• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I feel rejected by my parish.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If your church is purposely trying to force you out or is preaching hate then they are not of god.
I don't believe that the church referred to in the OP is doing anything of the sort. That's why I seriously resent you calling them garbage.
I'm between a rock and a hard place in this thread. I am not a Christian in the theological sense. But I am a cultural Catholic and care very much about the Church. So I get annoyed when a Catholic misrepresents the church, and even more so when a bunch of nonCatholics pile on, and according to the rules I am not allowed to be honest in this thread.
But you are posting about "garbage".
Tom

Demonslayer

But I am a cultural Catholic and care very much about the Church. So I get annoyed when a Catholic misrepresents the church

How is a Catholic who portrays a negative stance on homosexuality/transexuality "misrepresenting" the Catholic Church? The church's official stance on both are very negative. The battle against homosexuals is well documented and to this day the official stance of the Church is that gay people should be celibate, and that gay marriage is not real marriage. While there is no official stance against LGBT...likely because the issue wasn't known 2000 years ago...in nearly every case the Church has taken the stance that your genitals determine your gender.

Let's take off our rose colored glasses with regards to the views of the Church on these issues. St. Frankenstein has every right to feel rejected by the Church, because he IS rejected by the Church. Now these days, Pope Francis and many modern Catholics might be slowly but surely moving into a more understanding direction with regards to these issues, but stating the traditionally (and still official) negative view the Church has on these topics is most certainly not "misrepresenting" the Catholic Church. If you're going to come out, for example, and say gay marriage isn't real marriage, you ought to have to stand up for your views.

http://www.hrc.org/resources/stances-of-faiths-on-lgbt-issues-roman-catholic-church

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
St. Frankenstein has every right to feel rejected by the Church, because he IS rejected by the Church.
You obviously don't know much about the RCC. Frank and I both know that his being a satanist and a pagan, without going to confession for years, makes him ineligible for Communion. Frank rejects the Church more than the Church rejects him.
Complaining that the elderly staff aren't current on the postmodern 1st world problems of a gender, orientation and religiously ambiguous person with mental health issues who doesn't go to Mass is Catholic bashing. IMNSHO
Tom

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
You obviously don't know much about the RCC. Frank and I both know that his being a satanist and a pagan, without going to confession for years, makes him ineligible for Communion. Frank rejects the Church more than the Church rejects him.
Complaining that the elderly staff aren't current on the postmodern 1st world problems of a gender, orientation and religiously ambiguous person with mental health issues who doesn't go to Mass is Catholic bashing. IMNSHO
Tom
Wow. You really need to drop your little hate marathon against me that's been going on for over a year now. You have issues. You're not even a Catholic in the first place. Second, you're gay. Aren't you a cute little hypocrite?

If you think you represent the Church in any way, then you can also be blamed for its current decline because your nasty little attitude isn't reflecting the love of God and Christ. Get a grip. With vicious personalities like yours that treat the Church like a damn country club (when you're not even a Catholic in the first place? You're confusing), it's no wonder why so many wonderful people are getting fed up and leaving it.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You're not even a Catholic in the first place. Second, you're gay. Aren't you a cute little hypocrit
And you know what else? I get along with the RCC just fine.
I'm well willing and able to criticise what I think is wrong. I go to Mass, I contribute to the community, and I would never be so disrespectful as to take Communion.
You have rejected them, they probably don't even know you.
Tom

Demonslayer

You obviously don't know much about the RCC.

LOL. I didn't take you for one of these "if you disagree with me you 'obviously don't know'..." people. I was raised in the Catholic Church, and I saw first hand all growing up what the good Catholics said about gay people and transsexuals. If your trying to convince people that the Church has a positive, accepting stance on the issues of homosexuality and transgender, you've got a long row to hoe. Wake me when the Church accepts gay marriage or allows a transgender person to be a godparent. Then we can talk about how wonderfully accepting the Church is. Until then the Church stands as the largest official organization still telling LGBT's that they are not normal and cannot be good parents, etc.

As I said, perhaps the Church is slowly moving towards a more accepting place, but it is a long, long way from being as accepting as it needs to be.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
And you know what else? I get along with the RCC just fine.
I'm well willing and able to criticise what I think is wrong. I go to Mass, I contribute to the community, and I would never be so disrespectful as to take Communion.
You have rejected them, they probably don't even know you.
Tom
Leave me alone. Stay out of my threads and don't ever reply to me or talk about me again. If you continue harassing me, I will go to the staff again about your bullying. Apparently once wasn't enough for you and you need a reminder.

Demonslayer

I would never be so disrespectful as to take Communion.

