• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to know what Jesus said

Matthew78

aspiring biblical scholar
Short, pithy and memorable....Jesus seminar

Awoon, I'm so disappointed :facepalm:.

I thought you were going to make a post about reliable criteria to distinguish between authentic sayings of Jesus and inauthentic sayings.

Awoon

Awoon, I'm so disappointed :facepalm:.

I thought you were going to make a post about reliable criteria to distinguish between authentic sayings of Jesus and inauthentic sayings.

No authentic sayings available. One has to dig and dig through the translations and early church scribal additives to find anything near the words of Jesus.

His Semitic culture.
His beliefs.
His family.
His meditations.
His time of history.
His language of Aramaic.

Search those in the gospels we have, and maybe Jesus words will appear to you.

But when you read any words in those gospels that are about Jesus then you know they are not his teachings. His teachings are strictly about the Kingdom of God and people to live in it NOW.

Shermana

Heretic
The Jesus Seminar was made up of who again? Who were these people deciding what he said and didn't? Was manuscript evidence at all a concern?

Awoon

The Jesus Seminar was made up of who again? Who were these people deciding what he said and didn't? Was manuscript evidence at all a concern?

A bunch of scholars for all I know.

Remember the west is made up of hierarchies that have to carry PHD, MD, BA after and before their names to be credible. No "letters" means one is nothing.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
A bunch of scholars for all I know.

Remember the west is made up of hierarchies that have to carry PHD, MD, BA after and before their names to be credible. No "letters" means one is nothing.
Gee! Wonder why?? Otherwise, we'd get ...
You!:rolleyes: