• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

*[I believe] Atheism is an absurd worldview

Gambit

*[I believe]The atheistic worldview is an absurd one. Why? Because *[I believe] the atheist views the world as ultimately meaningless and therefore as absurd.

*[bracketed red text = staff edit]

Last edited by a moderator:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Nah, atheists just create their own myths to give the world meaning.

They are no more objectively true than the theistic ideologies they replace, but they can give the world just as much meaning.
What myths have I created?

What myths have I created?

How should I know? Whatever fictions you tell yourself to give meaning to the world.

Common ones are humanism, liberal progress, the importance of the quest for knowledge and understanding, new age type stuff, whatever.

Nothing pejorative in this assertion, we all do it.

Shad

Veteran Member
The atheist denies the world has an ultimate meaning because they deny it has an ultimate telos or purpose. In fact, the atheist must deem any apparent purposeful behavior in the world is just that....apparent.

Nope they only reject flawed arguments claiming such.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
How should I know? Whatever fictions you tell yourself to give meaning to the world.

Common ones are humanism, liberal progress, the importance of the quest for knowledge and understanding, new age type stuff, whatever.

Nothing pejorative in this assertion, we all do it.
So a blind bold empty claim on your part?
I mean, you claim I make my own myths but have nothing to back the claim up outside you wanting it to be true?

Gambit

Meaningless isn't a synonym for absurd. I also don't think the world is meaningless. But is a very logical and beautiful thing to behold, worthy of discovery and understanding. I just don't think there is a deity providing meaning.

Actually, it is.

Merriam-Webster list "meaningless" as a synonym for "absurd."

absurd : having no rational or orderly relationship to human life : meaningless <an absurd universe>; also : lacking order or value <an absurd existence> (source: Merriam-Webster)

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually, it is.

Merriam-Webster list "meaningless" as a synonym for "absurd."

ab·surd
əbˈsərd,əbˈzərd/
adjective
  1. (of an idea or suggestion) wildly unreasonable, illogical, or inappropriate.
    "the allegations are patently absurd"
    synonyms: preposterous, ridiculous, ludicrous, farcical, laughable, risible, idiotic, stupid, foolish, silly, inane, imbecilic, insane, harebrained, cockamamie;

As an atheist I do not believe the world or universe is any of those things.