See this is where I can't understand why some people stick with the church. Are you saying you wouldn't be "so disrespectful" as to take communion because...because why? Why would you taking communion be so disrespectful? Because you're gay? Talk about a slap in the face.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
See this is where I can't understand why some people stick with the church. Are you saying you wouldn't be "so disrespectful" as to take communion because...because why? Why would you taking communion be so disrespectful? Because you're gay? Talk about a slap in the face.
I often wonder why I bother, too. The theology is beautiful but the people often leave a lot to be desired, as people in general do. It's no surprise that I'm a misanthrope. There's way too much judging and rejecting and not enough compassion and striving to understand. I want to love Jesus but people keep driving me away and making me feel like a fool. :(

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Even though they consider you an abomination, unfit for marriage in the eyes of the LORD? It's like an abusive relationship, they treat you like a second class citizen and you say "thank you may I have another?"
The people I go to church with don't. I get more questions about what it is like to be gay in a conservative town than anything abusive. We criticise the church however we want, it's a bit of a sport. It is a community of decent people who I enjoy.
I like some better than others. It's a large community. Some I think are jerks. But mostly they're just regular people who treat me the way I treat them.
Tom

Thana

Lady
I often wonder why I bother, too. The theology is beautiful but the people often leave a lot to be desired, as people in general do. It's no surprise that I'm a misanthrope. There's way too much judging and rejecting and not enough compassion and striving to understand. I want to love Jesus but people keep driving me away and making me feel like a fool. :(

There's always Protestantism...... ^.^

But in all seriousness, There are people out there that you described. You just gotta persevere and find them.
I used to go to a church that was very.. conservative, to say the least. But the people were just so welcoming and kind I ended up joining a KYB group with a bunch of a old ladies and having a blast. They were awesome, And as long as I kept my thoughts on doctrine and my beliefs to myself there were no issues. I understand that some people want to be 'out and proud' so to speak, but a little discretion never hurt anyone. Atleast until you let them get to know you as a person, you don't have to tell them your life story.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Are you saying you wouldn't be "so disrespectful" as to take communion because...because why?

Because to them it is a holy thing. It is an important spiritual ritual, with responsibilities. I know what those are and I don't accept them, so it would be disrespectful of me to take Communion. Instead, I go up with everyone else and get a blessing instead of the host.
Tom

Saint Frankenstein,

First I'm very sorry you feel rejected and it sounds like you have legitimate reasons for those feelings. On the communion issue its probably a good thing to remind you that to take the Eucarist that you need to be in a state of grace (this is a requirement for all Catholics. Since it has been sometime since you have been to Mass and haven't gone to confession in 6 years then by definition you would not have been in a state of grace, so let's get you there ASAP!

First - Call another parish and make a counseling session with a priest (get recommendations if you can). Explain everything you have here and also ask him if you can confess and receive absolution. Also ask him for recommendations for potential weekly Mass options nearby where you would be more comfortable.

Second - Find a daily Mass that you could feel anonymous in to participate and take communion.

Third - See if there is a Chapel of Adoration in your area and spend some time in prayer with the blessed sacrament.

Fourth - Seek and find a weekly Mass that you do feel comfortable in.

I promise restoring yourself to a state of grace and returning to the sacraments will enrich your life. It will be hard but set small goals, take baby steps and ease back in. I will pray for you.

God Bless

RRex

Premium Member
Saint,

Before I say anything else, know that I grew up Catholic and am still very much attuned to that religion. I have a secret about that, but I'm not ready to discuss it yet.

Anyway, from the time I understood what Church was I was never a believer. I never got it. I even got kicked out of CCD because I asked the teacher where God came from after she told us the creation story, specifically, "Who put God there?" Earlier that very day I'd learned about evolution in Science class.

Fast forward a couple of years - Father Luke blew up on me after I asked him if my recently deceased and dearly loved cat would meet me in heaven.

"Animals don't have souls! That's blasphemy!"

Time for Confirmation rolled around and Brother Roger had a real hard-on for me. I have no idea why, but he clearly hated me with a truly deep hate.

The Catholic Church is not a kind institution. It never has been and, by dogma, will never be so. I left it in seventh grade.

In my case, its representatives did many things to murder my attempts at faith. I was an atheist for 50 or so years.

In my humble opinion, you are better off spending a decade or two (I took five) exploring other religions that are probably more suited to you.

I eventually landed on Deism and it has been a good fit. My sister is five years younger and traveled almost the exact same path I did for almost as long. She is now Buddhist.

Seek and ye shall find. Knock and the door shall be opened. Ask and it shall be given.

A path is made by laying one stone at a time. It's time to start laying some stones.

Respectfully,

RRex

First Baseman

Retired athlete
Sorry to hear about this. I too suffer from depression and have been really down before.

I agree with everything Serenity Now posted. Please do these things and keep your prayer life strong.

Fight the good fight of St. Paul, the fight of faith!

God bless you, friend.

Last edited: