• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I will fasting in Ramadan

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Not so good. I lack motivation
I found it very hard to fast. Fasting is supposed to be symbol of abstinence from material cravings and adjusting your spiritual life, but I found myself thinking about my hunger. A lot of Baha'is find it beneficial, though, but I didn't do it properly, and perhaps I am just more prone to hunger.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I found it very hard to fast. Fasting is supposed to be symbol of abstinence from material cravings and adjusting your spiritual life, but I found myself thinking about my hunger. A lot of Baha'is find it beneficial, though, but I didn't do it properly, and perhaps I am just more prone to hunger.
I don't mind fasting, but I find it a lot more meaningful to undertake with others than alone.

I think I'm more prone to think about hunger if I'm doing it alone. With others, I tend to try to cheer them along and it makes it feel not so bad.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I don't mind fasting, but I find it a lot more meaningful to undertake with others than alone.

I think I'm more prone to think about hunger if I'm doing it alone. With others, I tend to try to cheer them along and it makes it feel not so bad.
Well, at work I was alone fasting, but after a time I was married, and still found it hard. I became a Baha'i in 1970, and got married in 1982. Mt wife Sara is a Baha'i, but she has diabetes, ands those with medical problems are exempt from fasting. Fasting is no good if it jeopardizes your health.

MJ Bailey

Personally I have an approach to fasting and Religion that is difficult to explain. I was raised with Christian values, a former member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Catholic teachings, etc. so when I fast it is difficult for me to adhere to just one "reason". I really don't think of the hunger too much. My thoughts are highly divulged in the way the world is today, not only on issues of hunger, but on other highly important issues. Junger has always been an important issue with me however. My dear sweet Mother who has recently passed suffered from hunger as a child. Growing up and learning this throughout my life has allowed me to not only find the importance of ending hunger but also other crimes in which should not be happening. How ever even after going to college for criminal justice and being the head of my international class, I have still been left without an appropriate way to integrate my ideas to try and help these things to stop. I however am not dead yet and will always persist to find ways to help myself and fellow human beings to better themselves.

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
I agree with you. Fasting is difficult

Last edited:

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
You could also do the short obligatory prayer that Baha'is do:

TO BE RECITED ONCE IN TWENTY-FOUR HOURS, AT NOON
I bear witness, O my God, that Thou hast created me to know Thee and to worship Thee. I testify, at this moment, to my powerlessness and to Thy might, to my poverty and to Thy wealth. There is none other God but Thee, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting.
(Compilations, Baha'i Prayers, p. iv)

Technically, noon is anytime between noon and sunset. We also do ablutions before this (just washing of hands and face), but as you are not a Baha'i, that is not necessary for you.
Beautiful prayer:blush:

Gargovic Malkav

On the other hand, a person can be a vegan, right?

Sure.
I don't understand the point you're trying to make, though.

Now that you've brought this up, I'm wondering if vegetarianism and veganism are frowned upon in traditional Islamic culture, since animal sacrifice is an important ritual in their tradition.

Edit: Based on what I've found so far, it does seem that veganism is an accepted thing in Islam. Some even choose to be vegan so they have less worries on deciding whether something is halal or haram.
Perhaps you were aware of this already and that this is the reason for the point you were trying to make?

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Sure.
I don't understand the point you're trying to make, though.

Now that you've brought this up, I'm wondering if vegetarianism and veganism are frowned upon in traditional Islamic culture, since animal sacrifice is an important ritual in their tradition.

Edit: Based on what I've found so far, it does seem that veganism is an accepted thing in Islam. Some even choose to be vegan so they have less worries on deciding whether something is halal or haram.
Perhaps you were aware of this already and that this is the reason for the point you were trying to make?
OK, I was just wondering if a person didn't eat animals, would vegetables be ok to sacrifice? But now that I'm thinking about it, I guess it wouldn't matter to a vegan if an animal is sacrificed.

Gargovic Malkav

OK, I was just wondering if a person didn't eat animals, would vegetables be ok to sacrifice? But now that I'm thinking about it, I guess it wouldn't matter to a vegan if an animal is sacrificed.

I think that depends on the reasons of someone becoming a vegan and also on how neurotic the vegan in question is.
Some people adopt a lifestyle they think is for the best, but get frustrated when others don't follow their example.
Also, when someone becomes a vegan for the reason I mentioned in my previous post, it appears they do it more out of convenience.
But most vegans and vegetarians I know do it because they believe it's the right way to express one's love and respect for animals.
I can Imagine that the latter group can still be bothered by it because those who slaughter animals don't have that same sense of honour.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I think that depends on the reasons of someone becoming a vegan and also on how neurotic the vegan in question is.
Some people adopt a lifestyle they think is for the best, but get frustrated when others don't follow their example.
Also, when someone becomes a vegan for the reason I mentioned in my previous post, it appears they do it more out of convenience.
But most vegans and vegetarians I know do it because they believe it's the right way to express one's love and respect for animals.
I can Imagine that the latter group can still be bothered by it because those who slaughter animals don't have that same sense of honour.
You know, that's an interesting point, because Cain in the Bible offered plants ("fruits of the land") and Abel offered some of his flock. Abel's offering was more acceptable to God than was Cain's. Genesis 4 speaks about the event.
"After some time, Cain brought some fruits of the land as an offering to Jehovah. 4 But Abel brought some firstlings of his flock, including their fat. While Jehovah looked with favor on Abel and on his offering, 5 he did not look with any favor on Cain and on his offering. So Cain grew hot with anger and was dejected. 6 Then Jehovah said to Cain: “Why are you so angry and dejected? 7 If you turn to doing good, will you not be restored to favor? But if you do not turn to doing good, sin is crouching at the door, and its craving is to dominate you; but will you get the mastery over it?”