• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How things are better...

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
We hear so much about how things are worse, how about we talk for awhile about in what ways laws & the world may be better now? I'll list a couple:

1. In the US, with the possible exception of Mississippi, you are unlikely to be jailed for credit card debt and such you are unable to pay, any more.

2. While I feel the health system is imperfect in my country, there have been advances in medicine and care overall in the past XX years. There appear to be more treatment options available for the various illnesses.

3. As far as I can tell, we seem to be moving away from people being able to use "I panicked" as a proper defense for killing trans people.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There are many signs such as these that thing are indeed changing in a positive way. The old order is putting up a tremendous but ultimately losing fight against what is coming. Virgil wrote of this:

The Sybil’s final song concludes at last;
The great Cycle of the ages begins anew.
Justice now returns, and Order reigns.
A New Humanity from heaven now descends,
And on the Earth the New Man now is born.
His coming brings the iron age to its close,
And the age of gold shall rise in all the world.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Air Conditioning! I mean..come on! Air conditioning combined solar panels is huge. In the end this is what 99% of our ancestors dreamed about.

What's next: Air conditioned clothing. Get me that, and I'll give you a world without sorrow or pain. Imagine working outdoors without getting uncomfortable. Wow. People would do our own plumbing. We'd be out there gardening all the time. We'd be cooking over hot stoves and farming the deserts and the whole bit.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Dentistry:

The local anesthetic used to take a day to wear off. Now it takes an hour.
Mercury amalgam is no longer used.
Dentists are gentler.
Round about x-rays can see way more than they used to.
Tiny cameras have their uses, as do lasers.
Computers keep accurate visual records.
Plus they can implant teeth. That's bordering on immortality.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Dentistry:

The local anesthetic used to take a day to wear off. Now it takes an hour.
Mercury amalgam is no longer used.
Dentists are gentler.
Round about x-rays can see way more than they used to.
Tiny cameras have their uses, as do lasers.
Computers keep accurate visual records.
Dentistry is really an unsung hero. Throughout history so many debilitating and fatal health conditions were complications of oral hygiene.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Air Conditioning!
I consider air conditioning quite evil.

It encourages people to move to places they don't like and the environment can't support them.

It encourages people to stay inside their energy intensive residences. Lying on a couch, eating junk food, playing violent games and watching TV.
None of that old fashioned "get to know your neighbors" crap.

It encourages people to feel entitled to have the environment change to suit them. Instead of seeing themselves as part of the environment.

So, how about we do away with AC unless it's a medical problem?
Tom

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

It encourages people to move to places they don't like and the environment can't support them.

It encourages people to stay inside their energy intensive residences. Lying on a couch, eating junk food, playing violent games and watching TV.

It encourages people to feel entitled to have the environment change to suit them. Instead of seeing themselves as part of the environment.

Tom
My father would have suffered heatstroke several times over, this coupled with his cancer would have likely killed him. AC probably saves more lives than not. Particularly amongst the elderly. And as someone who lives in Australia, with its heatwaves and droughts and scorching sun, you can pry my AC from my cold dead hands, sir!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Thank goodness for CAT and MRI and medical device continuous improvements. 1260150_orig.jpg FREE_308239995_AR_1_0.jpg hqdefault.jpg medium_B800244_0007.jpg

I can't imagine what life was like when they came up with the first brain surgery.

Heyo

Veteran Member
We hear so much about how things are worse, how about we talk for awhile about in what ways laws & the world may be better now? I'll list a couple:

1. In the US, with the possible exception of Mississippi, you are unlikely to be jailed for credit card debt and such you are unable to pay, any more.

2. While I feel the health system is imperfect in my country, there have been advances in medicine and care overall in the past XX years. There appear to be more treatment options available for the various illnesses.

3. As far as I can tell, we seem to be moving away from people being able to use "I panicked" as a proper defense for killing trans people.
Crime, especially violent crime, is decreasing.
Wars are fewer and less deadly.
Minority rights are better.
International cooperation is getting better.
Extreme poverty is at an all-time low.

Except for the environment things are getting better in almost all categories - at least on a global scale and in a long term perspective. There are still local and short term problems we'll have to manage.

epronovost

This last one, while very important, does feel like the most baby step of all baby steps toward the right direction.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member

Tom
You musn't reject Air Conditioning. The air conditioning has you. (my opinion :innocent:)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
How about Vaccines?
I mean we’ve (in much of the world) eradicated polio and small pox and all sorts. There are illnesses that were once common that need a textbook accompaniment for today’s younglings to even understand.
Like shows set in the 1800s will talk about like consumption and scarlet fever and measles and mumps etc. I remember having to ask my teacher because such illnesses are foreign to me.
Recent comebacks due to lax vaccination practices notwithstanding

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Communication ... When my uncle passed in 1944 on the other side of the planet, Mother and her family waited anxiously because there were no weekly letters. It took 4 months for the government letter to come. Today, with a POW exception, it would be less than a day.

We had secret signals (let the phone ring 3 times at 8 PM) to indicate to loved ones we had arrives safely back in the city on the Sunday evening late drive. It cost around $3 just to call home, and about a dollar a minute afterwards. Today it's practically free anywhere on the planet. In 1984 I called home from Mauritius just to talk to my spouse. It cost $15, and we spoke for about 2 minutes, maybe less. In 2015 we skyped with the grandchildren.

Global awareness ... with global wide immigration patterns, we get to understand and see other cultures without traveling. I can check the weather in Timbuktu. (It's 1 AM, 27 C, and a good chance it will rain tonight.)

MonkeyFire

It's not guaranteed that thing get better when things change. But things have to change to get better.

At the same time if you change without end and without a capacity you will eventually stop experiencing pleasure.