• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Humanity

lunamoth

Will to love
What is humanity? Is there any quality or set of qualities which define us as human, apart from the obvious physiological traits that differentiate us from other animals?

Imagine you live in a city under siege, no supplies in, no help on the way. Food has long run out, disease is rampant, sanitation abominable. Are there choices one can make in such a situation that preserve 'humanity,' or not?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
A quote from "The Patriot." But seriously, it's nice to be nice when it's possible. It's very hard to be nice when the chips are down. If we remember Jesus' teachings about servitude and selfless giving, we can come closer to humanity and higher human behavior when the chips are down.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What is humanity? Is there any quality or set of qualities which define us as human, apart from the obvious physiological traits that differentiate us from other animals?

Imagine you live in a city under siege, no supplies in, no help on the way. Food has long run out, disease is rampant, sanitation abominable. Are there choices one can make in such a situation that preserve 'humanity,' or not?
Good questions. To me, "human" means the capacity to shape the world in idea, word and deed (e.g. my cat does this, and so displays human qualities).

Humanity is preserved by consciously being --by all those being conscious. Without those, there is nothing to preserve but artifacts.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Preparation and planning are a good start. Always keeping a surplus of food on hand, would be an excellent start....A generator for your own home and lots of matches or lighters to burn the garbage. Keeping a box of medicines and bandages might be a good idea....If this is a local happening hang on until help arrives, if it is a national event, death will probably be eminent. The end of humanity I guess :sad4:
I really don't want to be a pessimist, but it sort of looks like the cards would be stacked against us.....

lunamoth

Will to love
So, inside the city under seige, a group has formed and armed itself, and is taking anything it can get for food from anyone who has any.

Do you join the group?

What do you do?

Does it make a difference as far as 'humanity' is concerned?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Viktor Frankl said that what he regarded as the most human of human phenomena is the "will to meaning".
He survived a situation worse than the one you describe - he survived Internment in Auschwitz.

lunamoth

Will to love
Viktor Frankl said that what he regarded as the most human of human phenomena is the "will to meaning".
He survived a situation worse than the one you describe - he survived Internment in Auschwitz.
I would really like to read some Viktor Frankl soon. What title do you recommend?

Can you apply his experience to the above situation?

Runlikethewind

Monk in Training
I beleive that in situations such as the one described humanity is often saved by the few. You get a few good people in that city under siege who refuse to give into resorting to any measures to stay alive, who do the best the can to remain moral and decent and help out the struggling people in the city and it is their stories that survive and that we tell years later. Its like the guy at Auschwitz who retains his humanity that we talk about years later. The ones who turn into animals are forgoten. I think its something along those lines. If I where in that city I would do my best to remain moral and as truly human in the best sense of the word that I could. And if I ended up being killed by some roving mob out for food then I would only hope that my story would survive to enlighten future generations.

Popeyesays

Read Dies the Fire, by S. M. Stirling, a brilliant SF novel where suddenly electricity stops working, so to for gunpowder and other explosives, cars won't run, planes glide down from the sky when their engines shut down. It well shows how fragile modern society is.

Regards,
Scott

oldcajun

__BE REAL

The concept of good and evil is a human thing.

I've always kept emergency supplies for my family. Of course, that means nothing if you can't physically defend your family and supplies from those that did not prepare.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Let me get this straight. You want to define us by our failures? OK. Well, in addition to the failed concept of good and evil, we also created the failed concept of a flat earth.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What do you mean Sunstone?

Good and Evil seem to me to be primitive concepts. I see them as something suited to children under the age of 13. I mean that quite seriously. It is a fact known to developmental psychologists that children are unable to grasp much in the way of moral complexity before the age of 13 or so. Hence, children younger than that tend to think of things as either good or evil. That is, they think dichotomously. Part of what it means to be a functional adult is to have matured beyond that sort of narrow, black and white thinking.

In a way, thinking of things as either good or evil is analogous to thinking of the earth as flat. The earth looks flat. Hence, the first notion we might have of the earth is that it is what it appears to be -- flat. But as we grow up and gain knowledge and experience, we come to understand that the notion the earth is flat is far too simplistic to be true.

So, too, as we grow up -- as our brains develop and form -- we outgrow the notion that things are either good or evil.

Tau

Humanity in the strictest sense refers to the collective species of homo sapiens sapiens.

What seperates humans from other animals are the social contracts unique to humans, but they are often thrown out of the window when people are scrabbling for survival, baser instincts take control.
Not in all cases of course, for some the consideration for others still outweighs their own personal concerns for safety/survival, these people are labelled 'heroes' and are seemingly few in number.

Tau

I've always kept emergency supplies for my family. Of course, that means nothing if you can't physically defend your family and supplies from those that did not prepare.

Which is why everyone should always be prepared.