• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I love your religion

wgw

I am a member of the Orthodox Church and am not looking to change, but I just wanted to tell you Sikhs, I love your religion. Growing up one of my best friends was a Sikh boy named Hartaj, he had not yet been baptized but I suspect he has been now; his parents were baptized I believe and were so nice to us. They owned a grocery store. This meant when I came over to play, we would munch on microwaveable pizzas we would hear up in the break room, and then play in fortresses we erected in the parking lot using shipping crates. We were in the fourth grade, 9-10 years old.mmsadly next year my family moved. I still love Sikhism though: I love your egalitarianism, your monotheism, your tradition of service through the Langar, your Nihangs with their elephants and horses, and your ethic of being warrior saints, dedicating yourself to protection of the weak from would be oppressors. I love your Guru Granth Sahib and it's beautiful verses. I Wish several million of you would settle in Iraq, Syria and Turkey to protect the Christians and other religious minorities, such as the Yazidis, Alevis and Mandaeans, several of which are by nature non violent (Mandaeans are prohibited to take up arms for example). :)

I pray that eternal friendship may exist between Eastern Orthodox Christians and our Sikh brothers and sisters. Our religions are in some ways very different, in that in my faith we have priests, for example, and do not believe in reincarnation or the other common aspects of the Indian religious tradition, but in other respects are very (Both our faiths are monotheistic, have sacred scriptures, and practice baptism). Like Sikhs, Orthodox clergy and monks also don't shave and often do not cut their hair, and some Oriental Orthodox like the Syriac Orthodox and Coptic Orthodox wear turbans, usually black due to Islamic dhimmi status, but sometimes white during the liturgy. I feel a deep kinship with the Sikhs. Of the four major religions of Indian origin (not counting Zoroastrianism, which seems to be a faith composed in opposition to Hindu theology, but which uses a similar language and similar priestly rituals to those of the Brahmins, and which had an influence on my own tradition, but which probably emerged in Iran or Pakistan, at the border of the Indian sphere of cultural influence), I believe Sikhism to be the most beautiful, and the closest to my own faith in terms of what I feel is a genuine sense of love and compassion for people. The idea of the Langar as a blessing, on the grounds that service to people is service to God, is essentially the theology of the soup kitchens operated by the Orthodox Christians. The underlying theology is subtly different, if I understand your faith, in that correct me if I'm wrong, Sikhism is Pantheistic and the people being served are literally a part of the One God, whereas in Orthodoxy human beings are made in the image of God, but the result of these divergent theological concepts is the same: God is served by serving human beings.

wgw

I can't answer that as I am not a Sikh. I can tell you the Muslims tried repeatedly to kill all the Sikhs, so the relations between the Sikhs and the Muslims are not particularly warm. The Sikhs are to my knowledge not universalists even in the manner of some Hindus and I would not expect nor be offended if they did not regard the Bible as a holy book. To my knowledge the main Holy Book for the Sikhs is the Guru Granth Sahib; they have some other scriptures of secondary importance, but the Guru Granth Sahib, which is a wonderful book, is their Guru, and is venerated in the same manner as its human predecessors, the last of whom, Guru Gobindh Singh, died in the 18th century.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
what do Sikhs think about the Bible and the Koran?

Depends on the Sikh. My mother grew up in a Fijian Village populated by mainly Sikhs and Muslims. Most of my mother's old friends don't have any real qualms about the Bible or Quran and some even revere them both as the Holy Word of God. But I don't think it's universal, just like it's not universal amongst all Sikhs that underage marriage is condoned. (I don't know why I mentioned that. I guess I was always kind of freaked out by those stories of kids being married off my Mum told me growing up.) You're bound to find all sorts of opinions amongst the Sikh community as a whole.

Last edited:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Depends on the Sikh. My mother grew up in a Fijian Village populated by mainly Sikhs and Muslims. Most of my mother's old friends don't have any real qualms about the Bible or Quran and some even revere them both as the Holy Word of God. But I don't think it's universal, just like it's not universal amongst all Sikhs that underage marriage is condoned. (I don't know why I mentioned that. I guess I was always kind of freaked out by those stories of kids being married off my Mum told me growing up.) You're bound to find all sorts of opinions amongst the Sikh community as a whole.
That is beautiful!

Spiderman

Veteran Member
it is beautiful to accept the Bible and the Koran and accept the Golden rule and the new Covenant to do unto others as you would have them do unto you! That would bring world peace and Utopia!

wgw

it is beautiful to accept the Bible and the Koran and accept the Golden rule and the new Covenant to do unto others as you would have them do unto you! That would bring world peace and Utopia!

Except the Quran teaches that it exclusively is the unadulterated message of God, and instructs Muslims to oppress dhimmis, or People of the Book (Christians, Jews, Mandaeans and Zoroastrians) with violence, and slaughter Sikhs, Hindus and members of other religions who do not convert.

The only Muslims I've found who reject this teaching are the Alevis of Turkey, but they are a folk religion that doesn't really regard the Quran as their central text, and is closer in belief to Christianity.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Except the Quran ......... instructs Muslims to oppress dhimmis, or People of the Book (Christians, Jews, Mandaeans and Zoroastrians) with violence, and slaughter Sikhs, Hindus and members of other religions who do not convert.

