• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to make an atheistic statement seen by thousands in America, using only a red pen

Fatmop said:
Page 3, actually. Abe, a better reply to the question is along the lines s2a gave: "How do I hate something that doesn't exist?"
The question was, " Is your hate for God or the idea of God so strong that you would cross out the name God of our currency?" And I said yes. I hate the delusion of God.

gnomon

joeboonda said:
Our country was founded because people wanted to worship God how they chose, it was founded on freedom of religion, not freedom from religion. The founding fathers acknowledged that all men were CREATED equally, and most all believed in God. God and the Bible is part of our countries heritage, I think it is a huge mistake to turn our backs on the God who is our helper. I recognize the rights of people to worship or not worship, believe or not believe in any way, in any thing they wish, but I believe we should leave God on our currency and our pledge of allegiance, you don't have to believe in him or say 'under God' if you don't want to, but most of us do believe and do want to. Most people believe in some sort of God (or gods or goddess), some are not sure, and some just do not believe. We do not force anyone to believe, we just say our country and its laws were founded on Godly principles. I still do not understand how anyone could not believe in God, its, well, unbelievable. Just my thoughts, ya don't have to agree. Peace.
The United States was established primarily on the concept of the right to private property, fair taxation and the ability to pursue a capitalist economic system far more than the ability to choose how one wishes to praise God. The underlying factors behind the fires of revolution were taxes, the rights to ones property and the ideal of economic freedom and pluralistic government. Your assertion about the majority wishing one thing therefore assserting itself on the minority is tyranny at its basest. And actually against a primary standard of freedom established in this country put forth in the constitution and not helf by those who founded the system of government we possess.

The idea that this nation was founded on Godly priniciples is laughable. The concept of common law is one that rests outside of anything the Bible has put forth as human rights. The very history of our country and the amount of inhumane treatment the people of this country afforded to others at the time the motto was unconstitutionally placed on the currency and "under God" was enacted into the pledge show a level of hypocrisy and ignorance by the citizens of this country to show me that they are undeserving of any respect as thoughtful individuals. How ironic that more freedoms are now available to more people with the increasing secularization of our nation. Gotta love it.

jefferson9jo.jpg

Fatmop

I am sorry that it came across that way FatMop. I truly did not mean to insult you. What it looks like to you and what I said are actually two different things. I am sorry that it seemed that I insulted you, I didn't mean, I don't want to make enimies, I want friends.

I know that we dont' have the same beliefs or non-beliefs, and I'm not saying everyone has to believe in God. I was just trying to make a point, I hardly know anyone that uses cash anymore. I know it is used a lot, but it doesn't come through my hands or anyone I know a lot.

I am sorry if I insulted you, I truly did not mean to. If it came out wrong, again, I am sorry. I was only trying to point something out from my viewpoint.
I really didn't mean that to come across the way it did. I wasn't at all insulted! I was just pointing out that the point you were trying to make was invalid... but by 'sure there is' (a reason to be up in arms) I meant it in the most benign way possible.

It passes hands quickly because people don't have it for very long (duh.). People get cash to make a small purchase, make that purchase, and then don't have cash again til they need it. That's why it passes hands so quickly - because people don't use it much.
We seem to be taking slightly different tacks. Think of it this way: One person gets cash from an ATM (say $100) for the purpose of making a couple of small transactions. (Yes, people do this.) This person then makes, over the course of that hundred dollars' life within his hands, several transactions. He gets change from each, and uses the change to purchase things as well. All told, his $100 can wind up in anywhere from one to a hundred hands.

So let's say it ends up in three. He buys some groceries, takes his significant other to dinner, and gets ahold of a ticket to a small concert.
The grocery money, obviously, goes to the grocer - who in turn can either use it for change to hand out or send it to the bank, where it is ready to be doled out to an ATM again.

The concert (being performed by his child in the school orchestra) charges at the door; the money they take may go to a bank account, or it may go out in change to other people, but all of this money is eventually used to buy, oh, say a new bass. Hooray.

The restaurant he and his spouse/girlfriend/mudcake ate at also handles cash transactions. Most of the money he spends there winds up the same way the grocer's money does (ie, sent to the bank). However, this time there's also the waitress' tip to worry about. She takes her healthy 15% and can turn around and spend that cash somewhere else!

Just because it leaves your hands quickly doesn't mean it isn't used a lot!

Fatmop

The question was, " Is your hate for God or the idea of God so strong that you would cross out the name God of our currency?" And I said yes. I hate the delusion of God.
So it was. My mistake.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I don't use plastic... I use cash. :D
The business I work for (a full service laundry/propane filling station/rental property management) uses Cash only (and local checks)... no plastic (we don't eaven have a cash register: we have a drawer. We do have a calculator if you need it however.)
We are bit behind the times, but hey, we manage just fine. :jiggy:

We handle a lot of bills, mostly in denominations of $20 or less. Many of the businesses in my town handle a significant portion of thier transactions in cash. One business for a bit of fun is a prime mover of $2 bills... they love them and hand them out as often as possible. :cool:

All this dispite the fact that we are a college town.

wa:do

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think credit/debit cards are very inconvenient. You swipe it, wait up to a minute, have the customer sign the first reciept, and give them the second one, while a line of people form. Add a few people using a card in a row, it can start to iratate those who want to use cash and get right out.

SoyLeche

meh...
Luke Wolf said:
I think credit/debit cards are very inconvenient. You swipe it, wait up to a minute, have the customer sign the first reciept, and give them the second one, while a line of people form. Add a few people using a card in a row, it can start to iratate those who want to use cash and get right out.
That may be true, but I have a record of my purchases that I can access any time, and I didn't even have to remember to write them down. Plus - Skymiles (I never keep a ballance, so they aren't getting any interest from me. Free plane rides :woohoo: )

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Luke Wolf said:
Off topic slightly, but you started it! :D That desn't happen here in the UK any longer. The customer puts his own card in a chip and pin reader, punches in the pin, and gets a till receipt.

Americans lagging behind England in technology ? - surely not !!!!!!!!!!:biglaugh:

NoName

Luke Wolf said:
Most of the stores I go to are like what Michel described. You just swipe, put in your PIN, and you're off. About as quick as paying in cash with anything but exact change. (On a side note (in keeping with what has been going on) I hate it when people go through the Express Lane and have like 10 cans of soup, 5 TV dinners, etc., and count the soup as one item and the dinners as item two. :banghead3 )

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
That may be true, but I have a record of my purchases that I can access any time, and I didn't even have to remember to write them down.
I don't like the fact that my purchases are being recorded for public receord. This is just another example of Americans willingly giving up their 4th Amendment right.

Fatmop

I don't like the fact that my purchases are being recorded for public receord. This is just another example of Americans willingly giving up their 4th Amendment right.
Yeah! We should all be allowed to own guns!!!

Oh wait... that would be the 2nd. Rats.