• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How was bible truth rediscovered?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
The Bible foretold that after the death of Christ, false teachers would arise among the early Christians and corrupt Bible truth. (Acts 20:29, 30 I know that after my going away oppressive wolves will enter in among you and will not treat the flock with tenderness, 30 and from among you yourselves men will rise and speak twisted things to draw away the disciples after themselves.) In time, that is exactly what happened. They mixed Jesus’ teachings with pagan religious ideas, and a counterfeit form of Christianity developed. (2 Timothy 4:3, 4 They will turn away from listening to the truth and give attention to false stories.)
How can we be sure that today we have a correct understanding of what the Bible really teaches?

Find out how

dance-above

The Bible foretold that after the death of Christ, false teachers would arise among the early Christians and corrupt Bible truth. (Acts 20:29, 30 I know that after my going away oppressive wolves will enter in among you and will not treat the flock with tenderness, 30 and from among you yourselves men will rise and speak twisted things to draw away the disciples after themselves.) In time, that is exactly what happened. They mixed Jesus’ teachings with pagan religious ideas, and a counterfeit form of Christianity developed. (2 Timothy 4:3, 4 They will turn away from listening to the truth and give attention to false stories.)
How can we be sure that today we have a correct understanding of what the Bible really teaches?

Find out how
The answer to that is in the bible , do you not know what it is?

Big_TJ

Find out how

Interesting question.. but would you honestly read one of Hitler's book if you want to objectively find out if the Holocast was a good event?

If not, would it be a good reference to find out if a teaching if a corruption of "biblical truth" when the source document is from an organization that may very well be corrupting biblical truth (just as every other religious organization is a potential corruptor of the "biblical truth"?)

I would think you would point us to be more neutral source.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You can't. You have to go with your heart, and realize that it doesn't matter who claims to have the right ideas.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
You can't. You have to go with your heart, and realize that it doesn't matter who claims to have the right ideas.

our hearts tell us what we 'want' to hear.

the written word tells us what we 'need' to hear.

;)

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
our hearts tell us what we 'want' to hear.

the written word tells us what we 'need' to hear.

;)
Other way around. :) We read and see what we want to see. Don't think your desires aren't part of how you read something. Knowing the heart's desirings itself is the path to wisdom and discernment. Just because you read something, doesn't mean how you understand it is the truth.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Other way around. :) We read and see what we want to see. Don't think your desires aren't part of how you read something. Knowing the heart's desirings itself is the path to wisdom and discernment. Just because you read something, doesn't mean how you understand it is the truth.

the bible warns us against trusting our own hearts...

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is more treacherous than anything else and is desperate. Who can know it?

Proverbs 28:26 Whoever trusts in his own heart is stupid, But the one who walks in wisdom will escape.

1Cor 3:18 Let no one deceive himself: If anyone among you thinks he is wise in this system of things, let him become a fool, so that he may become wise. 19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God, for it is written: “He catches the wise in their own cunning.” 20 And again: “Jehovah knows that the reasonings of the wise men are futile.”

Better to let Gods word lead us to truth then try to adapt is to what is in our hearts.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

Find out how

well...all the Christian churches are the same thing. They all believe in the commandment:
"Love one another as much as I loved you"
and "Love thy neighbor as thyself"

so...I don't understand what you are talking about. Pagan influence?
well Paganism was about selfishness, and greed.
All Christian churches reject selfishness and greed

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
the bible warns us against trusting our own hearts...

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is more treacherous than anything else and is desperate. Who can know it?

Proverbs 28:26 Whoever trusts in his own heart is stupid, But the one who walks in wisdom will escape.

1Cor 3:18 Let no one deceive himself: If anyone among you thinks he is wise in this system of things, let him become a fool, so that he may become wise. 19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God, for it is written: “He catches the wise in their own cunning.” 20 And again: “Jehovah knows that the reasonings of the wise men are futile.”

Better to let Gods word lead us to truth then try to adapt is to what is in our hearts.
You're misreading the Bible. You're trusting with your heart, you can't trust yourself. :) It's all a matter of the heart, Pegg. The Bible also speak about discernment, and that is through the spirit, which is in fact a matter of the heart. We discern truth from error, with a spiritually informed heart. The Bible also speaks about love. Is love conceptual, or how do you know about love, but with the heart?

In a nutshell, you are full of self-mistrust and using the Bible to support your mistrust of yourself. But you are taking the self-mistrust, which is in fact itself a matter of your own heart, and using it to interpret scripture to support what is ultimately, and originally, a matter of the heart. You cannot get around this.

Again, how do you even know what love truly is, if you don't listen to your heart? And if you don't know what love is, then you most assuredly cannot know truth. Nobody can.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
well...all the Christian churches are the same thing. They all believe in the commandment:
"Love one another as much as I loved you"
and "Love thy neighbor as thyself"

so...I don't understand what you are talking about. Pagan influence?
well Paganism was about selfishness, and greed.
All Christian churches reject selfishness and greed

hellfire, trinity, Perpetual virgin mary, pergatory... these and teachings like them are not found in the bible.

When christians began studying the bible for themselves, they learn that these are falsehoods. What the bible reveals is a different story.