It is Sikhism DIR.
Following answer is being given in good spirit of learning and friendship to a remark.

Peace be on all.

Please note:
[Holy Quran ch42:v14] He has prescribed for you the religion which He enjoined on Noah, and which We have revealed to thee, and which We enjoined on Abraham and Moses and Jesus, saying, ‘Remain steadfast in obedience, and be not divided therein. Hard upon the idolaters is that to which thou callest them. Allah chooses for Himself whom He pleases, and guides to Himself him who turns to Him.’

The base of Quran is same as of previous religions it does not ask Muslims to go a kill others as you erroneously think. Furthermore it ask:

[5:9] O ye who believe! be steadfast in the cause of Allah, bearing witness in equity; and let not a people’s enmity incite you to act otherwise than with justice. Be always just, that is nearer to righteousness. And fear Allah. Surely, Allah is aware of what you do.

In the beginning of Islam, Muslims were not allowed to answer back the persecution, after 13 years they were allowed and look the reason which included defense of non-muslim places of worship:

[22:40] Permission to fight is given to those against whom war is made, because they have been wronged — and Allah indeed has power to help them —
[22:41] Those who have been driven out from their homes unjustly only because they said, ‘Our Lord is Allah’ — And if Allah did not repel some men by means of others, there would surely have been pulled down cloisters and churches and synagogues and mosques, wherein the name of Allah is oft commemorated. And Allah will surely help one who helps Him. Allah is indeed Powerful, Mighty —

Islam recognizes the pious people of previous religions too:

[2:63] Surely, the Believers, and the Jews, and the Christians and the Sabians — whichever party from among these truly believes in Allah and the Last Day and does good deeds — shall have their reward with their Lord, and no fear shall come upon them, nor shall they grieve.

Islam is fully evolved version of religious evolution:

[5:4] ".........This day have those who disbelieve despaired of harming your religion. So fear them not, but fear Me. This day have I perfected your religion for you and completed My favour upon you and have chosen for you Islam as religion......"

True Islam does not ask Muslims to go kill all non Muslim, if it does how can it spread worldwide, which it is its goal!
http://www.alislam.org/library/books/World-Crisis-and-Pathway-to-Peace.pdf

Good wishes for everyone.

Last edited:

Treks

what do Sikhs think about the Bible and the Koran?

As SomeRandom aptly said, opinions vary from Sikh to Sikh.

The official position according to the Sikh Code of Conduct (page 11):

Not believing in or according any authority to Muslim seers, Brahmins holiness, soothsayers,
clairvoyants, oracles, promise of an offering on the fulfillment of a wish, offering of sweet loaves
or rice pudding at graves on fulfillment of wishes, the Vedas, the Shastras, the Gayatri (Hindu
scriptural prayer unto the sun), the Gita, the Quran, the Bible, etc.. However, the study of the
books of other faiths for general self-education is admissible.

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji says that God is not contained in holy books, and attachment to them is false. True religion is practicing what is preached; God is found in life, not in pages. Reading is one thing; contemplating, understand and living is another. :)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Except the Quran teaches that it exclusively is the unadulterated message of God, and instructs Muslims to oppress dhimmis, or People of the Book (Christians, Jews, Mandaeans and Zoroastrians) with violence, and slaughter Sikhs, Hindus and members of other religions who do not convert.

The only Muslims I've found who reject this teaching are the Alevis of Turkey, but they are a folk religion that doesn't really regard the Quran as their central text, and is closer in belief to Christianity.
Thank you! I guess there is no way around it.

Treks

And yet there is writing by Muslims in the Sikh scripture, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Guru Nanak Sahib was the first human Sikh Guru, and his best friend, travelling companion and accompanying musician was a Muslim. :)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It is Sikhism DIR.
Following answer is being given in good spirit of learning and friendship to a remark.

Peace be on all.

Please note:
[42:14] He has prescribed for you the religion which He enjoined on Noah, and which We have revealed to thee, and which We enjoined on Abraham and Moses and Jesus, saying, ‘Remain steadfast in obedience, and be not divided therein. Hard upon the idolaters is that to which thou callest them. Allah chooses for Himself whom He pleases, and guides to Himself him who turns to Him.’

The base of Quran is same as of previous religions it does not ask Muslims to go a kill others as you erroneously think. Furthermore it ask:

[5:9] O ye who believe! be steadfast in the cause of Allah, bearing witness in equity; and let not a people’s enmity incite you to act otherwise than with justice. Be always just, that is nearer to righteousness. And fear Allah. Surely, Allah is aware of what you do.

