• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Don't Know Which Religion Fits Me Best?

Otherright

Otherright
*note: PLEASE do not bring Atheism into this. I am not an atheist, so no need to mention it.

I usually wouldn't ask this sort of question to a bunch of strangers, but since you all have so much knowledge I thought it'd be a great idea. I feel so lost. I tried to be a Christian, however I feel like there's got to be something out there that is better for me. EVERY religion has it's flaws though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My strong beliefs:
-Afterlife. I 110% believe in afterlife, due to many reasons. I don't want to make a debate out of it though, so I will keep those reasons private.

-God. I think God is love, life, science, & beyond. However I don't believe that God is personable like the Christians seem to.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not really keen on the whole Jesus thing.

If you believe in Jesus, I am sorry if this offends you. For all I know he could be real, very real. It's just I've never felt his presence.

Im new here, btw. Sorry if I seem uptight. The last forum I was on attacked me for tiny minor reasons.

Be agnostic. Try Buddhism if you like. It works for me... no God though.

BruceDLimber

So examine them all--or at least, as many as possible:

In alphabetical order,

• Baha'i
  • Buddhism
  • Christianity
  • Hinduism
  • Islam
  • Judaism
  • Zoroastrianism
and maybe others!

Then you can make an informed decision about which path is best for you!

And I wish you good hunting!

Bruce

HeatherAnn

Try Yoga. It's for everyone... because it helps you physcially, emotionally (managing stress) & spiritually. I do better with classes... especially with a spiritually-minded instructor. Yet, you could also check out yoga in books, DVDs or online.

Personally, I relate with you & feel a little lost, not knowing if I could fit into any one group, without losing a part of me. I still attend church & enjoy helping out, but keep boundaries... I see it more for a sense of community, yet I do miss connecting spiritually. Spiritually & emotionally, I need to do more Yoga.
(Marble's frog is doing a great "corpse" pose! ha ha)

Last edited:

JonathanCid

Hi Lorelai,

This thread seems to be turning into an attempt by some forum members to "woo" you into their own religion, or "give you their card", if you will, so you can check their particular religion out. I don't know how helpful this would be for you since you've stated some pretty distinctive beliefs you already hold; instead of folks recommending religious denominations to you based on their own appreciation for them, I think it might be more helpful to look for a faith that fits what you already believe.

Someone mentioned that your beliefs sound pantheistic/panentheistic, and I think that's accurate. And you believe in an afterlife. I can see why you wouldn't be interested in atheism at this point, since atheists probably won't feel the way you do about the existence of an afterlife. Since you're asking about specific religious groups, I'm assuming that you're looking for some existing denomination to be a part of, rather than "going it alone" in your spiritual endeavors.

So, what we should be looking for is a religious group that is pantheistic/panentheistic (or open to these), and open to your belief in an afterlife. How conservative/liberal you are on social issues (e.g., sexuality) can also come into play, although you haven't mentioned this yet.

Right off the bat, I can think of a couple of religious denominations whose beliefs fall in line with what you already believe:

Unitarian Universalists
Liberal Quakers
Hindus
Buddhists
Pagan/Indigenous faith groups

Someone linked you to Beliefnet's Belief-O-Matic Quiz. That may be a good tool in your search, although I'd say take whatever results you get there with a grain of salt as no online quiz is perfect and religion is a complex subject.

That you know what you believe should save you a lot of time and trouble in finding a denomination, since you need only find one that fits what you believe and you can assess objectively whether different denominations are suitable for you or not. That's markedly different from someone who feels compelled in a million directions to believe a million contradictory things and doesn't know which he/she actually believes; that person will have a hard time sorting through all the varied faith groups out there.

Keep using your heart, and your reason and logic especially, so you can objectively assess what's right for you and don't have to put up with the headaches of ending up in denominations that just don't suit you. I think it's best to use process of elimination to weed out the groups you really don't feel you'd fit into, and narrow things down until you come to one group you feel stands out for you above others.

Best of luck to you!