fight and defend ourselves against other people that want to kill us or take us captives. We have to be careful with natural disasters that happen all around us. What's God have to do with any of that?

Now add a God and some say that he's punishing us for not listening to him. We disobeyed and he had to curse us. Good gods and evil gods are fighting over us. The gods need to be appeased. Once we figure out a reasonable reason why the world is so screwed up, then we come up with ideas about an invisible spiritual world where everything is perfect. But, how do we get there? We have to follow god's rule and be good. Then we come up with ideas about those people that aren't good. Surely, a just god would punish them for making others suffer. It easily could all have been invented by people.

Baha'is allow for both... that there is an all-loving god and that people did invent some of it. A messenger came. The people messed with the message and added in false notions about god and what they should be doing. God sends another messenger. In lots of ways each messenger contradicts the others. In some ways most religions have a lot of similarities. So Baha'is discard the differences and contradictions and say people misunderstood the message or they added false beliefs into it. Those similarities, Baha'is can say that all "major" religions are from the true god. They all brought the same message of love and peace. Now, with Baha'u'llah, if we follow what he has written, we can achieve peace and harmony. Maybe, but where is the evidence that any of this god's messages have ever worked? Nimos, I've enjoyed reading your posts, great questions, great observations. Thanks.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I not really sure what you mean with "not die before our time"? Do you mean that everyone ought to die peacefully in their sleep?

Because im not sure how you would tell the difference between it being the correct time or not?
The correct time is the time that was predestined for is to die. You could argue that an animal that got shot by a hunter was predestined to die at that time but since there was human interference that was human free will that caused the animal to die, and God did not interfere with human free will.

It would be great if everyone could die peacefully in their sleep but too many factors intervene, such as diseases and accidents, even murders, so that will never be the case.
Trailblazer said: Why are we always comparing the two? Of course it is not good for animals to be caged and slaughtered, but how does that justify hunting and killing?

Because if we want meat which we do apparently, otherwise there wouldn't be such a huge industry for it. Isn't it like saying asking, why it should matter if we get our meat from ecological farms (Not sure what it is called in english). But farms where the animals are treated better than just being stuck in cages. We ask this question because we care if the animals are treated better before we eat them. If we didn't care then just throw them all in a small cage. So when hunters shoot a few animals in comparison to how many cows and chickens are killed each year, it seems logical to ask, that if people are more than happy to go down the supermarket and buy meat, but then at the same time complain about the hunters that shoots a few animals, which have lived very good lives. That maybe people are being a bit hypocritical?
I do not see it that way because hunting and killing an animal in the wild is not going to prevent any other animals from being slaughtered. It might prevent that hunter from buying some meat at the supermarket, but that is a very small percentage of meat purchased and it will not affect overall supply and demand.

How do you know that the hunted animals lived very good lives? But even if they did, that is no justification for cutting their lives short. The point is that the main reason for hunting is not for meat to eat, it is for enjoyment, and I consider killing for enjoyment sick. How is that any different than someone who kills domestic animals for enjoyment, just because they can be licensed to hunt? A while ago there was a cat killer who went around killing feral cats on our city. It was in the news and everyone was aghast and there was a reward for capturing him.
Sure they do, but you know get the whole experience of what it means, because the part of killing and turning the animal into meat is not something that you face in the supermarket. So I don't think its an invalid point.
Why should we face that in the supermarket? People can do their own research on the internet if they want to know. This is a poor analogy, but do they show a woman what happens to the fetus before she gets an abortion?
That you don't believe or agree with what she is writing is fair enough. But to her it is simply not as you see it.
It is fair in the sense that she has a right to her own views and it is legal. But I have no respect for people like that. They are miles away from my value system. I worry when a raccoon does not have food and clean water to drink.
This was just her view, there are lots of other reasons why hunting might be needed. I just went to a trip to Sweden on our small house up there. And think we had to kill around 3000 killer snails around the house, they have no enemies and they eat everything they come by, like flowers and other snails etc. So what do you do, just leave them and constantly step in them? They are all over the place. So if we should follow your logic we ought to just let the snail go nuts and multiply like crazy and kill everything else there, because it's sad for the snails?
I understand about the snails but do wildlife like deer need to be killed in order to manage overpopulation that would threaten other animals or the ecosystem? The thing is that deer do not kill other animals, they are not predators.
Of course not, its a choice. And probably it would be a lot better if we only ate meat like once a month or every two week, it would do wonders for the climate. So I don't disagree with you on that.
It would also be better for overall health and it would provide more land for growing food so nobody in the world would have to go hungry.
Because that is the very point, when it comes to discussing the motive and morally of God that we are told to buy into. To ask questions about what people claim about God, and whether they make sense or not.

