• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to decide

dynavert2012

for me i was confused about many things like death of kids who not sins, the fate of who not believes and not know about prophets & messengers, why there are a lot of religions and scriptures that contradicted to each other, creation of evil, a lot of things indeed

so at first i ignored all religions then decide to look for these questions and till i find answers that i found sense in it

so for sure that you have a lot of questions that hesitate and confuse you, so i think the best way is to read the scriptures of different religions and see which one answers your questions and kills the doubts inside you

Red Panda

Folks above have offered some excellent words on knowing yourself firstly, so I will not echo what they have said.

Instead I will note that in some cases, you do not really "decide" on a religion. The only time I'd say I "decided" on a religion was when I left what I was being raised in as a child and decided "I am making my own religion and forging my own path." Then, many years later, I discovered that what I was doing already had a name and a community associated with it, then adopted the label Neopagan. I didn't really decide to become Neopagan, it just described what I already was. When you find what that religion is - the one that describes what you already do - the work is pretty much done for you.

My experience was similar. I read and studied a lot of New Age books, books on shamanism, wiccan, etc. Tried them on for awhile, then went searching again. Then I read a book on Tibetan Buddhism. When I got to the part describing the Bodhisattvas way of life, it described the way I had always felt. I knew I had found my spiritual home.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
for me i was confused about many things like death of kids who not sins, the fate of who not believes and not know about prophets & messengers, why there are a lot of religions and scriptures that contradicted to each other, creation of evil, a lot of things indeed

so at first i ignored all religions then decide to look for these questions and till i find answers that i found sense in it

so for sure that you have a lot of questions that hesitate and confuse you, so i think the best way is to read the scriptures of different religions and see which one answers your questions and kills the doubts inside you

I am having exactly the same problems. Thanks!

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
When I was a child, I 100% believed in Christianity, but had no emotional or intellectual attachment to it. Therefore, when I left it, I had no doubts about not going back.

When I was an Atheist, I thought that was all that was needed (if science wasn't the explanation, then it wasn't worth considering). However, I eventually found this to be intellectually disingenuous and soon explored religion again.

First I practiced Buddhism, which has helped me greatly and I still, in a way, practice it; but something was missing. Eventually, Buddhism led me to Hinduism and I am now studying and practicing the Sanatana Dharma. Buddhism helps me with my philosophical foundation, while Hinduism guides me spiritually.

To answer your question: when choosing your path, find one that has you use your brain, follow your heart and is intellectually & spiritually fulfilling.

Last edited:

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
ThirzaF you describe yourself as a liberal Christian. I don't imagine there are too many liberal congregations in the Bible Belt but I'm sure there must be an Episcopalean church somewhere near you. The Unitarians are widespread too. My recommendation is that you attend several different services until you find one where you feel comfortable and supported in your faith. Don't let anyone hustle you. Worship in spirit and in truth, allow your faith to grow naturally, and don't get in a hurry.

MightyWarrior22

I do not have a religion yet, because I am disiollusioned with many of them, I like Zoroastrianism and Taoism, but I am like trying to found one with no preconceptions and that does not reject the science.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I am born into Hinduism and grew up listening to tales of deities and miracles of saints and so forth and automatically developed faith and interest in my religion. However, within my religion, there are millions who do not worship any deity but just a saint (of their choice). SaiBaba of Shirdi, for instance, was both Hindu and Muslim. Mother of Shri Aurobindo Ashram, for instance, is originally a Christian and thus the mission founded by her and Shri Aurobindo have many people from the West who want to follow Hinduism as their members.

My suggestion would be that, instead of worshiping a deity from any religion, you can start worshiping a noble saint of any faith, whose life and miracles you trust to have happened, and he/she will definitely show you the way... Good Luck!