• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Know What God Fears

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Being ignored, else why would he desire to be worshipped? What do we call humans who want to be the center of attention?

There is a fantasy book by Terry Pratchett called "Small gods". One of the themes that weaves through the story is the result of gods who are deserted, neglected.

Gods need worshipers to retain the capital G.

Lain

else why would he desire to be worshipped?

I'm not sure, you tell me more about this being you speak of, since right out the gate I know this thread has nothing to do with the Supreme Deity I acknowledge (by the word "fears," as it has nothing to do with His nature, and especially of being ignored).

Last edited:

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Being ignored, else why would he desire to be worshipped? What do we call humans who want to be the center of attention?

Worldliness is a realm of opportunity given to Man by God, not for God.

If he chooses, Man has in worldliness, a chance to learn and grow spiritually. But Man is free to choose to worship a “worldly god”* instead and see where that leads him.

*) By “worldly gods” are meant things like pride, greed, ambition, wealth, status, control, power, etc.

Many religions advise that he who longs for inner harmony and peace, ought worship only God, for in the worship of worldliness lays only turmoil to be found.

Humbly
Hermit

The Crimson Universe

People are very good at assigning human qualities to God, aren't they? Not only does he desire, now he fears?

Any scripture to back up the claim that God fears?

I think what @Link meant by 'fear' is that God is 'concerned' about us who are lost. I too used to think that God demands worship. But now it seems to me that God doesn't really 'demand' it.
He simply wants us all to return to heaven or paradise. And the path towards heaven is love, devotion and faith towards God. Then there are other paths as well (like meditation, for followers of eastern religions). God doesn't want us to remain lost in this miserable world. That's how i see it :=)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

That's your idea of God, the God of the Bible. That's not the only god. In my view he is just another demi-god from another pantheon of another culture who happens to have a jealous nature. There are far more gods of other pantheons are are anything but interested in being worshiped and who get their jimmies rustled if they're not.

"There is nothing in the three worlds for me to gain, Arjuna, nor is there anything I do not have; I continue to act, but I am not driven by any need of my own". Bhagavad Gita 3.22

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
If only he was.

I don't know if it's humorous or profoundly sad how many people let the man take up so much room in their heads. Since Sleepy Joe Hidin' Biden has done virtually nothing, and there's nothing to lionize him for, I suppose the next best thing is to keep Trump worming through their brains. It's sad, really.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I think people tend to assume that God wants to be worshipped...or is even capable of desire.
It seems the root of the claim of theists who want their God worshipped is for their benefit. They want more adherents to their God/religion to gain more power and influence in society. Other theists and non-theists are very much thumbing their noses at their God by not recognizing it. This seems to be interpreted as personal as in "How dare you reject my God?"

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think what @Link meant by 'fear' is that God is 'concerned' about us who are lost. I too used to think that God demands worship. But now it seems to me that God doesn't really 'demand' it.
He simply wants us all to return to heaven or paradise. And the path towards heaven is love, devotion and faith towards God. Then there are other paths as well (like meditation, for followers of eastern religions). God doesn't want us to remain lost in this miserable world. That's how i see it :=)

The doors of God are the only way towards the light, where do we go to if not his doors?

We go the darkness and become evil, and hell becomes our destiny while we convince/deceive ourselves we are more honorable then God because we would not punish people for not honoring us and our ways with hell fire.

"So the taste the punishment, indeed, you are the honorable the noble"

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Uh oh. That's going to offend those who worship the "one true God".

Possibly, but being offended is their choice... I put the disclaimer that it's my view. ;)