Atheists questions what people claim, because those things doesn't add up, which then leads to the questions whether the whole God thing is even true to begin with? What reason we should have to believe people's claim about God, if these things doesn't add up?
If they do not add up to you and other atheists, maybe you have unrealistic expectations. If something does not make sense to you maybe you should try to understand why God does/does not do what you expect.
That you personally can accept that God exist, and don't want to ask the questions that atheists does, that is totally up to you. But there is no logical reason to accept any of the explanations as being mere facts about what God could or couldn't have done, and just accept them. When it doesn't fit together. That is why atheists ask the questions they do and don't just accept whatever religious people claim.
I do ask a lot of these questions because I want to understand why things are the way they are but I believe that God knows more than I do because God is All-Knowing, so I do not question God, since I consider that illogical.
Because suffering in a general understanding, does not link to something being good. If a child came to you and said that they had been beaten and suffering for years, because of cruel parents. And then the parents came to you and said "We did it out of love", you would instantly call the police and get them arrested.
I do not know why you have to attribute the suffering to God, as God is not causing that suffering. God is not beating anyone.
So when God or religious people say that God is all loving, but then at the same time can't explain all the suffering in the world, that is a reasonable question to ask...
The suffering exists because of things in the world that cause suffering. God is not causing the suffering so that does not mean God is not all loving.
How is it possible for something to be all loving and still allow suffering?
A better question is: Why should an all loving God prevent suffering?
And to me, that is impossible. I haven't heard any good explanations of how this is possible, especially as I said earlier. That we can throw the other attributes in there as well. All powerful and all knowing. Fair enough if God made mistakes and that is why there is suffering, but he is also said to be infallible as you stated earlier. So it just doesn't add up in the head of an atheist.
People make mistakes and that is why there is suffering. Life on Earth is difficult and that is why there is suffering. God has nothing to do with it. It might not add up for you but I do not hear many atheists blaming God for suffering. That is not the reason most atheists do not believe in God, the reason is because they do not see any evidence for God.

Suffering in this life would make no sense and it would be cruel and unjust if God existed and this world was the only world we will ever live in. Suffering can only be understood if we believe that there is an afterlife and that the suffering in this life helps us prepare for the afterlife, building our character and making us more spiritual and drawing us closer to God., since we rely on God in times of suffering.
So what, what he wrote? Think about it, just because he wrote it doesn't mean that it is true or even convincing to other people? It might be for you, but now that I have heard of him, I don't buy it either.

So maybe the problem is not other people, but that the writings and teachings simply doesn't have the credibility that is required for a majority of people.
The evidence for Baha’u’llah is not only what He wrote. Again, here are the categories of evidence.

1. The Person of the Baha’u’llah (His qualities, human and divine)
2. The Revelation of Baha’u’llah (what He accomplished on His Mission on earth, I.e., the history related to the religion that was established as the result of His Mission)
3. The scriptures that He wrote or what was written on His behalf revealing His Words.
4. Prophecies that were fulfilled by His coming.
5. Predictions that He made that later came to pass.
Comeon Trailblazer
C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

If he can create a Universe from nothing and give messages to messengers, he could probably find a way... again with all the limitations of this so called, all powerful God. It doesn't add up, it is just not logical or reasonable to do.
God could find a way IF He wanted to but God does not want to so He doesn’t, since an OMNIPOTENT God only does what He wants to do, not what atheists like you want Him to do.
Like I saw your post on whether people fear God or not, and I think to recall that you said you were worried..(Correct me if im wrong, as I might misremember). But instantly that makes me wonder why you would feel that way, when you think God is all good... which would leave us into the discussion we currently have... so these things or questions often lead to similar discussions.
I fear God but not in the sense you think. It is reverence and respect for God rather than fear of what God might do to me. This is a big subject, fear of God.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
If an omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent God existed, would such a God allow evil to exist in the world?
The definition of the terms require this kind of God to be good, and that he/she/it has the power and ultimate concern to make it so.
Is the existence of evil in the world a reason to believe that God (as defined above) does not exist?
Yes; again based on the definitions of the terms. If you want to allow a God who created or allowed for evil, he/she/it is either not good, or not all-powerful.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Trailblazer said: If an omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent God existed, would such a God allow evil to exist in the world?
The definition of the terms require this kind of God to be good, and that he/she/it has the power and ultimate concern to make it so.
Having the power does not mean God is obligated to use the power... This is what so many atheists totally miss.
God is not a short order cook.
Yes; again based on the definitions of the terms. If you want to allow a God who created or allowed for evil, he/she/it is either not good, or not all-powerful.
Or the God is not responsible for to rid the world of evil and/or the allowance for evil serves a purpose you do not understand.