Christian religions have continued to support warfare, they have been involved in crusades and even today they are still involved in war because their church's support the government of this world.... this is against Christs teachings to 'love your enemies and pray for those persecuting you'

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
You're misreading the Bible. You're trusting with your heart, you can't trust yourself. :) It's all a matter of the heart, Pegg. The Bible also speak about discernment, and that is through the spirit, which is in fact a matter of the heart. We discern truth from error, with a spiritually informed heart. The Bible also speaks about love. Is love conceptual, or how do you know about love, but with the heart?

In a nutshell, you are full of self-mistrust and using the Bible to support your mistrust of yourself. But you are taking the self-mistrust, which is in fact itself a matter of your own heart, and using it to interpret scripture to support what is ultimately, and originally, a matter of the heart. You cannot get around this.

Again, how do you even know what love truly is, if you don't listen to your heart? And if you don't know what love is, then you most assuredly cannot know truth. Nobody can.

I trust Gods word is correct. ;)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
hellfire, trinity, Perpetual virgin mary, pergatory... these and teachings like them are not found in the bible.

The fact that Mary was a perpetual virgin, does it contradict the message of Christ?

I am not saying that I am 100 % sure that Mary remained virgin all life long. But it is probable. It's like you thought that remaining virgin all life long is impossible.

No dear, it's possible. I heard of a relative of mine who died without having never had sex. She was as ugly as a carcass. That's why no man ever wanted her.
as you can see...it's possible.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When christians began studying the bible for themselves, they learn that these are falsehoods.
When a child finds and reads his parent's diary, do you think the story they see reflects the reality of what's on it's pages from the parent's point of view? I don't. It's simply reflective of the child's reality. The child sees falsehoods wherever things don't fit their limited understandings at such a young age. But are they false, simply because the child can't fit it into their minds at their age?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
The fact that Mary was a perpetual virgin, does it contradict the message of Christ?

I am not saying that I am 100 % sure that Mary remained virgin all life long. But it is probable. It's like you thought that remaining virgin all life long is impossible.

No dear, it's possible. I heard of a relative of mine who died without having never had sex. She was as ugly as a carcass. That's why no man ever wanted her.
as you can see...it's possible.

the scriptures (gospel accounts) say she had other chiildren besides Jesus.

Mark 6: 1 He departed from there and came into his home territory, and his disciples followed him. 2 When it was the Sabbath, he started teaching in the synagogue, and most who heard him were astounded and said: “Where did this man get these things? And why should this wisdom have been given to him, and such powerful works be performed through his hands? 3 This is the carpenter, the son of Mary and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas, and Simon, is it not? And his sisters are here with us, are they not?” So they began to stumble because of him.

Jesus had 4 brothers and at least 2 more sisters who were mary and Jospehs children.

Mary was most certainly not a 'perpetual virgin'

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
When a child finds and reads his parent's diary, do you think the story they see reflects the reality of what's on it's pages from the parent's point of view? I don't. It's simply reflective of the child's reality. The child sees falsehoods wherever things don't fit their limited understandings at such a young age. But are they false, simply because the child can't fit it into their minds at their age?

the bible wasnt written by the catholic church. It was written by Jesus apostles.

Now, when you compare the teachings found in the bible and the doctrines taught in the church, you dont need to be a genius to see the difference.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
the bible wasnt written by the catholic church. It was written by Jesus apostles.
But yet you accept the cannon of scripture as was compiled by the catholic church? If they were pagans in Christian clothing, doing Satan's bidding, I would think you should instead seek out the Nag Hammadi texts instead, since those were rejected by the "Whore of Babylon", as these religious groups spawned in the 1900's America love to call the RCC.

In reality of course, and to my point, how someone interprets these is always completely dependent upon the set of eyes they look at these with. How your church interprets and applies what it reads from scripture can, and is seen by others, as equally 'not what was written', as you say of others. They all believe with just as much sincerity as you do that they are right. In fact, you could be them yourself, and they you, depending on which group they found themselves landing in. They are you, and you are them.

My point is, how the RCC interprets scriptures, or rather applies the teaching of scriptures, is through the set of eyes they use, just as how you do is through the set of eyes you use. Same set of scriptures, just different sets of eyes.

Now, when you compare the teachings found in the bible and the doctrines taught in the church, you dont need to be a genius to see the difference.
And they can say the same thing looking at your group's reading of the scriptures.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
the scriptures (gospel accounts) say she had other chiildren besides Jesus.

Mark 6: 1 He departed from there and came into his home territory, and his disciples followed him. 2 When it was the Sabbath, he started teaching in the synagogue, and most who heard him were astounded and said: “Where did this man get these things? And why should this wisdom have been given to him, and such powerful works be performed through his hands? 3 This is the carpenter, the son of Mary and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas, and Simon, is it not? And his sisters are here with us, are they not?” So they began to stumble because of him.

Jesus had 4 brothers and at least 2 more sisters who were mary and Jospehs children.

Mary was most certainly not a 'perpetual virgin'

oh, please. Everyone knows that Joseph had those children before marrying Mary.
Joseph was already mature when he married the teenage Mary. That's why he had plenty of children from the previous marriage

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
oh, please. Everyone knows that Joseph had those children before marrying Mary.
Joseph was already mature when he married the teenage Mary. That's why he had plenty of children from the previous marriage

can you provide any scriptural evidence for that?