• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I stopped listening to Baha'i critique

F1fan

Veteran Member
It is not echo chamber at all, but Baha'is are the best teachers about Baha'i faith, because many have been baha'is for 30-40 years, i have not.

Why listen to someone who isn't baha'i trying to tell me how to be a baha'i.
What is so awesome about this tribe? Frankly I haven't been terribly impressed by the members. They are nice people, but there's something a little off about them. I haven't quite put my finger on it yet. My suspicion is many are very wounded people and they seem happier than they really are. I don't see the religion helping them be honest about their wounds, but acting as if their wounds don't bother them.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
The last month or so the increase of OP about Baha'i faith has made me realize i stopped listening to anyone except other Baha'is.
Many people will call me out on this and say something like "but without us critizising your belief how can you learn??"

Ehmmm well by study the Baha'i teaching..

So I am sorry if this sound bad, but i don't listen anymore.

"NOT DEBATE"

I am sorry to admit that I was guilty of disparaging the Baha'i beliefs in the Homosexuality and religious thread. But after reading a few of Trailblazer's posts, I realized that I was being unfair and unnecessarily judgmental, so I stopped participating in the thread.

I was wrong about the way I behaved, and I apologize. To be honest, I don't think it's wrong of you to want to distance yourself from the constant criticism of your religion. Personally, I have the same feelings whenever Christians accuse me of worshiping false gods because I'm a Wiccan and a polytheist or accuse me of interacting with demonic entities because I communicate with the spirits of the dead. And some Christians had the audacity to accuse me of never having been a "true Christian" despite the fact that I had been a devout Christian for thirty years. Because I didn't adhere to the same doctrines and biblical interpretation that they did, they accused me of following false teachings. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I sympathize with your position and I understand your perspective.

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I see no Baha'i proselyzation, I only see discussion and critique from non-Baha'is.
Most of what I see is anti-Baha'i proselyzation.

proselytize: convert or attempt to convert (someone) from one religion, belief, or opinion to another. https://www.google.com

What Baha'is do you see trying to convert anyone?

Practically the entire Homosexuality and religious. thread is comprised of atheists trying to convince Baha'is that they are wrong about homosexuality. Certain atheists are attempting to convert Baha'is to atheistic opinions about homosexuality.
There are absolutely atheists here who've been dinged on proselyzation, as well as baha'i. Though challenging beliefs in general isnt proselyzation according to our rules. If we agreed that trying to change anyones opinion was the same as proselyzation then every debate would be ruled as such, and we do not, but specifically trying to convert or deconvert from a religion and failure to use qualifying language.

Even if I wanted to go over my opinions on it in detail, this wouldn't be the place for it. The whole point of this thread was *not* to start debates. :p

You can ask my opinion in that thread if you want, or SF if you want to know more about how mods decide R8, though I think we've covered both well enough elsewhere.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What is so awesome about this tribe? Frankly I haven't been terribly impressed by the members. They are nice people, but there's something a little off about them. I haven't quite put my finger on it yet. My suspicion is many are very wounded people and they seem happier than they really are. I don't see the religion helping them be honest about their wounds, but acting as if their wounds don't bother them.
Lol, I do not know any Baha'is who are wounded, except me, which is why I do not fit in very well with most Baha'is, especially off forum in social activities. Baha'is are the happiest people I know, too happy for me to want to be around, since being around happy people only makes be sad. Of course, I have a very good reason to be sad right now and the Baha'is in my local community are always understanding and welcoming, yet they have never pressured me to participate in any Baha'i activities.

I never would have made it through the last three months without the Baha'is in my community and the Baha'is on this forum, who supported me every step of the way. I have no family but the Baha'is are my family, as wherever we go, far and wide, Baha'is consider all other Baha'is as family. I could drive into a new town, call a Baha'i, and they would welcome me to their home.

John D. Brey

The last month or so the increase of OP about Baha'i faith has made me realize i stopped listening to anyone except other Baha'is.
Many people will call me out on this and say something like "but without us critizising your belief how can you learn??"

Ehmmm well by study the Baha'i teaching..

So I am sorry if this sound bad, but i don't listen anymore.

"NOT DEBATE"

. . . Would Baháʼu'lláh countenance, or encourage, that xenophobic phobia toward dialogue? Surely he would send you out as sheep among wolves. But would send you out nevertheless? What's a greater witness to faith than to display the stigmatic wounds received in the house of friends.