All-Powerful does not imply God should do everything that atheists want God to do.
God is not a short order cook.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Or the God is not responsible for to rid the world of evil and/or the allowance for evil serves a purpose you do not understand.

All-Powerful does not imply God should do everything that atheists want God to do.
OK, if you insist. God is evil, and indifferent to it's implications and effects.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
OK, if you insist. God is evil, and indifferent to it's implications and effects.
Are religions consistent with there definitions of God and evil? No. If a Christian started this thread it would be about how God created everything perfect then man, through Adam, screwed everything up by listening to a talking serpent who they say was really Satan in disguise, who originally was Lucifer a powerful angel who let his pride get to him and rebelled against God.

And poor God, he created everything perfect. How was he to know this angel would rebel, and that he would tempt Adam and Eve and get them to disobey. But wait, doesn't God know everything? Yes, so then what? That's exactly what he wanted he happen? Yes, that way he could send his only Son, Jesus, to redeem the world.

But this thread wasn't started by a Christian. It was a Baha'i. They don't believe any of those Christian explanations. The Baha'i have their own. But how do they get those "true" explanations out there? They create a thread that asks a question, gets people to respond and give their opinions and then tells them how wrong they are.

No matter how logical or sensible your responses are, the "true" answer is already known. The answer is... No, God is perfect, all-knowing and all-loving... it just seems like he's not.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
CG Didymus said: No matter how logical or sensible your responses are, the "true" answer is already known. The answer is... No, God is perfect, all-knowing and all-loving... it just seems like he's not.

You will get that same answer from Christians and Baha'is.

As a Bahai who is an outlier, sometimes it seems as if He is not, but then I will hear a Christian song which makes me realize I am wrong, because God really is perfect, all-knowing and all-loving. I wish I could remember the song I heard yesterday because it brought tears to my eyes, and I realized just who God is. Christians are on the right track about the important things that matter and they are on they same track as the Baha'is.

...If an omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent God existed, would such a God allow evil to exist in the world?

If you answer yes, please explain why you think so.
...​

Evil is like emptiness, or darkness, it is nothing really. It means good is not present. Originally everything was good, but then people wanted to know evil and were expelled to this “Matrix” to learn what evil truly means. Luckily this is only a short lesson and nothing of this world can destroy our soul.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Matt. 10:28

I think God is good, because He gave us freedom to choose and experience what it means to be without Him. And I think it is especially good that He has prepared a way out of this for those who are righteous and want to do good. And I think God is good when He doesn’t allow evil to continue forever. If God would not be good, He would not have allowed us to have this freedom.

Nimos

I understand about the snails but do wildlife like deer need to be killed in order to manage overpopulation that would threaten other animals or the ecosystem? The thing is that deer do not kill other animals, they are not predators.
Im obviously not an expert on this, but i would imagine that with most other animals that they require a certain amount of area as well, in order to live healthy. So if to many are in one place i would guess it could lead to disease, which might spread to our food production or they might eat that. Also you have to remember that many places in the world the natural predator have been wiped out by humans. Which makes them have no natural enemies.

So maintaining the population of these is probably done for a good reason.

It would also be better for overall health and it would provide more land for growing food so nobody in the world would have to go hungry.
There is no issue feeding the world if that was what we wanted to do. We produce more than enough food to do it, the problem is that it is not very profitable to feed all. You have to remember that most things are done, because someone can make some money, that is why the health organisations have to ask people for donations, it's not because there is a lack of food.

