• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Humans - natural carnivores or herbivores?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Surely our canine teeth and vegetable processing shrivelled residual appendage the appendix could possibly indicate that we were not brought up on vegies alone.
But we don’t actually have canines. We have teeth that somewhat resemble canine teeth and have been dubbed such, but they are not really canine teeth. If you don’t believe me try this experiment. Go out to a field where you see a cow. Approach the cow. Bite the cow. Now a true carnivore with real canines would have no difficulty tearing the flesh off the animal and eating it. Can you?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
fantôme profane;1791032 said:
But we don’t actually have canines. We have teeth that somewhat resemble canine teeth and have been dubbed such, but they are not really canine teeth. If you don’t believe me try this experiment. Go out to a field where you see a cow. Approach the cow. Bite the cow. Now a true carnivore with real canines would have no difficulty tearing the flesh off the animal and eating it. Can you?

Apparently our canines are akin to of that of true carnivores, and yes they are quite real.

Dentistry.com - Human Canine Teeth -- An Overview

Excerpt from link- "Maxillary canines by definition are the teeth in the maxilla distal, but closest to the incisors. Mandibular canines are those lower teeth that articulate with the mesial aspect of the upper canine." -Written by Dr. Clarke Johnson-

Science would disagree with your assessment, and yes humans do have the ability to tear out flesh and consume it. Of course man traditionally kills his cows with a weapon(s) prior to consumption. Its so much easier that way.

PS- I take it that you already tried to bite a cow?

Last edited:

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
We definitely have small canines compared to other animals, but they are canines. Our dentition is typical of omnivores, as is our gut. But canine size isn't always relevant; the primates with the biggest canines are gorillas. Their diet (it varies by subspecies but is pretty similar) mainly consists of fruit (around 80%), then leaves (15-20%), and the remaining 2% to 3% tends to be insects or grubs. Their enormous canines are for defense and intimidation (evolution via sexual selection) and meat eating isn't a factor.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Apparently our canines are akin to of that of true carnivores, and yes they are quite real.

Dentistry.com - Human Canine Teeth -- An Overview
You misunderstood me, and I think it is my fault I didn’t express myself clearly. Yes I realize that we have teeth that are called “canines”. But we do not have the same kind of “canines” (or jaws for that matter) that carivors have.

Science would disagree with your assessment, and yes humans do have the ability to tear out flesh and consume it. Of course man traditionally kills his cows with a weapon(s) prior to consumption. Its so much easier that way.
I may be wrong about this but I am not convinced that humans are capable of tearing flesh from a living animal with our teeth. Stumbling upon a discarded corpse after some real carnivore has done the work for us is another matter.

As I say I could be wrong, and I would like to see if anyone has evidence of this.

PS- I take it that you already tried to bite a cow?
lol you got me, I admit it. I have not. But I would love to hear from someone who has tried this experiment.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Judging by the shape of our teeth, I would say we are neither. We are omnivores, meaning we are designed to eat a balance of both meats and veggies.

*NOTE: Sorry I should have read more of the replies. I see this has already been stated. :p

Baydwin

We're designed to eat mostly vegetables supplemented with meat, today we seem to do things the other way around which is why a lot of people are unhealthy.