• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Hurricane-Damaged Houses Of Worship Can Receive FEMA Aid." BOOOO!

Skwim

Veteran Member
After lawsuits and a Supreme Court decision, the Federal Emergency Management Agency has issued a new policy extending disaster relief to churches, synagogues and other congregations.

Addressing a church-state separation issue, the agency’s latest policy guide says FEMA made the change so houses of worship aren’t considered ineligible “on the basis of the religious character or primarily religious use of the facility.”

In FEMA’s previous guide, language deemed private nonprofits ineligible for aid if they primarily offered religious activities — including worship and religious instruction. That language has been removed from the policy guide released Tuesday (Jan. 2).
source

And I agree. If you want aid from FEMA start paying property tax.

HonestJoe

Are you saying aid should be restricted on the basis of being a religious organisation or on the basis of exemption from property taxes because they’re not the same thing?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How come 'god' didn't protect these buildings?
God hurls punishment only at those deserving it.

I'd prefer that FEMA not exist. But if this is to be, it
should stick to its mission of "essential property",
given the limited resources, & the great many people
in need who do not receive disaster assistance.
People need homes to live in, & businesses to
supply essentials. But worship doesn't need buildings.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
After lawsuits and a Supreme Court decision, the Federal Emergency Management Agency has issued a new policy extending disaster relief to churches, synagogues and other congregations.

Addressing a church-state separation issue, the agency’s latest policy guide says FEMA made the change so houses of worship aren’t considered ineligible “on the basis of the religious character or primarily religious use of the facility.”

In FEMA’s previous guide, language deemed private nonprofits ineligible for aid if they primarily offered religious activities — including worship and religious instruction. That language has been removed from the policy guide released Tuesday (Jan. 2).
source

WOOOHOOO!!

:hugehug:
FINALLY!! The First Ammendment is correcty applied.

Kenny

Premium Member
I think if we follow that concept, assuming that He should of, the next questions would follow in this fashion:

Why didn't He protect the people in the fatal car accident;
Why didn't He protect the person slipped of the edge of a cliff;
Why didn't He protect the person who fell off the ladder;
Why didn't He protect the person who broke a bone falling of a tree;
Why didn't He protect the child who fell while he was on the bike.

The reason would be because then we would be robots who had no will.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think if we follow that concept, assuming that He should of, the next questions would follow in this fashion:

I often hear....
"God doesn't give us anything we can't handle."
If someone dies from a catastrophe or accident, what does this mean?

Muffled

Jesus in me

source

I believe FEMA is supposed to help the whole community so their original language was discriminatory against relgious groups.

I believe the government often works on a charity basis and not on a reward for tax payment basis. Otherwise biag corporations should get the most aid for paying the most taxes not to mention wealthy individuals.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I don't think it is safe to speculate but I believe it might possibly have something to do with whether people asked Him to protect them or whether He had another purpose.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe God protects me. If my car breaks down it is always in a parking lot.

Kenny

Premium Member
I often hear....
"God doesn't give us anything we can't handle."
If someone dies from a catastrophe or accident, what does this mean?
Yes... actually the quote where that comes from is incomplete and that is why, even in Christian circles, it is presented wrong because it makes it sound like God sent it.

Here is the scripture since we know, and Jesus said, problems will come:

2 Cor 13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

I could be said this way "There is no problem or temptation that comes your way that isn't common throughout the world, but God will not let these poblems or temptations come without a solution for with the problem and temptaion will also provide the was to escape so that you can bear and overcome it."

Sanzbir

source

And I agree. If you want aid from FEMA start paying property tax..

So before this were you complaining that the other nonprofits were able to receive FEMA aid??

Skwim

Veteran Member
Are you saying aid should be restricted on the basis of being a religious organisation or on the basis of exemption from property taxes because they’re not the same thing?
I'm saying that it should be denied because:

1) They don't pay property tax

2) As religious institutions the government cannot be involved in any way with their establishment, and aiding them in their survival amounts to just that.​

So while I did say "If you want aid from FEMA start paying property tax," there's far more to it than just that. I focused on the property tax issue because I feel it's one of the more unjust perks our government has granted religions.

Holdasown

Living in a flood zone I can tell you getting flood insurance outside FEMA is impossible. If the buildings flooded then there is no insurance just like a home. Why should a religious or even community building not get the same opportunity to get the flood coverage it can't get else where the same as a home owner? Not sure what taxes have to do with it. It's about insurance companies not covering flood damage.

Holdasown

I'm saying that it should be denied because:

1) They don't pay property tax

2) As religious institutions the government cannot be involved in any way with their establishment, and aiding them in their survival amounts to just that.​

So while I did say "If you want aid from FEMA start paying property tax," there's far more to it than just that. I focused on the property tax issue because I feel it's one of the more unjust perks our government has granted religions.

Actually it's a perk of non profits. Atheists organizations get the same benefit.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually it's a perk of non profits. Atheists organizations get the same benefit.
They aren't the same. Non-religious not-for-profit charities have declerations, filings and registry religious organizations aren't beholden to unless they specifically file outside religious charity. Which means religious organizations aren't arent actually required to be charitable to receive the benefit.
And I say this as someone who regularly participates in church based charity activity (registered charitable foundations). But I wouldn't want my money going towards, say, a JW kingdom hall which performs no charitable work, but still received tax exemption.