John

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Sorry.

But in all honesty, it does sound bad.

The way I see it, listening to critiques and deciding how much attention they deserve isn't at all optional.

Particularly for matters of belief that involve values with effects on others.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I am sorry to admit that I was guilty of disparaging the Baha'i beliefs in the Homosexuality and religious thread. But after reading a few of Trailblazer's posts, I realized that I was being unfair and unnecessarily judgmental, so I stopped participating in the thread.

I was wrong about the way I behaved, and I apologize. To be honest, I don't think it's wrong of you to want to distance yourself from the constant criticism of your religion. Personally, I have the same feelings whenever Christians accuse me of worshiping false gods because I'm a Wiccan and a polytheist or accuse me of interacting with demonic entities because I communicate with the spirits of the dead. And some Christians had the audacity to accuse me of never having been a "true Christian" despite the fact that I had been a devout Christian for thirty years. Because I didn't adhere to the same doctrines and biblical interpretation that they did, they accused me of following false teachings. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I sympathize with your position and I understand your perspective.
@Sgt. Pepper you have never been unkind to me, and of course you have your right to disagree with Baha'i teaching. What I got tired of was unkind comments that was said to hurt or brake down Baha'i faith

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
One of the reason i keep coming back to this topic, is not because i feel sore or hurted personally, it is to make sure haters of religions will understand that over time,their effort to brake down religious people only lead to disliking the haters as people.
To disagree with religion will always be ok, it is the way the critique is given that is done incorrect. And often those who critique are not interested in the answer, they only seek to make believers uncertain and doubtful of them self.

This time, as a baha'i, those tricks does not work on me, no, you only make me understand Baha'i teaching is right for me (and probably wrong for you)

Last edited:

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
but specifically trying to convert or deconvert from a religion and failure to use qualifying language.
In my opinion, there was some of that in the homosexuality thread, specifically trying to unconvert Seeker. I did report that. Of course you can't discuss what you did with that. My vote or opinion doesn't count on that.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
To disagree with religion will always be ok, it is the way the critique is given that is done incorrect. And often those who critique are not interested in the answer, they o ly seek to make believers uncertain and doubtful of them self.
Exactly. I saw someone try to do that to you in that homosexuality thread, and I reported it. Whatever they did was up to them. I could see that it wasn't working, I wasn't worried when I looked further at your responses. By now, they have little effect on you. If someone tears down the Baha'i Faith, no doubt you do some research to see what the truth is. That has the effect of strengthening your faith in the end. I know I have been in forums for years and have learned a lot about the Baha'i Faith because I had to research something when someone was trying to tear it down.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In my opinion, there was some of that in the homosexuality thread, specifically trying to unconvert Seeker. I did report that. Of course you can't discuss what you did with that. My vote or opinion doesn't count on that.
Seeker of white light found the true path to God through Baha'i faith.every day my faith get stronger, every day i see more clear that those who critique in a negative way fear Baha'i because they have to change themselves, and Baha'i teaching do change people to become people of love and light.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Exactly. I saw someone try to do that to you in that homosexuality thread, and I reported it. Whatever they did was up to them. I could see that it wasn't working, I wasn't worried when I looked further at your responses. By now, they have little effect on you. If someone tears down the Baha'i Faith, no doubt you do some research to see what the truth is. That has the effect of strengthening your faith in the end. I know I have been in forums for years and have learned a lot about the Baha'i Faith because I had to research something when someone was trying to tear it down.
Yes, scripture show me the truth and the way to build armor around me in spiritual battle (not war)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
May our eyes be ever awake; may the windows of our minds be flung awide, so that when the messenger appeareth, we may not be deprived of his glory through the veils of preconceived ideas; so that when the heavenly herald shouts the word of God, we may not be deaf; so that when the holy fragrance of the paradise of the Almighty be diffused, our nostrils may not be afflicted with cold. May we be enabled to inhale the perfume, behold the splendor, hearken to the voice and be regenerated with the spirit of the new day. – Abdu’l-Baha, Divine Philosophy, p. 171.

Audie

Veteran Member
Sorry.

But in all honesty, it does sound bad.

The way I see it, listening to critiques and deciding how much attention they deserve isn't at all optional.

Particularly for matters of belief that involve values with effects on others.

It's far worse than any of that