• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

*[I believe] Atheism is an absurd worldview

So a blind bold empty claim on your part?
I mean, you claim I make my own myths but have nothing to back the claim up outside you wanting it to be true?

I'm pretty confident your worldview, ideologies, value system, etc. are not objectively true. They are part of a myth/fiction that you tell yourself, a story that is ultimately untrue but explains the way the world works.

Would you like to explain why they are objectively true?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I'm pretty confident your worldview, ideologies, value system, etc. are not objectively true. They are part of a myth/fiction that you tell yourself, a story that is ultimately untrue but explains the way the world works.

Would you like to explain why they are objectively true?
I am comfortable with the phrase " I do not know".
Aren't you?

Gambit

ADigitalArtist,

The word "absurd," like most words, has multiple uses and meanings depending on context. One synonym of absurd is "meaningless." (I documented that. So, I'm afraid you don't have the luxury of simply ignoring that fact.) I'm employing the term absurd to be synonymous with meaningless. If you are an atheist, then you have an absurd worldview because you view the world as ultimately purposeless and therefore meaningless.

McBell

If you are an atheist, then you have an absurd worldview because you view the world as ultimately purposeless and therefore meaningless.
And you are STILL just plain flat out wrong.

Gambit

Someone lied to you about what atheism is.

You cannot rationally justify a belief that the world has an ultimate purpose unless you adopt a theistic worldview. So, if you're an atheist, then you must accept the logical conclusion of your "disbelief," namely, that you view the world as ultimately devoid of any purpose and/or meaning. Such a view of the world is an absurd one by definition.

Shad

Veteran Member
You cannot rationally justify a belief that the world has an ultimate purpose unless you adopt a theistic worldview. So, if you're an atheist, then you must accept the logical conclusion of your "disbelief," namely, that you view the world as ultimately devoid of any purpose and/or meaning. Such a view of the world is an absurd one by definition.

Yet I can still create my own purpose, my own worldview thus is no longer absurd. It is just not your views which is why you think it is absurd. You reject any worldview that is not your own.

McBell

you set the goal posts (ultimate purpose) then move the goal post (any purpose) in the same post.

Rather difficult to take you seriously when you do that.

Jumi

The atheistic worldview is an absurd one. Why? Because the atheist views the world as ultimately meaningless and therefore as absurd.
No they don't view it as meaningless. They just don't need the world to have intrinsic purpose written out in old book or even a new one to find meaning. Your argument is invalid.

The atheist denies the world has an ultimate meaning because they deny it has an ultimate telos or purpose. In fact, the atheist must deem any apparent purposeful behavior in the world is just that....apparent.
Is enjoying the morning sun absurd because it doesn't have ultimate purpose? It is not.

McBell

I see. So you are using absurd in the sense of meaningless only. Therefore your opening post is just wordplay circularly repeating itself with no meaning to be gained from it.
or perhaps it is merely a play on over dramatic theatrics?

Are you saying that worldview, ideologies and value system are myths?

Yes. As in 'not objectively true'.

We create meaning through 'stories' we tell ourselves about the way the world works, what is important, what is virtuous, etc. These are pretty much (reasoned) preferences rather than actual truths though.

Creating meaning in this fashion is one of the key differences between us and other animals.

Gambit

I create my own purpose thus it isn't meaningless. Your argument is moot.

If you believe you can create something, then you believe you have free will. And If you believe you have free will, then you believe in final causality or teleology (which presupposes God). Unfortunately, as an atheist, you're not allowed to invoke God to rationally justify a belief in final causality and free will. And since you can't rationally justify a belief in free will, then you must accept that you cannot create anything. You do not create your own purpose because your disbelief precludes the very possibility. To reiterate: Atheism is an absurd worldview because it views the world as ultimately purposeless and meaningless and therefore absurd.

Gambit

Atheism is not a worldview, but a single truth-claim. An atheist is not logically constrained to believe the world is either meaningless or absurd on the sole basis of his or her atheism.

Disbelief in God has implications. One of those implications is a disbelief in God implies a disbelief in final causality or teleology (purpose). So, I'm afraid you can't run and hide by arguing you have no worldview. You most certainly do. You view the world as completely devoid of God and therefore devoid of an ultimate purpose or meaning. Such a worldview is an absurd one.