• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How The Brain Works and How It Relates To Religion

VanCrackin

The Freshmaker
The brain works like a computer. In the morning, when we wake up, it starts up like a computer, sending bits of nitric oxide to the thalamus, which in turn directs them elsewhere. Basically, starting up its operating system before performing more complex tasks.
Consciously, we are only able to think about one thing a time. The rest of the subject matter is stored away in the subconscious, until it is brought out to focus upon. An example of this was demonstrated to me in a very simple way: As my brother was explaining how the brain works to me, he very suddenly punched me in the arm. My thoughts immediately jumped from the subject material as to why he would hit me, what the point of it was- all in an instant, my brain was trying to calculate the reasoning behind it. He then of course, told me that my brain had stopped thinking about the subject material, and without my control, jumped to the 'loudest' thought in my head - the reason why he hit me.
Along this same line of reasoning, he then proceeded to explain to me that humans may not have any control over what they use their conscious thoughts on, instead naturally focusing on the 'loudest' thought in their subconscious, which is brought forward.
Therefore, the only thing that we have some control over is what input goes into our consciousness. However, because of the way our brain works, a part of that is already predecided. We are going to think most about what we want most, and then more often then not, follow through with it. Sometimes it may be in the short term, such as watching TV instead of doing homework. Or sometimes it may be in the longterm, such as suffering through a job one hates to support his family, but eventually quitting to salvage some degree of happiness. However, the brain will always crave gratification. It's a selfish organism. It wants to be happy.
Some people gain this happiness in different ways. Perhaps by spending money on something nice for oneself, or by bringing flowers home for a significant other (because the attention then that the significant other will shower upon the giver will make the giver happy.) Even unselfish acts equate back to the giver feeling good about himself or herself. Of course, what makes the brain happy is different for all people. Some people like to spend money on themselves, and their brain provides that idea with positive reinforcement. Other people don't like to give charity, so the brain structures that idea, in turn, with negative reinforcement. One is not as likely to repeat tasks that have negative reinforcement as tasks that the brain gives positive reinforcement to.

So, how does this relate to religion?
The human brain is a selfish organism, wanting happiness and gratification. We know most of the human race to be egotistical and prideful, no matter who or where you are. There is always a hierarchy in the world and everyone wants to be at the top of his or her respective latter.
Therefore, it is obvious to see that the brain does not want to cease to exist. No one wants to lose consciousness. It wants to succeed, and be powerful. Losing consciousness is a subject that many atheists struggle with for a while. Who wants to believe that when we die, we will never see our loved ones again?
The solution to this depressing thought is religion, and faith. Positive reinforcement of this idea that we are going to a fluffy place in the sky makes the brain happy. Therefore, the more one goes to church and experiences this idea, the more positive reinforcement it gains, which can directly equate to more faith.
Is this why the devout are so faithful? Because of positive reinforcement?

FatMan

I think the devout are so faithful because of another inherent trait - fear. They are so fearful of the unknown and what will come after they leave this world that they choose to spend tons and tons of time worshipping something.

I guess the theory is the more time you put into adoration, the more you will be rewarded in the afterlife. I'd rather deal in the known and control my lot here.

Random

The brain is not the Mind: the Mind is the freeflow of code or Information that the brain processes. The brain does not want or desire anything: it is a computer, but an impersonal one. Wants and desires are the cosmic language by which we perpetuate division and conflict (via choice) within the virtual world we call "real". What lends it a sense of reality subjectively is that, as science has proven, the brain actively simulates everything seen, heard, touched, tasted and scented in the world from an observer/observed persepctive; ie. with and internal-external divide extant. However, in more enlightened moments, one can see this divide as esentially illusory and thus conclude that the perceptions upon which we base our notion of the Real are in fact only sur-real, informed as they are by consciousness, form and thought.

In short, things exist: just not as they seem. You row your boat gently down the stream, and hopefully come to the wisdom that life is but a dream somehow.

VanCrackin

The Freshmaker
The brain is not the mind, but is the brain not directly linked to our consciousness? And is not our consciousness basically "the freeflow of code or information that the brain processes?" Our brain accesses this code and the emotions and feelings that correspond with it.

Random

The brain is not the mind, but is the brain not directly linked to our consciousness? And is not our consciousness basically "the freeflow of code or information that the brain processes?" Our brain accesses this code and the emotions and feelings that correspond with it.

Yes! I'm actually quite glad you understand, few do. You are right, of course the brain is linked to thoughts, thought-forms, consciousness and the result is perception. Each one begats the other in aggregate order: Thought, Form, Consciousness and finally Perception. E-motions, or properly Entropic Motions, result from the conscious divide between observer and observed, which as we know is illusory @ a higher (one might say "quantum") level.

You are doubly right, in fact: I have a saying that explains it (if you'll indulge me for a moment...). It goes:

Consciousness IS what consciousness is conscious OF

Meaning that is its content, and that is how consciousness can simultaneously contain and transcend everything that is part of it. Consciousness is holistic.

