• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How was bible truth rediscovered?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
certainly: the apocrypha.
The Gospel of James, clarifies that he was a mature man when he married Mary
James himself, is one of Jesus' stepbrothers, and he explains that he had been born from a previous marriage
Gospel of James - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

those books are not part of the bible.

I wanted bible scriptures which state what you've claimed. the Apochryphal books are not considered inspired...who knows who or what inspired them.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I wanted bible scriptures which state what you've claimed. the Apochryphal books are not considered inspired...who knows who or what inspired them.
But you trust the Catholic church enough to accept the books you've including in your Bible. Why not include those too? Personally, I think sharpening up some scissors might be called for, starting with the Gospel of John. ;)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

Honey, apocrypha are historical books and you wanted historical evidence. I gave it to you. If you don't accept it as evidence, then we should also doubt the truthfulness of historical books such as Titus Livius, Tacitus, Strabo, Diodorus Siculus, etc etc-
then we should doubt the existence of Cleopatra and Alexander the Great ,too

this attitude is fundamentalism.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Windwalker said:
...Personally, I think sharpening up some scissors might be called for, starting with the Gospel of John. ;)
Running with scissors! [image deleted] Sorry didn't realize we had moved into the dir. You're probably right, but I don't think anybody is going to actually do that.
MV5BMTIwOTU2NjE0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTg2MDUzMQ@@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
But you trust the Catholic church enough to accept the books you've including in your Bible. Why not include those too? Personally, I think sharpening up some scissors might be called for, starting with the Gospel of John. ;)

Yes, i trust the canon... those books were already in ciruculation among christians long before the council made them official as the Muratorian fragment shows.

The gospel of John is one of those early cherished Christian works which are mentioned.

"The fourth of the Gospels is that of John, [one] of the disciples. (10) To his fellow disciples and bishops, who had been urging him [to write], (11) he said, 'Fast with me from today to three days, and what (12) will be revealed to each one (13) let us tell it to one another.' In the same night it was revealed (14) to Andrew, [one] of the apostles, (15-16) that John should write down all things in his own name while all of them should review it. And so, though various (17) elements [3a] may be taught in the individual books of the Gospels, (18) nevertheless this makes no difference to the faith (19) of believers, since by the one sovereign [3b] Spirit all things (20) have been declared in all [the Gospels]: concerning the (21) nativity, concerning the passion, concerning the resurrection, (22) concerning life with his disciples, (23) and concerning his twofold coming; (24) the first in lowliness when he was despised, which has taken place, (25) the second glorious in royal power, (26) which is still in the future. What (27) marvel is it then, if John so consistently (28) mentions these particular points also in his Epistles, (29) saying about himself, 'What we have seen with our eyes (30) and heard with our ears and our hands (31) have handled, these things we have written to you? [4] (32) For in this way he professes [himself] to be not only an eye-witness and hearer, (33) but also a writer of all the marvelous deeds of the Lord, in their order.

The books not mentioned by this early christian writer are all those apochrypal works in use by the catholic church. That says a lot.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Honey, apocrypha are historical books and you wanted historical evidence. I gave it to you. If you don't accept it as evidence, then we should also doubt the truthfulness of historical books such as Titus Livius, Tacitus, Strabo, Diodorus Siculus, etc etc-
then we should doubt the existence of Cleopatra and Alexander the Great ,too

this attitude is fundamentalism.

accepting any old book as if its Gods word is foolishness.

;)