• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to filter nonsense from your newsfeed - and your life

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
How to filter nonsense from your newsfeed

This is pretty complicated at times, but I agree with what he is saying as a skeptical science person. If you are fed on the internet with ideas that agree with what what you believe already, that can lead to a trap where you are mired in nonsense. We need also to be open to what at first seems like a strange idea that doesn't make sense at first and examine it further to take time to ponder it and you might learn something new. We are all prone to falling for the kind of stuff that present what we were already inclined to believe. We are all biased. I'm biased. There's also other things he says here but that's my takeaway. Other people will have different takeaways than mine. They will concentrate more on other things Lawrence Krauss says, and that's okay. I've seen this guy before on TV and in person, and I don't agree with a lot of things he says, but this is a good talk.

The best way we should deal with echo chambers in practical terms I now realize is not to lobby the government to change the system but to deal with the system on the internet better.

exchemist

Veteran Member
How to filter nonsense from your newsfeed

This is pretty complicated at times, but I agree with what he is saying as a skeptical science person. If you are fed on the internet with ideas that agree with what what you believe already, that can lead to a trap where you are mired in nonsense. We need also to be open to what at first seems like a strange idea that doesn't make sense at first and examine it further to take time to ponder it and you might learn something new. We are all prone to falling for the kind of stuff that present what we were already inclined to believe. We are all biased. I'm biased. There's also other things he says here but that's my takeaway. Other people will have different takeaways than mine. They will concentrate more on other things Lawrence Krauss says, and that's okay. I've seen this guy before on TV and in person, and I don't agree with a lot of things he says, but this is a good talk.

The best way we should deal with echo chambers in practical terms I now realize is not to lobby the government to change the system but to deal with the system on the internet better.
I agree there is no sunstitute for using reliable sources, cross-checking them and checking what people with a different point of view are saying. It's not rocket science.

But I do think there is a place for improved regulation of the internet media. Some quite frightening phenomena have come to pass as a consequence of the current free-for-all. A good start would be a measure of editorial responsibility for what platforms publish.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
But I do think there is a place for improved regulation of the internet media. Some quite frightening phenomena have come to pass as a consequence of the current free-for-all. A good start would be a measure of editorial responsibility for what platforms publish.
Improvement in that area would be good, but I don't feel optimistic about much happening there. Not with free speech being upheld as much as it is, even with it being damaging.