• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I made my favorite gumbo recipe.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The Cynical Cook: Cooking the Book - Real Cajun - Fried Chicken and Andouille Gumbo

Amazing gumbo. My special touch is to use my homemade turkey broth, I still had some frozen from Christmas.

Right after Christmas, or Thanksgiving, is over I take the turkey carcass, I do not bother to clean all the meat off of it. And I boil it until the bones fall apart. That gives me a huge pot of "broth". With all of the meat in it it probably does not qualify as such. I make a batch of this after the holiday and freeze the rest. I could not stand the taunting by the frozen broth any more so I broke into it.

This takes a good six hours of cooking time, but it is well worth it.

This time I used 2 pounds of frozen okra. It might be a bit much for those that are not okra fans.

4consideration

Premium Member
The Cynical Cook: Cooking the Book - Real Cajun - Fried Chicken and Andouille Gumbo

Amazing gumbo. My special touch is to use my homemade turkey broth, I still had some frozen from Christmas.

Right after Christmas, or Thanksgiving, is over I take the turkey carcass, I do not bother to clean all the meat off of it. And I boil it until the bones fall apart. That gives me a huge pot of "broth". With all of the meat in it it probably does not qualify as such. I make a batch of this after the holiday and freeze the rest. I could not stand the taunting by the frozen broth any more so I broke into it.

This takes a good six hours of cooking time, but it is well worth it.

This time I used 2 pounds of frozen okra. It might be a bit much for those that are not okra fans.
I do the same thing with my turkey leftovers, and make a very similar gumbo -- although I usually add some shrimp, too.

We usually also do one of these two things when I make gumbo.

1. If I make a potato salad, a scoop of it in the bowl along with the rice and gumbo is great.

2. Or, when the gumbo is finished, get it to a nice gentle boil and crack eggs around in the pot (not on top of each other). Wait a little and stir gently -- so that you don't break up the eggs -- and they will (for the most part) boil as a whole egg. After enough time that you figure it's cooked through, you can serve an egg in each bowl for whoever wants it. It's really good.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I had a major "DOH!!" moment. I was so hungry that I forgot a key ingredient. The gumbo is good, but I forgot the final touch. One needs the correct condiments:

4840000429cf_1.gif

I had an unopened bottle in the pantry waiting for me. Luckily I made a LOT of gumbo. I corrected my error, all is good with the world.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I had a major "DOH!!" moment. I was so hungry that I forgot a key ingredient. The gumbo is good, but I forgot the final touch. One needs the correct condiments:

4840000429cf_1.gif

I had an unopened bottle in the pantry waiting for me. Luckily I made a LOT of gumbo. I corrected my error, all is good with the world.
I heard a rumor that some people use......
th

This would be grounds for capital punishment.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Verdict, it is an improvement over no hot sauce at all, but the Crystal is the winner for now.

I am in full taste testing mode now. I also have this:

5f1775fb-e0f1-4903-a383-7130651527ce_1.d97e24a21581aa07e2add93277c51b74.jpeg

Not bad, better than the previous. I do believe that the former Asian hot sauce is meant to be cooked in. Still prefer the Crystal.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
This one isn't bad, but I think they are not honest in their ingredients:

5_oz_bottle_large.jpg

According to the label the number one ingredient is habanero peppers. Yet it is milder than the Crystal. No vinegar so if that is a turn off it is a plus for some.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Verdict, it is an improvement over no hot sauce at all, but the Crystal is the winner for now.

I am in full taste testing mode now. I also have this:

5f1775fb-e0f1-4903-a383-7130651527ce_1.d97e24a21581aa07e2add93277c51b74.jpeg

Not bad, better than the previous. I do believe that the former Asian hot sauce is meant to be cooked in. Still prefer the Crystal.
I like this chili & bean sauce,
but not for gumbo....
chilibeanpaste.jpg

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The last one I tired is Bulliard's Louisiana Chipotle pepper sauce. I can't find an appropriate image. The Crystal extra hot is still the winner. One of its pluses is that it comes out a bit faster than one thinks that it will . . . Oh Noessss! Too much hot sauce, what will I do:eek:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And the experiment is over. I settled down on the Crystal. It makes sense that a Louisiana product would taste best on gumbo. Now I need to get something hot for when I have the craving for a bit more heat than the sauces I have right now.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It's rather mild.
In the range of Frank's & Crystal.

Of course one does not eat hot sauces just for the heat. What they are made with can make a huge difference, and the fermented soy beans intrigues me. I like miso soup, I even like Nattō - Wikipedia . I noticed a similarity to okra. When you fry okra it will look somewhat like this:

Natto_on_rice.jpg

Both foods make "snot strings".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And the experiment is over. I settled down on the Crystal. It makes sense that a Louisiana product would taste best on gumbo. Now I need to get something hot for when I have the craving for a bit more heat than the sauces I have right now.
I recommend Tabasco for the next level up.
More needed?
Look for habenero or scotch bonnet (non-fermented).