How much food waste is there in the United States?
In the United States, food waste is estimated at between 30-40 percent of the food supply. This estimate, based on estimates from USDA’s Economic Research Service of 31 percent food loss at the retail and consumer levels, corresponded to approximately 133 billion pounds and $161 billion worth of food in 2010. This amount of waste has far-reaching impacts on society:

• Wholesome food that could have helped feed families in need is sent to landfills.
  • Land, water, labor, energy and other inputs are used in producing, processing, transporting, preparing, storing, and disposing of discarded food.
And that is only the US, then add Europe, China etc. So one can wonder that if we really wanted to solve world hunger, then why haven't it been done yet?

If they do not add up to you and other atheists, maybe you have unrealistic expectations. If something does not make sense to you maybe you should try to understand why God does/does not do what you expect.
Well that would be the wrong way to go about it. If I told you that a magical smurf created the Universe and is the one that decide who lives and dies. And if you don't accept that, or if you don't think it adds up, well maybe you just have to try harder at understanding the magical smurf.

You wouldn't find something like that reasonable either would you? First you doubt me claiming that a magical smurf exists, and before even considering it, you would like to have some evidence.

I do ask a lot of these questions because I want to understand why things are the way they are but I believe that God knows more than I do because God is All-Knowing, so I do not question God, since I consider that illogical.
Well that is the whole issue, you assume that God exists and therefore he is all-knowing, and if he is all knowing then you won't question him. Which makes perfect sense, except that atheists stops at "God exists", before assuming that he is also all knowing. I haven't seen any evidence for him being so, I know that there exist people and texts that claim this is the case, yet these are nothing but claims. So I see no reason to jump to any conclusion about anything, before the very first question "does God exists?" is answered. Applying any attributes or assuming that any person knows the truth about this, require them to provide undeniable evidence.

We are not talking about people claiming to own a dog or something, but that they know something that is so remarkable, if true, that they are not getting by with just having faith in them. They make the claim therefore they provide the evidence. And they better be good.

I do not know why you have to attribute the suffering to God, as God is not causing that suffering. God is not beating anyone.
You are taking the example to literally. There are many types of sufferings in the world. Some which have nothing to do with humans. Lets say a volcano erupts and kill someones whole family. That is suffering that is not caused by humans. Therefore it is logically to ask the question, that if God is all good, knows all etc. and he created everything, then he must also have known that the volcano and other types of sufferings will occur at certain points.

Your argument was that suffering could be good, which i disagree with, in the context of which we are talking. Where a God is claimed to be all good. Suffering is not something that we associate with something good. That is why i used the example with the child, because it is absurd to agree that beating an innocent child is something that could be excused with being good.

But to me that is exactly the situation God is in, how do we maintain that he is all good, when people clearly suffers around the world and it is out of their hands?

A better question is: Why should an all loving God prevent suffering?
No, that is a worse question. :)

Because that ignore the initial question of why suffering need to exist in the first place, if everything was created by an all loving being?

People make mistakes and that is why there is suffering. Life on Earth is difficult and that is why there is suffering. God has nothing to do with it.
Again suffering comes from many places, you could be born with something that causes you severe suffering, neither your parents or anyone else might be able to be directly blamed for it. As it might simply be something that occur in X% of humans and you were just unlucky. However it still doesn't explain why God would allow it.

It might not add up for you but I do not hear many atheists blaming God for suffering. That is not the reason most atheists do not believe in God, the reason is because they do not see any evidence for God.
The reason you don't see them blame God for suffering is probably because they never get that far. If you ask the following question to atheists, I would be surprised if not by far the most, if not all would agree with me.

"Assuming that God exists and created everything, would you blame God for making suffering in the world possible as well?"

Suffering in this life would make no sense and it would be cruel and unjust if God existed and this world was the only world we will ever live in. Suffering can only be understood if we believe that there is an afterlife and that the suffering in this life helps us prepare for the afterlife, building our character and making us more spiritual and drawing us closer to God., since we rely on God in times of suffering.
I would have to disagree, suffering makes perfect sense in a world without a God, because of how life works. Evolution, and other scientific fields can explain why suffering might occur as a result of how things work, why there are volcanos, earthquakes etc. which can lead to suffering, if you are caught the wrong place at the wrong time.

Suffering in a world with an all loving God makes no sense. Which is why there is no good explanation for it.

God could find a way IF He wanted to but God does not want to so He doesn’t, since an OMNIPOTENT God only does what He wants to do, not what atheists like you want Him to do.
And do you think that makes atheists unreasonable or do you think it makes us rational for doubting his existence? Just wondering.

