• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am a deist?

Prodeism

What passes for atheism is merely antireligion. The true atheists should go to the abyss and find their philosophy there. Instead they criticize religion (child's play) and claim they have disproved the existence of god. This is non-sense. They have commited themselves to the random universe and should have to defend it.

They give us nothing new, just the same old dogmas under a new guise. They have not moved beyond good and evil, our original sin, and can not solve our problems with their reason. The insight and wisdom of the abyss alludes them because they do not have the courage to practice what they preach.

I have been to the abyss, not just to peer in (like Nietzsche) but to live, and know the lessons of meaninglessness. I have since become a deist because the wisdom of the abyss is meaningless unless the universe is here intentionally. As an atheist I had nothing to say, because there is nothing to say about the random universe, but as a deist there is much to say.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Most atheists I know have a perfectly rational reason for their disbelief in a deity. Lack of evidence.
Personally, I find this to be a very reasonable position to hold.
After all, as a deist, all I have as as a reason for my belief in a deity is my faith.

Prodeism

Faith is a big part of deism but there is good reason to believe the universe is intentional instead of random. If the universe is random we are just the subjects of evolution and we can not give the universe, or our lives, meaning. That which we believe to be meaningful is just random electro-chemical events in our brains that produce the illusion of meaning. This can not be overcome, we can not break free of evolution, if it is the only constructive force in the universe.

The mind is produced by the electro-chemical events in our brains so we can not have thoughts until the events occur. That is to say we do not have thoughts because the thoughts are produced by the events. We can not cause the events to happen because we don't exist until they happen. This is the problem with atheism.

If evolution is the only force in the universe the thing we consider self is just an evolutionary mechanism that makes us more survivable. Since it workes it is propagated by the system. Don't get me wrong, I am a firm believer in evolution, but if evolution is the only force we are not free willed but just meaningless slaves to the system.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
For me, I do not need a Creator to give my life meaning as I do not believe God had an active hand in anything other than the beginning of our universe. But rather, God is the subject of my amazement that what was started over 13 billion years ago has resulted in what we have today, And millions of years from now, God's universe will still be here even though man may cease to exist.
What is the purpose of the Universe? And does there even have to be a purpose?
For that matter, what is the purpose of man?
I am perfectly fine with the idea that there does not need to be an overall purpose or meaning to mans existence. I give my own life meaning by living it, and attempting to understand as best I can during my short existence how this amazing universe, and our world, work.
In my opinion, the meaning of life is to live. It is a natural process that is the result of unknowable forces from before time and space even began to exist.

The atheist, agnostic, theist, polytheist, etc. can find the same meaning.

Last edited:

chinu

chinu
I think I am deist because I don't really believe in the my religions' scriptures nor it's institutionalization (if that makes sense) and I believe god can be proven through reason. So I am a deist?
Can i say you Congratulations! ? that for you came to know this truth about yourself today. :)

Prodeism

If life is just to pretend than we can not criticise the Christians for pretending Jesus is god. In fact we have no room to argue anything. I can not be satisfied with pretense. The truth, even if it is contrary to your beliefs, especially if it is contrary to your beliefs, is worth pursuing. The unexaimed life is not worth living (Socrates). I understand and respect your position but it is not enough for me.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
If life is just to pretend than we can not criticise the Christians for pretending Jesus is god. In fact we have no room to argue anything. I can not be satisfied with pretense. The truth, even if it is contrary to your beliefs, especially if it is contrary to your beliefs, is worth pursuing. The unexaimed life is not worth living (Socrates). I understand and respect your position but it is not enough for me.
Pretend?
When did I indicate life was just "pretend"?

Prodeism

How else do you give life meaning? The Christians give their lives meaning by pretending Jesus is god. It is a very common practice, I have no problem with it, but it is not philosophically sound. We are a very good species capable of many great things. We are able to overcome the burdens of reality simply by denying it.

Something is happening in the universe. It is becoming something, something far beyond our comprehension, and we can be part of it. It is evolving into something sentient and intelligent. Now you can accuse me of just pretending.

adambaum

Why not just invent a new term for your particular belief. Why call yourself by some pre-existing definition. It's so boring. Take the plunge, invent a new faith!