• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I cannot cope with being religious

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
One thing that has been an issue with me is that I experienced way too many religions in such a short time. I do not stick to a religion I just learn about it and study it. For me it is about experiencing religions not becoming one of the adherents. I tend to sympathize yet simultaneously oppose all religions.
Is picking a religious or theological affiliation bad or is being overly eclectic a benefit of some kind?
I find it fun though since I can have fun with my own intellectual capabilities and learn which is the most fulfilling element possible out of a whole.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I went through a face like that. Its probably the thing keeping from be a full anti theist now. I learned a lot, and it really increased my humanism.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Sorry, doesn't work. Most of the time one has to be brought up in a religion to even understand it, and there are different beliefs even in religions.
I doubt one can "experience" many religions like that.

Experience is actually a very bad word because I only experienced 2 religions. Takes years to actually experience religions but the best word would be engaged.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Experience is actually a very bad word because I only experienced 2 religions. Takes years to actually experience religions but the best word would be engaged.

Yeah I misread your OP btw.
But, I think even then, since there are different beliefs within religions, i'm not sure how complete that is.
That being said, I don't see the harm in learning about religions, either.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Yeah I misread your OP btw.
But, I think even then, since there are different beliefs within religions, i'm not sure how complete that is.
That being said, I don't see the harm in learning about religions, either.

My whole issue is just picking a label and as of recently I have had the time to stop worrying about it and just chill. So far I am liking it, being "labelless".

kashmir

religion is man made, I am in the process of having my own religion, its a rather simple one too..
"treat others as you would like to be treated"

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
religion is man made, I am in the process of having my own religion, its a rather simple one too..

You should try Theologianism :D. It is the study of all religions. By studying religions you are worshiping the grand Theologian

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I think that religion is an interesting topic to a lot of people - because it's the one of the only fields you can speculate with without fear of being wrong.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I think that religion is an interesting topic to a lot of people - because it's the one of the only fields you can speculate with without fear of being wrong.

I feel the exact opposite. I am entirely anti-religious yet militantly theistic. Religion to me is the pinnacle of intellectual restraint.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I feel the exact opposite. I am entirely anti-religious yet militantly theistic. Religion to me is the pinnacle of intellectual restraint.

Not all of the time. Religion and freedom of religion need to be kept in the same blender in order for it to work.

kashmir

You do know that George Carlin was a prophet right? :D
Wasn't he a real preacher at one time?
nope
"He came from a Catholic family of Irish descent, although Carlin himself rejected religion. Patrick was an immigrant from Donegal, Ireland."

He was a very smart man too, sure he chose to be a comedian, but if you listen to what he said, he made perfect sense.

I love when he discussed what to do with criminals and the new and improved death penalty ideas.

Even him discussing what a cat does, brings tears to my eyes

"F'nnn meow....F'nnnn Meow....tried to make the couch from the window seal and missed.."

To be honest, if we followed his rules, they would almost be better than any holy book out there.
Specially what to do about politics.
"You start nailing a crooked politician to the cross once a week and stream live on TV, and you will see the national budget start decreasing pretty damn fast" :D

Gordian Knot

Being Deviant IS My Art.

Great theory in principle. Hits a few road bumps when considering the broad range of human interactions. For example, suppose you are a masochist. You should cause others pain because it is how you want to be treated?

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I think it can be a great experience to explore lots of different religions, but I also think is very important to stick with a certain stream of thought if you really want to get much out of it.

You can skim the water all day, but you gotta stick in one spot and go deeper if you really want to learn whats below the waters. Trust me, I'm a fish :D

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I think it can be a great experience to explore lots of different religions, but I also think is very important to stick with a certain stream of thought if you really want to get much out of it.

You can skim the water all day, but you gotta stick in one spot and go deeper if you really want to learn whats below the waters. Trust me, I'm a fish :D

Well I do have such a thing. It is called Deism which is a Philosophy of Religion(not a religion itself) that encourages rationalism and skepticism in religious claim while simultaneously holding an acknowledgement of a particular metaphysical entity, also known as god.