• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I think i may convert to islam

Sabour

Its mostly due to scholarly stuff on Jesus. Like ebionites stuff, historicity of Jesus (Watched some stuff by Bart Ehrman) etc that i've figured that islam seem to make most sense i feel.

Although i dont trust Hadiths, and i have some doubts whether quran is 100% well preserved. Considering manuscript differences. But still, there seem to be somewhat more correct in the case of Jesus... i dunno to be honest : 3. But its like religions claims this and that. So its more interesting i guess.

But i wonder if i can have some help on the quran. I have read it two times. One times unchronological (Basically as it is). And chronologically (The datings when it was revealed).

I have read it and i kinda get some stuff about it. Yet its so hard to understand, like some stuff are really convoluted. Just wondering what you guys think

Hello Faih.

I don't know what to say. I advise you to take your time on studying Islam from proper sources. Visit a mosque if you would like or contact some people from your area if you feel comfortable with that.

As a member here I would try to help you with understanding Islam is asked.

Mohammad Nur Syamsu

Its mostly due to scholarly stuff on Jesus. Like ebionites stuff, historicity of Jesus (Watched some stuff by Bart Ehrman) etc that i've figured that islam seem to make most sense i feel.

Although i dont trust Hadiths, and i have some doubts whether quran is 100% well preserved. Considering manuscript differences. But still, there seem to be somewhat more correct in the case of Jesus... i dunno to be honest : 3. But its like religions claims this and that. So its more interesting i guess.

But i wonder if i can have some help on the quran. I have read it two times. One times unchronological (Basically as it is). And chronologically (The datings when it was revealed).

I have read it and i kinda get some stuff about it. Yet its so hard to understand, like some stuff are really convoluted. Just wondering what you guys think

Islam contrasts from Christianity by that there is more simplicity and straightforwardness in Islam. The concept of Jesus as son of God dying for the sins of the people, is a lot more complicated than belief in God. Also the Quran has straightforward practical advice, like getting a receipt for transactions, while the bible is more esoteric and idealistic. Muslims in principle act more like people as God created them, with jealousies and pride and all, while Christians more strive for a high ideal of goodness. In Islam the emphasis is on God's mercy and benificience much, so that a little goodness of muslims, provides a lot of bounty, while in Christianity there is more emphasis on perfect goodness for Christians.

Last edited:

sule007

I think what you can accept as the word of God depends on what you would expect from an all knowing and perfect deity
g.png
agreed with you

JFish123

You have salvation through Jesus Christ and no other. For ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. That is why God in His infinite Love gave us Jesus to Deliver us from sin. No other religion, or belief can give you such acceptance, security, and significance :)

Sakeenah

You have salvation through Jesus Christ and no other. For ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. That is why God in His infinite Love gave us Jesus to Deliver us from sin. No other religion, or belief can give you such acceptance, security, and significance :)

I belief God send Jesus out of His love for us not to worship Jesus but to follow and love him as a prophet and messenger. I belief Jesus came with the message of worshipping the Creator and not creation.
:)

TheSounding

village idiot

Peace and blessings,

How can you condemn Islam by implication when you cannot be certain of your own persuasion and prove the redemptive power of the resurrection? Provide your proof. Where is your evidence, your documentation, your exhibits, your manifest confirmation, your facts? How can you make such a pretentious statement?

Instead of us hijacking someone else's thread, unless the OP is fine with it, perhaps you'd like to discuss this further in a new thread? And hopefully you will at least try to substantiate your statement.

God bless.

Last edited:

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member

mojtaba

But i find it weird why muhammad would need info from the people of the book when he is the messenger of allah?
Surat Yunus [10:94] - The Noble Qur'an - القرآن الكريم
Hello.

Brother Shia Islam said the truth:" Some time God would talk to the prophet, but the actual target of the talk is the others.. ".

The ff verses prove this:
Al-Isra:
[O, Muhammad] Your Lord has decreed that you shall not worship anyone except Him, and [He has enjoined] kindness to parents. Should any of them or both reach old age at your side[ O, Muhammad ], do not say to them, ‘Fie!’ And do not chide them, but speak to them noble words. (23) Lower the wing of humility to them, mercifully, and say, ‘My Lord! Have mercy on them, just as they reared me when I was [a] small [child]!’ (24)

The parents of Prophet Muhammad(pease be upon Him and His pure Progeny) had died when these verses revealed to Him.So He did not have mother and father. Therefore, these two verses are addressed in the form, to Prophet, but in substance, they are addressed to the Muslims.

