• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I stopped listening to Baha'i critique

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The last month or so the increase of OP about Baha'i faith has made me realize i stopped listening to anyone except other Baha'is.
Many people will call me out on this and say something like "but without us critizising your belief how can you learn??"

Ehmmm well by study the Baha'i teaching..

So I am sorry if this sound bad, but i don't listen anymore.

"NOT DEBATE"

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
How about instead of shutting yourself from others' criticism you realize that every religion or lack thereof is made from imperfect people with imperfect ideas? Even my idea of theological Exaltism and cultural Omnism is very flawed, mostly because it isn't widespread enough for people to understand what it actually means. The Baha'i Faith is a great religion and I'm proud that you stuck with in despite criticism, but you shouldn't be woefully ignorant towards the criticism people have of it. I am not not trying to have an argument with you but to understand who you are and where your thoughts come from. If you can at least do the same for me we together can grow in mutual understanding and discovery from each other.

Come on.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The last month or so the increase of OP about Baha'i faith has made me realize i stopped listening to anyone except other Baha'is.
Many people will call me out on this and say something like "but without us critizising your belief how can you learn??"

Ehmmm well by study the Baha'i teaching..

So I am sorry if this sound bad, but i don't listen anymore.

"NOT DEBATE"
I give you one week, tops. ;)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
How about instead of shutting yourself from others' criticism you realize that every religion or lack thereof is made from imperfect people with imperfect ideas? Even my idea of theological Exaltism and cultural Omnism is very flawed, mostly because it isn't widespread enough for people to understand what it actually means. The Baha'i Faith is a great religion and I'm proud that you stuck with in despite criticism, but you shouldn't be woefully ignorant towards the criticism people have of it. I am not not trying to have an argument with you but to understand who you are and where your thoughts come from. If you can at least do the same for me we together can grow in mutual understanding and discovery from each other.

Come on.
I listen to God for guidance, and discuss topics with fellow Baha'is.
Fellow Baha'is has the wisdom about the teaching that i would need to develop further.

Thats all i need

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
It is not echo chamber at all, but Baha'is are the best teachers about Baha'i faith, because many have been baha'is for 30-40 years, i have not.

Why listen to someone who isn't baha'i trying to tell me how to be a baha'i.

But I'm not trying to teach you how to be a Baha'i, I just want to explain to you my point of view, which happens to not be endorsed by the Baha'i Faith.

Dude, if you want an echo chamber I just gave you a link to the Baha'i Forums, they are probably all Baha'is and could teach you to become a more diligent Baha'i who can listen to criticism.

Look, I realize that I offered pretty deep criticism against the Baha'i Faith for you recently. I still think that the religion is one of world's best religions. I respect both you and the Baha'i Faith deeply, even if I don't hold the same position.

Grow a backbone and learn that everybody, even the Manifestations, are imperfect. Please.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
As a religious minority, I can sympathize with this.

You will often get told by outsiders what you believe and practice, while not being listened to when you explain what you actually believe and do. Sometimes you get erased out of existence with people rewriting your narratives and replacing it with their interpretation of what you're supposed to be.

Because your way of doing things is so different from the mainstream, you get asked questions that make no sense within the context of your tradition... that you are expected to answer anyway. Those answers are almost inevitably inadequate and hard to parse and that introduces more criticism.

Outsiders don't listen to us, so why listen to them?

Yeah.
I get it. It's a decision you have to make, really. How much to throw "pearls before swine" as it were or how much to keep silent. For me, I aim to discern the difference between folks who are asking questions to learn and understand versus those who are asking to ... well... not. It isn't always easy to tell, so I extend the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Viker

Häxan
As a religious minority, I can sympathize with this.

You will often get told by outsiders what you believe and practice, while not being listened to when you explain what you actually believe and do. Sometimes you get erased out of existence with people rewriting your narratives and replacing it with their interpretation of what you're supposed to be.

Because your way of doing things is so different from the mainstream, you get asked questions that make no sense within the context of your tradition... that you are expected to answer anyway. Those answers are almost inevitably inadequate and hard to parse and that introduces more criticism.

Outsiders don't listen to us, so why listen to them?

Yeah.
I get it. It's a decision you have to make, really. How much to throw "pearls before swine" as it were or how much to keep silent. For me, I aim to discern the difference between folks who are asking questions to learn and understand versus those who are asking to ... well... not. It isn't always easy to tell, so I extend the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.
Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
But I'm not trying to teach you how to be a Baha'i, I just want to explain to you my point of view, which happens to not be endorsed by the Baha'i Faith.

Dude, if you want an echo chamber I just gave you a link to the Baha'i Forums, they are probably all Baha'is and could teach you to become a more diligent Baha'i who can listen to criticism.

Look, I realize that I offered pretty deep criticism against the Baha'i Faith for you recently. I still think that the religion is one of world's best religions. I respect both you and the Baha'i Faith deeply, even if I don't hold the same position.

Grow a backbone and learn that everybody, even the Manifestations, are imperfect. Please.
You are far from the one i would call a critique of Baha'i :)
My backbone is to stand firm in my belief, a d not eat crap that some people trying to serve me here in RF.
I do my own study and research in my faith.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You're not interested in Baha'i critique, I'm not interested in Baha'i proselyzation. Sounds like we're perfect tea time friends. :D

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I can handle critique from God or fellow Baha'is, but gone tired of non baha'is who want to teach me "the right way to believe"
or not to believe at all..... That is why they are mad, because they cannot extricate your belief away from you....
The firmer you are in your faith the more they come at you.
I ought to know because I have been posting to atheists regularly for 10 years, it's a pattern.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You're not interested in Baha'i critique, I'm not interested in Baha'i proselyzation. Sounds like we're perfect tea time friends. :D
I see no Baha'i proselyzation, I only see discussion and critique from non-Baha'is.
Most of what I see is anti-Baha'i proselyzation.

proselytize: convert or attempt to convert (someone) from one religion, belief, or opinion to another. https://www.google.com

What Baha'is do you see trying to convert anyone?

Practically the entire Homosexuality and religious. thread is comprised of atheists trying to convince Baha'is that they are wrong about homosexuality. Certain atheists are attempting to convert Baha'is to atheistic opinions about homosexuality.