Let me refer to my example above with the magical smurf? do you think you have a good reason for not believing in what I said, when I tell you that you can't demand anything from the smurf, just because you don't believe in him? Do you think that you are being unreasonable or rational then?

I fear God but not in the sense you think. It is reverence and respect for God rather than fear of what God might do to me. This is a big subject, fear of God.
But if you believe that you are a good person and doesn't harm anyone etc. Then why fear him? or do you feel that you are not doing enough, im just trying to understand what you mean with "fear"?

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If God exists can evil also exist?
I suspect....
right after the creation went bang
God saw it needful that some of it must degrade

the expansion unchecked is not really in control
even the lesser particles must have some degrade

and the rules of chemistry were then set into place

and as you are made of chemistry at this time......you get to
degrade

the paradox.....you want to live
all the while knowing.....you will die

is death evil?
did God set you up to die?
is God evil?

syo

The Gods created everything, including evil.

But ''what IS evil?''

When I kill you, the Gods say ''this is EVIL''. The Gods created evil, so there are actions (killing, rape, etc) that cause unhappiness. Wise people don't do actions that cause unhappiness.

Imagine evil wouldn't exist? I'd be killed a thousand times till now.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
It is the senseless tragedies that really irk me. Evil is an intention, a motivation, and the delight in baseless actions to damage and destroy, torment, and oppress.
I would expect personal involvement from a God in all these matters. An Omni God is simply avoiding the situation completely.

God would establish law that gives light objectively to what is good and evil. Though the acknowledgement of what is good and evil isn't beyond the capacity for humans to understand.

You would have to come up with reasons as to why God would create a world of this amount of suffering. The world holds no obvious reasons as to why it exists much less reason that people and animals suffer.

Life on Earth would have to be a deserved plight for there to be a God. Who deserves to be here and why? Karma would have to come into effect. I see no Karma even.

The hiddeness of a God in a philosophical nightmare, where the only truth realizable is true conscience. Impoverished and destitute of any knowledge on why or how we got here. If there is a truth beyond true conscience then it goes well off the radar of human senses.

I could speculate and make giant claims all day long, but at the end of the day it all needs to be verified. Then acceptance can take place.

If it wasn't for science we would all be hunter gatherers, with no assurance of any existence. God made this plight where nothing is guaranteed. No God exists.

If God exists then evil would be contained, controlled, and punished. Something progressive would happen to advance life.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

I also don't get how one could claim that God has the power to prevent evil and while not making use of it also be called good. Claiming that God is evil would make much more sense.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If God exists then evil would be contained, controlled, and punished. Something progressive would happen to advance life.
Something progressive is happening to advance life. It has been happening for about 155 years.

God sent Baha'u'llah to teach humanity that we need to contain and control evils like racial prejudice, and the Baha'is are working on that with those of other faiths right now.

tacoma.gif

Tacoma Baha’i
Black Lives Matter
By Admin on Jun 30, 2020 in Tacoma Baha'i | comments(0)

IMG_2399-1-1024x519.jpg

Members of our community participated in “Pray in the Street for Racial Justice” on Saturday, June 27th. The event was part of a “6 Feet in the Street” (6FITS) nationwide movement sponsored locally by the Tacoma Ministerial Alliance and their partners. This moment of prayer started at 12:00 noon in Tacoma’s Hilltop neighborhood. The Ministerial Alliance asked community members to show solidarity and support for racial justice by lining MLK Jr Way between Division and 27th and praying for 15 minutes, then walking together to People’s Park for a rally in conjunction with Black Lives Matter. The Ministerial Alliance points out that these are extraordinary days of needs and opportunities, and that this is one step to build a community that is more humane, compassionate and just. We had an assigned prayer station on MLK Jr Way at the corner of South 19th Street, where we prayed until 12:15 and then went to join the rally.

Here are photos of Bahá’ís and others at our prayer station and later at People’s Park.

IMG_2400-1024x768.jpg
IMG_2434-1024x768.jpg
IMG_2459-1-1024x768.jpg

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
God would establish law that gives light objectively to what is good and evil. Though the acknowledgement of what is good and evil isn't beyond the capacity for humans to understand.
God has established such laws through Baha'u'llah.

The Kitáb-i-Aqdas is Bahá'u'lláh's book of laws, written in Arabic around 1873 while He was still imprisoned within the city of 'Akká. It is considered the Most Holy Book of the Baha’i Faith. As I recall, it was translated into English in 1982.