• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Atheism is a psychological position we don't need to seriously consider it

PureX

Veteran Member
That is patently delusional. Praying to god gives 2 possible outcomes, success or failure. Funnily enough, precisely the same odds as not praying.

You have a very low threshold of evidence
You are blindly confusing the concept of what logically stands out as evidence with one's personal assessment of validity. If these were integral, as you seem to imply, then the concept of evidentiality would be useless, as every perception we experience would either stand as it's own proof, or as unrelated nonsense. Evidence is a perception of effective relatedness. That perception can be valid or invalid, but either way, it is by definition still "evidence".

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is patently false. I recently prayed to God for a special circumstance to be resolved in my favor, and my request was granted. This is clear evidence that the God I prayed to responded.

It is not conclusive evidence because it's both circumstantial and logically questionable. But it is, nevertheless, evidence. And literally billions of human beings have experienced trillions of similar results in response to similar requests. And they all can likewise be offered as evidence. The fact that YOU are not convinced by it is not relevant to it's being actual evidence.
Apophenic coincidence.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It just seems that there are so many interesting books written by psychologists or others involved in related areas - can't resist them. :D

It was more a deliberate decision not to get cable or anything else - too many channels to select some morsel from. :rolleyes:
I do resist the psychology books nowadays because I just do not have time to read much at all... I do not have time to watch TV either, although I sometimes catch a true crime drama for an hour or two before I go to sleep on weekends. :) For some reason, I like crime dramas and seeing justice done. :oops:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Again, this is your assessment OF THE evidence. It is not a definition of evidence, itself. Your criteria for validity is not the definition of evidence. (Nor is anyone else's.)
This is my assessment of the believers. They,re seeing patterns in random events.

PureX

Veteran Member
Yes, I'm still waiting for actual evidence of this God.
Since you presume that to be evidence, it must overcome your biased presumption that it doesn't exist; it's very unlikely that you will ever see any. You've effectively defined it out of existence for yourself.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Since you presume that to be evidence, it must overcome your biased presumption that it doesn't exist; it's very unlikely that you will ever see any. You've effectively defined it out of existence for yourself.
OK. I'm obviously missing something here. What am I presuming to be evidence -- and of what?