• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't know what Denomination I am

theMINI

How do I tell? My mom told me I was Christian I'm pretty sure I am. But besides that I don't know what denominations really are and what denominations I really am. How do I tell? Are there some legal papers or something?

theMINI

My friend invited me to his Evangelical church but I told him I wouldn't go because I'm not sure what denomination I am. All denominations believe the same things and teach the same things?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I'm not sure how old you are but first thing I suggest would be to talk to your parents about your spiritual curiousity. Your Mom says you are Christian and what I am guessing from that response is that she has Christian religious leanings if any. Talk to her about your friend asking you to go to church. An Evangelical church is a Christian church...What matters more than the denomination is if the church suits your thoughts on God and if you like it there. You will never know until you go a few times. :)

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
If you consider yourself Christian...you have many Christian denominations to choose from and you don't necessarily have to be defined by any one.

I'm Pentecostal...I go to a Pentecostal church...which is a Protestant Christian denomination.

Other Protestant (non-Catholic) Christian denominations are Methodists, Presbyterians, Baptists...just to name a few.

For the MOST part...the core of Christian beliefs are the same among most Christian religious denominations...however, there are differences in biblical interpretation and differences in the way in which different denominations worship.

If you aren't currently a member of a church...and are interested in joining...you have much to choose from, really...the choice is yours.

theMINI

Buttercup said:
I'm not sure how old you are but first thing I suggest would be to talk to your parents about your spiritual curiousity. Your Mom says you are Christian and what I am guessing from that response is that she has Christian religious leanings if any. Talk to her about your friend asking you to go to church. An Evangelical church is a Christian church...What matters more than the denomination is if the church suits your thoughts on God and if you like it there. You will never know until you go a few times.

I am 18. My mother says she is christian but she hasn't been in church in years! She is really not interested in religion. She doesn't know. I'm scared of going to the Evangelical church incase I don't have the same beliefs as them. Is there a way to find out without actually attending? Some sort of website?

dawny0826 said:
If you consider yourself Christian...you have many Christian denominations to choose from and you don't necessarily have to be defined by any one.

I'm Pentecostal...I go to a Pentecostal church...which is a Protestant Christian denomination.

Other Protestant (non-Catholic) Christian denominations are Methodists, Presbyterians, Baptists...just to name a few.

For the MOST part...the core of Christian beliefs are the same among most Christian religious denominations...however, there are differences in biblical interpretation and differences in the way in which different denominations worship.

If you aren't currently a member of a church...and are interested in joining...you have much to choose from, really...the choice is yours.

I am Christian but I am 100% sure I am not protestant. I remember doing my first communion and I still need to do my comfirmation. Can that tell me what denomination I am?

theMINI

dawny0826 said:
I have no idea. :shrug:

It makes you whatever you want to be.

But as of right now, I don't know enough to form a personal opinion. Is Roman-Catholic a denomination of Catholic or is Catholic called Roman-Catholic?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
theMINI said:
But as of right now, I don't know enough to form a personal opinion. Is Roman-Catholic a denomination of Catholic or is Catholic called Roman-Catholic?

Well, if you aren't Protestant...and took communion...I imagine Catholicism is feasible.

I'm not Catholic though...so I really don't know the answer to this question. You might want to post in the Catholic section of the site. There are some awesome Catholic members who can better explain it to you and I don't think that all Catholics are even really comfy with the term "denomination" to describe the Catholic Church.

I think personally, you're best bet though...if you're seeking to find a church home...whether it be Protestant or non-Protestant would be to go and visit different churches...and find a fit for yourself.

A label doesn't really mean anything unless there's a spiritual connection to it.

sparc872

My best guess is you are a roman catholic if you had your first communion and don't think you are a protestant. My advice on this would be to go with what your heart says. If going to a catholic church doesn't suit your needs, try something else. I was raised catholic, then went to an evangelical church, then became an atheist, then went back to an evangelical church with a baptist bible study, then came back to atheism.

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, just do something because of friends and family. This is a journey you need to take for yourself. The worst thing to have happen is to be pressured into something because of family traditions or not wanting to lose frinds or trying to gain friends. I have experienced it all too much and can tell you that you will only arrive at the truth with a hard and honest search on your own. Seek advice from others, but in the end, return to yourself. Make sure everything makes sense to you, question your beliefs to see if they hold up to your own reasoning, and follow whatever path your mind takes you on.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
theMINI said:
How do I tell? My mom told me I was Christian I'm pretty sure I am. But besides that I don't know what denominations really are and what denominations I really am. How do I tell? Are there some legal papers or something?

Christianity, courtesy of ReligionFacts.

The best piece of advice I can give you comes not from me, but from Shakespeare:

"This above all: to thine ownself be true..." - William Shakespeare, Hamlet, Act I, Scene III

joeboonda

Yes, you must study on your own, use the web, Christian bookstores, anything you can to learn. The main thing to know about being a Christian is that no church or sacrament or ritual or ceremony or covenant or anything like that can make a person a Christian. A Christian is one who admits they are a sinner and fall far short of God's glory, that the wages of sin is death, and who have turned from their way of earning or working their way to Heaven (repented-changed their mind), and have placed their complete trust in what Jesus did on the cross to save them, His blood washing away all our sins, and His imputing (giving) His righteousness to us so we may be in Heaven with God, who is perfectly Holy. One who trusts alone in Christ alone, is a Christian, that is the main thing, its called being born again. We are regenerated, new creations in Christ the moment we believe in or trust in Christ, that He died on the cross to pay for all the sins of all the world, once for all, and rose from the dead in physical, bodily form to give us hope of eternal life. All the other stuff is just, well, like going to an ice-cream shop, its all ice-cream, just lots of different flavors. Just my opinion anyway.

onmybelief

theMINI said:

It does not matter what denomination you belong to. If you believe in Jesus Christ as the Son of God, believe he died for the sins we have done and was resurrected then you are Christian.

Booko

Deviled Hen
theMINI said:
I am 18. My mother says she is christian but she hasn't been in church in years! She is really not interested in religion. She doesn't know. I'm scared of going to the Evangelical church incase I don't have the same beliefs as them. Is there a way to find out without actually attending? Some sort of website?

Oh, go visit the evangelical church! They are very nice people every time I've gone. They know I'm not a Christian, but they've never held that against me at all.

I've made the rounds of most Christian denominations in this country at one time or another, and they all have good things to offer. If you have had no religious upbringing, it's probably best just to see as much as you can and make up your mind for yourself.

I am Christian but I am 100% sure I am not protestant. I remember doing my first communion and I still need to do my comfirmation. Can that tell me what denomination I am?

First communion is usually a Roman Catholic thing. Um, can't you just ask your mum if she was raised Catholic, or is she kinda sensitive about it?

Aside from that, if your 18, that's old enough to do your own thinking (though advice from parents is always a good idea). There's no need for you to be defined religiously by what your parents did, especially if they aren't involved in anything now.