In the beginning of Islam, Muslims were not allowed to answer back the persecution, after 13 years they were allowed and look the reason which included defense of non-muslim places of worship:

[22:40] Permission to fight is given to those against whom war is made, because they have been wronged — and Allah indeed has power to help them —
[22:41] Those who have been driven out from their homes unjustly only because they said, ‘Our Lord is Allah’ — And if Allah did not repel some men by means of others, there would surely have been pulled down cloisters and churches and synagogues and mosques, wherein the name of Allah is oft commemorated. And Allah will surely help one who helps Him. Allah is indeed Powerful, Mighty —

Islam recognize the pious people of previous people or religions too:

[2:63] Surely, the Believers, and the Jews, and the Christians and the Sabians — whichever party from among these trulybelieves in Allah and the Last Day and does good deeds — shall have their reward with their Lord, and no fear shall comeupon them, nor shall they grieve.

Islam is fully evolved version of religious evolution:

[5:4] ".........This day have those who disbelieve despaired of harming your religion. So fear them not, but fear Me. This day have I perfected your religion for you and completed My favour upon you and have chosen for you Islam as religion......"

True Islam does not ask Muslims to go kill all non Muslim, if it does how can it spread worldwide, which it is its goal!
http://www.alislam.org/library/books/World-Crisis-and-Pathway-to-Peace.pdf

Good wishes for everyone.
Thank you very much!

Good information!

Praise Allah!
wp_s_praise-allah_1024x768.jpg

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
I was in charge of the largest receiving dock at a General Motors plant.
There were several Sikh men who owned their own rigs.It took about a hlf an hour to unload one truck so the sikh drivers would strike up a conversation with me often.Nicest, most curtious men I ever met.

negar

quran doesn't say oppress the people of book or any one else
Unless they want to kill you or want to drive you out from your home....

GURSIKH

chardi kla
I am a member of the Orthodox Church and am not looking to change, but I just wanted to tell you Sikhs, I love your religion. Growing up one of my best friends was a Sikh boy named Hartaj, he had not yet been baptized but I suspect he has been now; his parents were baptized I believe and were so nice to us. They owned a grocery store. This meant when I came over to play, we would munch on microwaveable pizzas we would hear up in the break room, and then play in fortresses we erected in the parking lot using shipping crates. We were in the fourth grade, 9-10 years old.mmsadly next year my family moved. I still love Sikhism though: I love your egalitarianism, your monotheism, your tradition of service through the Langar, your Nihangs with their elephants and horses, and your ethic of being warrior saints, dedicating yourself to protection of the weak from would be oppressors. I love your Guru Granth Sahib and it's beautiful verses. I Wish several million of you would settle in Iraq, Syria and Turkey to protect the Christians and other religious minorities, such as the Yazidis, Alevis and Mandaeans, several of which are by nature non violent (Mandaeans are prohibited to take up arms for example). :)

I pray that eternal friendship may exist between Eastern Orthodox Christians and our Sikh brothers and sisters. Our religions are in some ways very different, in that in my faith we have priests, for example, and do not believe in reincarnation or the other common aspects of the Indian religious tradition, but in other respects are very (Both our faiths are monotheistic, have sacred scriptures, and practice baptism). Like Sikhs, Orthodox clergy and monks also don't shave and often do not cut their hair, and some Oriental Orthodox like the Syriac Orthodox and Coptic Orthodox wear turbans, usually black due to Islamic dhimmi status, but sometimes white during the liturgy. I feel a deep kinship with the Sikhs. Of the four major religions of Indian origin (not counting Zoroastrianism, which seems to be a faith composed in opposition to Hindu theology, but which uses a similar language and similar priestly rituals to those of the Brahmins, and which had an influence on my own tradition, but which probably emerged in Iran or Pakistan, at the border of the Indian sphere of cultural influence), I believe Sikhism to be the most beautiful, and the closest to my own faith in terms of what I feel is a genuine sense of love and compassion for people. The idea of the Langar as a blessing, on the grounds that service to people is service to God, is essentially the theology of the soup kitchens operated by the Orthodox Christians. The underlying theology is subtly different, if I understand your faith, in that correct me if I'm wrong, Sikhism is Pantheistic and the people being served are literally a part of the One God, whereas in Orthodoxy human beings are made in the image of God, but the result of these divergent theological concepts is the same: God is served by serving human beings.
Thanks for love ly post :):)

Baladas

An Págánach
I also deeply admire Sikhi, and I love all that you do for the world. I especially love the way that meals are given to whoever might need them.
Though I am no longer a Christian, I can't help but feel that they (and all of us) could learn a lot from the wisdom of your faith.
In the Christian gospels, Jesus said that whoever gave a cup of cold water to someone in need, they did so to God. As a former Christian, his teachings were called to mind as soon as I began to learn about your traditions.

Treks

Seeking Truth Ji

Thank you for your post.

Bhai Kanhaiya did just that - giving out water. When Guru Ji's army was fighting against the invading Moghuls, Bhai Ji was giving out water to the fallen soldiers on both sides. When Guru Ji asked him why he was giving water to the enemy, Bhai Ji replied that he could only see human beings in need, and we all have the same spirit of the creative force within us, and Sikhs are taught to treat everyone the same.

Guru Ji was impressed with his response and gave him healing balm to apply to the wounded on both sides.

There is now a volunteer group set up in Bhai Ji's name.

So in this Sikhs do have a common ground with Christians.

Gurfateh!