• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How to convert

Ahura

Helper of Ahura Mazda
this may go against other Zoroastrian beliefs but this is the way to convert according to the liberal Zoroastrian.

1.Study the Religious beliefs, philosophy, and the Holy Avesta.

2.Take some time to think about you decision, think if you really want to do this.

3.There are no words to recite, right of passage, etc. all you do is begin worshiping Ahura Mazda.

some will say that Ahura Mazda put us all in our religions for a reason and that you have to be born into Zoroastrianism. i disagree. if we all follow that then zoroastrianism would die. zoroastrianism is here for everyone. if Ahura Mazda put us all in religions for a reason, then why did Ahura Mazda have Zoroaster tell of his existence. there would be no point. so i believe in conversion for the survival of this beautiful religion.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Ahura,
Thanks for the info.
Yes surely would like tostudy the holy Avesta and pointers to the sites available.
Love & rgds

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Where can one find the Holy Avesta? What sources would be good to study Zoroastrianism?

I found mine via a book website, something like Amazon might have it. It took me a few years and a hefty price, but I was able to get one a few years ago.

Lucian

Theologian
I found mine via a book website, something like Amazon might have it. It took me a few years and a hefty price, but I was able to get one a few years ago.

Yeah I found something now, from a local internet bookshop. Does this one seem ok? It's somewhat costy, then again books usually are... And the problem of getting a soft or a hard cover version...

The Zend-Avesta, Part I
The Venidad
James Darmesteter [translator]
Publisher: Kessinger Publishing
Price: 36,95€ (hard cover) 25,95€ (soft cover)
The Zend-Avesta, Part II
The Sirozahs, Yasts and Nyayis
James Darmesteter [translator]
Price: 33,95€ (hard cover) 22,95€ (soft cover)

EDIT: Check this one out. The collection seems good but the price is insanity!

The Zend Avesta
F. Max Muller ; Max Muller F.
Publisher: Routledge/Curzon
Price: 569,90€

Description: These three volumes contain the translated text of "The Zend Avesta". Volume One is "The Vendidad", Volume Two is "The Sirozahs, Yasts, and Nyayis", and Volume Three is entitled "The Yasna, Visparad, Afrinagan, Gahs and Miscellaneous Fragments".

EDIT2: Looks like this one might be better:
The Zend Avesta Part I
The Sacred Books of the East Part Four
F. Max Muller [editor] ; James Darmesteter [translator]
Price: 37,95€ (hard cover) 23.95€ (soft cover)
The Zend Avesta Part II
The Sacred Books of the East Part Twenty-Three
F. Max Muller [editor] ; James Darmesteter [translator]
Price: 39,95€ (hard cover) 23.95€ (soft cover)
The Zend Avesta Part III
The Sacred Books of the East Part Thirty-One
F. Max Muller [editor] ; L. H. Mills [translator]
Price: 42,95€ (hard cover) 25.95€ (soft cover)

Last edited:

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
It all depends on how much you want to spend. I got a soft covered English translation for a little over $50 USD.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Books by Max Muller, Speigel, Haug, and Dermesteter are antique. They were the original translators. Try at Zoroastrian Sacred Texts. It is free. They are translations by Dermesteter and Mills. I would not miss out on Vendidad. These books contain early history of Aryans.

Last edited:
this may go against other Zoroastrian beliefs but this is the way to convert according to the liberal Zoroastrian.

1.Study the Religious beliefs, philosophy, and the Holy Avesta.

2.Take some time to think about you decision, think if you really want to do this.

3.There are no words to recite, right of passage, etc. all you do is begin worshiping Ahura Mazda.

some will say that Ahura Mazda put us all in our religions for a reason and that you have to be born into Zoroastrianism. i disagree. if we all follow that then zoroastrianism would die. zoroastrianism is here for everyone. if Ahura Mazda put us all in religions for a reason, then why did Ahura Mazda have Zoroaster tell of his existence. there would be no point. so i believe in conversion for the survival of this beautiful religion.

This sounds very much like the Baha'i conversion process. The only addition is that when we declare, we contact the local community to inform them of our choice. This gives us voting rights, and we can then contribute to the Baha'i funds (Baha'is Funds do not accept money from non-Baha'is).

How is it for Zoarastrians, do you have a similar step to let the Zoarastrian community know of your decision?

Yona

Frum Mastah Flex
I didn't know you could convert to Zoroastrianism? I thought if you weren't born into it, that's it? :confused:

I didn't know you could convert to Zoroastrianism? I thought if you weren't born into it, that's it? :confused:

Nah, that only came about due to Muslim conquest. Those still in their homelands could continue to practice (and still do) though it became illegal for anyone to convert to it (and still is). For the refugees who fled to India they were only allowed in if they didn't convert people. They simply adopted this culturally as survival mechanism I suppose. But with the modern age people from these backgrounds have moved into more secular societies. Since we don't have such restrictions they are suddenly allowed to accept converts. I'm not saying it's particularly common (the circumstances are relatively new) and you won't find Zoroastrians proselytizing on street corners but it is now possible.

Wannabe Yogi

Nah, that only came about due to Muslim conquest. Those still in their homelands could continue to practice (and still do) though it became illegal for anyone to convert to it (and still is). For the refugees who fled to India they were only allowed in if they didn't convert people.

How do you know this? For the older religions it is pretty common not to worry about converts.

dervish

Where can one find the Holy Avesta? What sources would be good to study Zoroastrianism?

Hi. I found a few links for the Avesta Online.

The Sacred Texts is a good place to start. They have it to read online there. I can't post the link because I am new here. Also check out Avesta.org.

Hope it helps.