Thank you for your post, VanCrackin, and for an excellent thread.​

Peace and blessings,​

Random​

VanCrackin

The Freshmaker
Consciousness IS what consciousness is conscious of...

Very interesting, almost a limerick.

Likewise, thanks for your insight and thoughts. :D

VanCraken, you wrote all that just to say that people are happier thinking they will go to a fluffy haven when they die? Let me give YOU a lesson on how the brain works! We are such that we can appreciate when things are "good" only in proportion to how "bad" they were before or the suffering someone else has endured. All is relative. If you focus on an ideal life, by comparison your present life seems dull and onerous. If, like me, you know a "fluffy heaven" is a haven that doesn't exist, then one's present life is not, by comparison, any longer dull and onerous.

I am old now, but I have lived a very happy, unusually unusual and progressive life. I accept that I will cease to any longer exist like we accept everthing that cannot be changed. We humans are adaptable; that is why we can progress and should progess. We should leave old ideas behind . . .

Jeremiah

The Brain works in revers of a computer.

You have a good start on how the consciousness works but I think you might want to keep digging. It is very complex.

Try not to consider the brain and the consciousness as two things.

VanCrackin

The Freshmaker
VanCraken, you wrote all that just to say that people are happier thinking they will go to a fluffy haven when they die? Let me give YOU a lesson on how the brain works! We are such that we can appreciate when things are "good" only in proportion to how "bad" they were before or the suffering someone else has endured. All is relative. If you focus on an ideal life, by comparison your present life seems dull and onerous. If, like me, you know a "fluffy heaven" is a haven that doesn't exist, then one's present life is not, by comparison, any longer dull and onerous.

I am old now, but I have lived a very happy, unusually unusual and progressive life. I accept that I will cease to any longer exist like we accept everthing that cannot be changed. We humans are adaptable; that is why we can progress and should progess. We should leave old ideas behind . . .

Ah, but I have athiest friends and family, and I have heard from many of them that accepting athiesm was hard and made many of them depressed at times, still does.
However, I have never heard of an accepter of God being depressed about that choice.

Personally, I think to be an athiest and to not have some reservations about the idea, as human beings are egotistical beings, you have to be in a different mindset than most.

And I doubt most devout Christians would consider their lives "dull" because they believe in heaven.

I never stated the brain and the consciousness were two different things, but that they have different functions.

Jeremiah

I never stated the brain and the consciousness were two different things, but that they have different functions.

Maybe that could be a matter of religious views. But it is much easier to think of them as one; by separating them you are just adding to many unprovable variables. I know from experience the consciousness does not function right without the brain working right. The brian is not just for data processing it is the brain that makes the consciousness exist in this physical world.

:)

Ozzie

Along this same line of reasoning, he then proceeded to explain to me that humans may not have any control over what they use their conscious thoughts on, instead naturally focusing on the 'loudest' thought in their subconscious, which is brought forward.
The "loudest" thought might well be how to avoid pain (anxiety). In the example you bring here, you did not anticipate pain.
However, the brain will always crave gratification. It's a selfish organism. It wants to be happy.
Happiness might be addiction to avoidance of pain for some people.
One is not as likely to repeat tasks that have negative reinforcement as tasks that the brain gives positive reinforcement to.
A better definition of what behaviour the brain may reinforce is that which an individual finds adaptive, though their reason for finding behaving in a certain way is adaptive might be irrational, and the action ultimately self-defeating in terms of happiness.

To extend your notion of brain function to religion is fair enough. But it might be confounded with notions of what happiness is. These are different amongst individuals as you say. But happiness may be achieved by goal directed avoidance one might be unconscious of, as well as it might be attained by reaching out for the thing that is the object of the loudest thought in consciousness.

VanCrackin

The Freshmaker
Pain is not the only example. Just try talking on the phone and watching a comedy show, and giving both your full attention. It's impossible. Or attempting to do a complex math problem in your head while counting out loud. You will give one more attention than the other constantly, most likely which one you are giving attention to is the one that is the most important, that is loudest.

It can even be demonstrated by the "pat your belly rub your head game" - which takes practice for most people to master.
You will give one more attention than the other constantly, most likely which one you are giving attention to is the one that is the most important, that is loudest.

And happiness is different from everybody, but the common denominator is that nobody (sometime in their lives) wants to be nothing. It's a scary thought.

"consciousness does not function right without the brain working right."

You are correct, the consciousness relies on the brain. Psychotic conditions could be an example of this. However, the explanation is that the brain has a problem that makes it unable to process the code 'correctly.'
If you are a religious person, then yes, the consciousness can exist without the brain.