So the verse which you have mentioned[ 10:94 ] means:

So if you(i.e., your companions) are in doubt about what We have sent down to you, [you (i.e., they)] shoulde ask those who read the Scripture [revealed] before you.

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
Hello.

Brother Shia Islam said the truth:" Some time God would talk to the prophet, but the actual target of the talk is the others.. ".

The ff verses prove this:
Al-Isra:
[O, Muhammad] Your Lord has decreed that you shall not worship anyone except Him, and [He has enjoined] kindness to parents. Should any of them or both reach old age at your side[ O, Muhammad ], do not say to them, ‘Fie!’ And do not chide them, but speak to them noble words. (23) Lower the wing of humility to them, mercifully, and say, ‘My Lord! Have mercy on them, just as they reared me when I was [a] small [child]!’ (24)

The parents of Prophet Muhammad(pease be upon Him and His pure Progeny) had died when these verses revealed to Him.So He did not have mother and father. Therefore, these two verses are addressed in the form, to Prophet, but in substance, they are addressed to the Muslims.

So the verse which you have mentioned[ 10:94 ] means:

So if you(i.e., your companions) are in doubt about what We have sent down to you, [you (i.e., they)] shoulde ask those who read the Scripture [revealed] before you.

You gave a really great example

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Welcome to Islam DIR. :)

I would like to start by stating how we are quick to judge in this age of powerful search engines and tons of digital content which allow us to reach to the information we seek in a very fast way. We now can find something in a matter of seconds in which what would have taken years of dedication in the past.

While we can see clearly how useful this is, but on the other hand, i experienced myself how that can be misleading or immature at best. I used to read the Quran selectively through reading what i want to read or what i'm looking for in the verses rather than patiently trying to figure out what the text in front of me trying to say in details and in depth.

For example in the case you have mentioned about the following verse:
Surat Yunus [10:94] - The Noble Qur'an - القرآن الكريم

If someone has read the verse as it is, then he/she will quickly judge it in the way you did, but if you tried to focus on the chapter as a whole, putting in mind the unique nature of the Quran through using implicatures and allegories then only you will be able to gain a deeper understanding.

That's why if you went ahead with the verses in the same chapter you will notice the conclusion the Quran has made near the end of that chapter.

Say, [O Muhammad], "O people, if you are in doubt as to my religion - then I do not worship those which you worship besides Allah ; but I worship Allah , who causes your death. And I have been commanded to be of the believers
http://quran.com/10/104

The same can be observed in so many verses in the Quran and i can provide you with other similar examples if you want.

So, Prophet Mohamed didn't doubt, but it was Allah's way of talking to people who doubt indirectly in the form of talking to Mohamed which is very common in Arabic. It's called تعريض and in English the closest term i found was "implicatures".

That's why i suggest for you to read, not only the Quran, but also books explaining the nature of the Quran, the hidden meanings in it, it's miraculous, language, etc. The Quran is full of secrets and hidden meanings that can be discovered with giving more dedication to it instead of a quick casual read. That's because it's the word of God, not the words of human beings.

I was born a Muslim, but the Quran keeps surprising me year after year, and every time i foolishly think i have nailed it and start to make firm opinions about it, the faster i discover that i'm still at the beginning of the road and that i need to study it more. That's why although Arabic is my mother tongue, but i went back to study Arabic and grammer of Arabic in order for me to understand the Quran more.

As to the matter of the different alleged discrepancies between early Quranic manuscripts and modern version, i wish you will be able to give us some examples because i have studied some early Quranic texts and i'm aware that some might think it look different if they didn't read about 1) the development of written Arabic language from early Islam until today, 2) how the Quran was revealed and compiled. I'm willing to have a discussion about if you gave us some examples so we can compare between the early Quran you are referring to and the current one.

I wish you the best and only advice i can give you is to be patient and take it slowly, and Allah knows best.

If you need help also in any other matter all the brothers and sisters here including myself can help "God willing".

Peace be upon you. :)

Last edited: