• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Human Rights

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Anyway, this is more to do with an ideological belief held in opposition to all available evidence rather than cognitive heuristics and biases (although some of these could be used to explain why they are so irrational in their ideological outlook).

What are some examples of this?

Try to improve society in a way that accepts our flaws as being incurable.

Civilization is all about capturing and codifying our best moments, and minimizing the damage we do in our worst.

Who says the solution has to lie in rationality? You don't get any extra credit for doing good things purely for 'rational' reasons.

From a cognitive science perspective, the word "rational" needs a tight definition. Can you explain how you're using the word in this case? For example, would you include "expert intuition" in your definition?

What are some examples of this?

Affect, confirmation bias, selective perception, cognitive dissonance, naive realism, survivorship bias, illusion of control, etc.

Civilization is all about capturing and codifying our best moments, and minimizing the damage we do in our worst.

I agree. I just disagree that 'Rationalism' is necessarily a source for good and 'irrationality' intrinsically harmful.

From a cognitive science perspective, the word "rational" needs a tight definition. Can you explain how you're using the word in this case? For example, would you include "expert intuition" in your definition?

Systematic decision making based on (what is deemed to be) empirical data.

Expert intuition tends to be marginalised by Rationalists as it is not quantifiable ("Prove it"). Michael Oakeshott:

Technical knowledge can be learned from a book; it can be
learned in a correspondence course. Moreover, much of it can be
learned by heart, repeated by rote, and applied mechanically: the
logic of the syllogism is a technique of this kind. Technical knowledge,
in short, can be both taught and learned in the simplest meanings
of these words.

On the other hand, practical knowledge can
neither be taught nor learned, but only imparted and acquired. It
exists only in practice, and the only way to acquire it is by apprenticeship
to a master - not because the master can teach it (he cannot),
but because it can be acquired only by continuous contact with one
who is perpetually practising it. In the arts and in natural science what
normally happens is that the pupil, in being taught and in learning
the technique from his master, discovers himself to have acquired
also another sort of knowledge than merely technical knowledge,
without it ever having been precisely imparted and often without
being able to say precisely what it is. Thus a pianist acquires artistry
as well as technique, a chess-player style and insight into the
game as well as a knowledge of the moves, and a scientist acquires
(among other things) the sort of judgement which tells him when
his technique is leading him astray and the connoisseurship which
enables him to distinguish the profitable from the unprofitable
directions to explore.

Now, as I understand it, Rationalism is the assertion that what I
have called practical knowledge is not knowledge at all, the assertion
that, properly speaking, there is no knowledge which is not technical
knowledge. The Rationalist holds that the only element of
knowledge involved in any human activity is technical knowledge,
and that what I have called practical knowledge is really only a sort
of nescience which would be negligible if it were not positively mischievous.
The sovereignty of 'reason', for the Rationalist, means the
sovereignty of technique.

Tmac

Its not clear that you are talking about human rights here. For example the right to life implies that other people can't endanger my life without facing socially imposed consequences and vice versa. Right to liberty imply that other people cannot restrict my actions if they do not cause harm to others. Etc.

Actually the right to life means much more than that but it has become thought of as that because it has become one of the biggest violation of that particular right. Same goes for liberty. Our lives are not our own if we have to follow a map.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually the right to life means much more than that but it has become thought of as that because it has become one of the biggest violation of that particular right. Same goes for liberty. Our lives are not our own if we have to follow a map.
Provide justifications for your claims.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I had to go into the mental health system to once get into Raelism because I just couldn't survive as one. I think the TV controls us but also takes care of us oddly enough.

Silverscale derg

Stop whining about "human rights" you humans are considering yourself as the highest "rights" on the planet. You have the right to get food, if someone rings a dinner bell you can go there safely not worrying if the call was real or you came just to get shot by a hunter who will take your fur and dump your body in a ditch, you don't have to worry about fighting tooth and claw to get your meals, you as warm blooded creatures don't have to worry about temperature regulation, you as humans don't get put on a hook still alive and thrown into water like small lizards get done to, you humans aren't thrown into a swimming pool with a big fish to be used as live feed to some dumb fish. If anything reptiles should be the ones rising up protesting equality. Sure warm blooded predators like wolves and coyotes get shot and killed but at least that's a bit more humane than being used as live bait, I still sympathies with wild canines. Your fake oppression is annoying. The most oppressed species would be dragons, we are seen as evil, in most books, TV shows, Movies, and Games that have a dragon maybe 1% at best have us as good, the rest is us being the bad guys and there being a "hero" that slays us to "save" a princess because you know women's rights in the middle ages was just so perfect...I have been killed myself in my sleep, I have seen in spirit the humans take nothing but my head and called themselves heroes. Not only was I sleeping but even if I was awake I would be peaceful towards them.