Sonic247

If something is in your heart you are more likely to be conscience of it, (from the Christian perspective man sees the outside but God sees the heart). For example I love playing guitar, so when I started playing guitar I noticed whenever a guitar was being played, like on a tv commercial. Kind of how when someone is in love with someone they will see an hear thing that remind them of that person. A person who loves money will see bussiness opurtunities that others may not, however he might be so focused on them he loses sight of more important things. So people who love God see more often when he does something in their lives. Of course some will say they imagine it but I don't think this is the case.

lew0049

CWebb
The solution to this depressing thought is religion, and faith. Positive reinforcement of this idea that we are going to a fluffy place in the sky makes the brain happy. Therefore, the more one goes to church and experiences this idea, the more positive reinforcement it gains, which can directly equate to more faith.
Is this why the devout are so faithful? Because of positive reinforcement?

Your thread is well thought out; however, just because mankind wants some type of internal satisfaction does NOT mean that is does not exist. I find little substance to this wishful thinking argument simply because it lacks a level of truth. For example, just because I always 'wishfully' wanted a great girlfriend does not mean that I don't have a great girlfriend right now.

And I fully believe that a relationship with God/Jesus is the only thing that can 100% satisfy the overwhelming want of mankind to be loved. Just from personal experience and talking with people, I believe on the inside of everyone, the #1 thing that nothing on earth can fully satisfy is being loved. And yet, that is mans greatest desire.

lew0049

CWebb

That is just like saying you should keep adding on to a building without the proper maintance of the foundation.

And everything is very relative, yet the question becomes, where did our sense of good/bad or morality come from. Furthermore, you are implying that we do not understand when others are going through suffering, even if we have not experienced it. For example, I have been very blessed in my life and when something 'bad' happens in my life - like receiving a C is grad school - I am still fully aware that I am blessed as innocent people are dying across the world.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I do not believe in dualism, that the mind and brain are separate. Instead, I believe that the mind and brain are one and the same. The mind is the function of the brain. The mind doesn't control the brain, that would be like saying that movement controls the muscle. If the mind (or consiousness) is what the brain does, then the brain controls the mind.

As for the computer analogy, I hope some of you aren't under the impression that software or information is something intangible or non-physical. There is nothing metaphysical or supernatural about the function of a computer. Every bit of code exists as electrical and magnetic charges, or on the CD or DVD as little bumps to deflect the lazer. There are also physical explanations of how the brain works, billions of neruons interacting with each other and taking in stimulus from the senses and sending out impulses to their effectors. Thoughts are physical events in the brain.

Runt

I personally find the link between neurology, psychology and religion to be extremely fascinating. The following is a shortened (for your convenience) "short response" paper I wrote for my "religion and psychology" course last semester, wherein I explore some of the research done on the connection between the frontal lobes and the formulation of religious belief.

The frontal lobes play an important role in an individual’s ability to possess religious beliefs. They are associated with the emotional response which allows counterintuitive ideas to be easily accessible to the memory, the Theory of Mind mechanism which allows an individual to conceive of a conscious God, and the agency detection mechanism which allows an individual to perceive animate objects as controlled by a divine will.

According to Paloutzian, by dealing with phenomena which “cannot be fully accounted for by mundane explanations”, religion creates mysteries which are responsible for causing “tension in believers rather than resolving it”. For example, an apostle witnessing Jesus Christ walking upon water would be in a difficult spot, intellectually. On the one hand, he would feel the need to reject, based upon his understanding of reality, the idea that a person can walk on water. On the other hand, he would have to accept, based upon the evidence before his eyes, the very notion that his knowledge and experience tell him is not possible: Jesus Christ has somehow managed to ignore the natural laws and walk on water as if it were stone. Unable to explain this phenomena using his present schema and filled with awe at what his senses reveal to him, the apostle would be forced to attribute the phenomena of Christ’s walking on water to the sphere of “mystery”.

Research by Boyer and Ramble suggests that counterintuitive ideas such as the one discussed above are easier to remember than ideas with no intuitive violations, which may simply be the due to their ability to incite strong emotional responses. Continuing with the above example, the feelings of awe associated with the mystery of witnessing Jesus Christ walk upon water would make the event more readily accessible to the apostle’s memory than recollections of other events. Thus , this memory would be more likely to be incorporated into the vast body of experiences which, together, help form his worldview.

According to McNamara, the “emotionalist aspect of religious phenomena would be hard to explain if we localized religion to any other aspect of the brain besides the frontal lobes”. Also associated with religious belief and dependant upon the frontal lobes are the mechanisms of Theory of Mind and agency detection. According to McNamara, current research performed by Baron-Cohen suggests that the frontal lobes are associated with the Theory of Mind mechanism which enables individuals to perceive that others possess minds. This is important to the religious individual because it is responsible for his or her ability to conceive of a conscious god. The intentionality detector, on the other hand, allows people to (sometimes fallaciously) attribute intentions to animate objects. Thus, if a meteor were to crash through the kitchen window of a religious individual right now, because of his or her functioning agency detection mechanism, he or she would be able to attribute the sudden arrival of this astronomical object to divine will.

Thus, functioning frontal lobes are vital to an individual’s ability to incorporate counterintuitive religious experiences into their worldviews, conceive of a conscious God, and perceive objects as instruments of divine will.