• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am Mormon. yes that means christian

ORIONOSO

Comparing my beliefs not speaking for The Church of Jesus Christ but as single voice.\

ALPHA!

In Greek translations of the Old Testament (including the Septuagint), The Book of Mormon using the word "church" in the same "style" as the Bible is in the Book of Mormon, it could have consisted of Phoenician, Greek, or Arabic.

Thus, Jews have indeed translated the Bible into "Arabic, the language of their historic enemies. ... However, the Book of Mormon claims to be a "translation. .... work because it contains "Greek words" ("alpha and omega")

Parry, a member of the Dead Sea Scrolls translation team and ... in the Judaean Desert,7 published The Book of Mormon ... as ancient scripture alongside the Bible, and that num- .... Arabic, paternal uncle or clan). ..... it is translated as alpha.

OMEGA!

Jesus, Messiah, Alpha, Omega, Jehovah, God, Baptise, Sacrament, Bible, ... Now, in translating the Book of Mormon from the Egyptian into modern ... The New American Standard Bible is in the left hand column for reference. .... (Mormon's believe Joseph Smith's English translation of the Book of ...... Omega: Rev. 1:8, 11. 287. Omer: Exo. 16:16, 18, 22. 288. Onycha: Exo. ...... and the Psalter in Arabic is with many, of Augustinus Nebiensis' setting forth. ...> and math.
“al-masiih,” or “the Messiah,” in the Arabic translation of the Book of Mormon. ..... This is a symbolic equivalent of the (Alpha and Omega)

the Book of Mormon claims to be a "translation. ... If one accepts that it is a translation, then the use of Bible language tells us merely .... be an ancient work because it contains "Greek words" ("alpha and omega")

1The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
2Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.
11Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
12And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks;
13And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.
14His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;
15And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

ORIONOSO

Passages such as Isaiah 53:7, John 1:29, several verses in the book of ... places in the Book of Mormon), and Doctrine and Covenants 76:21 all mention "the lamb. ... One of the names for the God of Israel is the "אביר (ʾbyr) of Jacob"

Cassiopia

Sugar and Spice
Passages such as Isaiah 53:7, John 1:29, several verses in the book of ... places in the Book of Mormon), and Doctrine and Covenants 76:21 all mention "the lamb. ... One of the names for the God of Israel is the "אביר (ʾbyr) of Jacob"

Yes. But we already knew that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Welcome aboard, Orionguy!
Btw, Mormons are good Xians in my book.....for what my ignorant opinion is worth.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
thank you!
You'll find most people on this forum to be pretty open-minded about Mormonism. Orionoso. It's taken some of them a few years ;), but you will find that more of them come to our defense than attack our beliefs. Just don't get too "preachy" and you'll enjoy yourself here. I've been around for six and a half years now, and have come to have a great deal of respect for many of the regular posters here who are not even Christian, but Buddhist, Muslim, pagan and :eek:, yes, atheist.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've been around for six and a half years now, and have come to have a great deal of respect for many of the regular posters here who are not even Christian, but Buddhist, Muslim, pagan and :eek:, yes, atheist.
But I notice that you still bring the puppies indoors whenever I'm in the neighborhood.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I've been around for six and a half years now, and have come to have a great deal of respect for many of the regular posters here who are not even Christian, but Buddhist, Muslim, pagan and :eek:, yes, atheist.
Once again teh Jews get left out ... :(

ohhcuppycakee

Okay. I have a few questions and please do not get offended. I am asking for my own knowledge here. I heard that Mormons believe God lives on a planet and that people with darker skin are cursed...?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Comparing my beliefs not speaking for The Church of Jesus Christ but as single voice.\

So, these are your thoughts?
ALPHA!

In Greek translations of the Old Testament (including the Septuagint), The Book of Mormon using the word "church" in the same "style" as the Bible is in the Book of Mormon, it could have consisted of Phoenician, Greek, or Arabic.

Thus, Jews have indeed translated the Bible into "Arabic, the language of their historic enemies. ... However, the Book of Mormon claims to be a "translation. .... work because it contains "Greek words" ("alpha and omega")

Parry, a member of the Dead Sea Scrolls translation team and ... in the Judaean Desert,7 published The Book of Mormon ... as ancient scripture alongside the Bible, and that num- .... Arabic, paternal uncle or clan). ..... it is translated as alpha.

OMEGA!

Jesus, Messiah, Alpha, Omega, Jehovah, God, Baptise, Sacrament, Bible, ... Now, in translating the Book of Mormon from the Egyptian into modern ... The New American Standard Bible is in the left hand column for reference. .... (Mormon's believe Joseph Smith's English translation of the Book of ...... Omega: Rev. 1:8, 11. 287. Omer: Exo. 16:16, 18, 22. 288. Onycha: Exo. ...... and the Psalter in Arabic is with many, of Augustinus Nebiensis' setting forth. ...> and math.
“al-masiih,” or “the Messiah,” in the Arabic translation of the Book of Mormon. ..... This is a symbolic equivalent of the (Alpha and Omega)

the Book of Mormon claims to be a "translation. ... If one accepts that it is a translation, then the use of Bible language tells us merely .... be an ancient work because it contains "Greek words" ("alpha and omega")

1The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
2Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.
11Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
12And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks;
13And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.
14His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;
15And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

Jeff Lindsey? Is that you?

(Please, if you are going to cut and paste, give proper credit to the actual author.)

BTW, welcome to RF. You might want to start here...Forum Rules

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Okay. I have a few questions and please do not get offended. I am asking for my own knowledge here.
No problem. Thanks for asking.

I heard that Mormons believe God lives on a planet...
That's incorrect, but I'm pretty sure I know where your misinformation on that subject comes from. We believe that God lives in Heaven, and that Heaven is a real place. There are stars in the heavens and one of them is closer to where God is than the rest. That star has a name by which God refers to it. The name of that star is "Kolob." And no, we don't know where it is.

...and that people with darker skin are cursed...?
We don't see God as judging anyone or cursing anyone the a different skin color, and none of our official doctrines have ever been racist. However, in the interest of full-disclosure, there was a period of over 130 years during which men of African descent were not permitted to hold the Church's priesthood. To me, and to many Mormons today, that was a decidedly racist policy. In 1978, that policy was changed, and today, you will find no racist policies in the Church. (If you would like me to clarify the difference between doctrine and policy, please let me know.)

Last edited:

ohhcuppycakee

No problem. Thanks for asking.

That's incorrect, but I'm pretty sure I know where your misinformation on that subject comes from. We believe that God lives in Heaven, and that Heaven is a real place. There are stars in the heavens and one of them is closer to where God is than the rest. That star has a name by which God refers to it. The name of that star is "Kolob." And no, we don't know where it is.

We don't see God as judging anyone or cursing anyone the a different skin color, and none of our official doctrines have ever been racist. However, in the interest of full-disclosure, there was a period of over 130 years during which men of African descent were not permitted to hold the Church's priesthood. To me, and to many Mormons today, that was a decidedly racist policy. In 1978, that policy was changed, and today, you will find no racist policies in the Church. (If you would like me to clarify the difference between doctrine and policy, please let me know.)

Alright, thank you for answering.