• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How should we view Jesus in the Dharmic Religions?

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Honestly, having alot of religious education (I'm syncretic), to the point where I picked and chose religion, the best understanding of Jesus is that assuming the Christians are right about Jesus being a Savior... that would make him essentially the equivalent of what Buddhists call a boddhisattva of Mahayana tradition.
Part of why I never found Buddhism to be particularly at odds with Western religions.

Dantedeven

Know that our Lord has unlimited manifestations.
And that Jesus can very well be one of them.
Whatever your view is, keep your respect, always.
And only answer if you did your honest research.

As for me, there are only three worthy of my honest worship.
The Tathagata, The Lamb and Krishna or God.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There are many more. Shiva, Vishnu, Brahma, Durga, Matsya (Fish), Kurma (Tortoise), Varaha (Boar), Nrisimha (Man-lion), Vamana (Dwarf), Parashurama, Rama, Ganesha, Kartikeya, Hanumana. Do you know about Vardhamana of the Jains or Nanak of Sikhism or Kabir.

Satyamavejayanti

Buddha Dharma

Namaste,

If we should have any view of him at all, that is...

I think Dharm is not personality based, it is not linked to a person of historical existence, therefore people and personalities are secondary to the higher ideals of Dharmah, for Hindus like me this Dharmah is Satya and Ahimsa, and if a person practices these major dharmas then the persons Karm is considered Dharmic, not the persons history or the claims of divinity.

I am more so asking Hindus if they believe Jesus is cosmic or heavenly in any sense.

Being of a Vedanta bent of mind, this question of being "cosmic", is applicable to all, not just a person some 2000 years ago. We are all cosmic according to my understanding of Dharmah.

Dhanyavad

PS: I like your posts.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, we are all cosmic, star-dust, not just Jesus. Only that people do not realize it. Ignorance, What else!

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
People inevitably vary widely as do their views. This is no different. People will respond to Jesus however they please.
Some pray to Him, others ignore him.
It's not a matter of "how should we" but a matter of how do we.

And how depends much on the person and often their personal experience with Christians in general.
I grew up around Christians, so I think nothing of saying grace before eating with them or indeed praising Jesus as Lord.
My ma's group even sing songs of praise which mention Jesus and Buddha and Allah and whoever else they worship I guess.:shrug:
People should and are free to engage with Jesus however they please.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
So, Id see jesus as a regular human being who has a personal relationship with his father like christians to jesus. So, that's how I see him. I don't know about Hindus though.
Ah yes, a son has a personal relationship with his biological father, though he may know his father or may not know him. I do not see any reason why should Hindus be concerned about Jesus?

godnotgod

Thou art That
Ah yes, a son has a personal relationship with his biological father, though he may know his father or may not know him. I do not see any reason why should Hindus be concerned about Jesus?

The Romanized 'Jesus' is a myth. It is the real Yeshua who is a man of the East, not of the West. Yeshua's teachings, derived from Hinduism and Buddhism, both breath-based practices, were overwritten by Paul and Rome to include pagan doctrines, such as blood sacrifice, bodily resurrection, and a virgin birth. This 'new' religion became modern Christianity. It was designed to fit into Constantine's view of the world.

Jedster

Yeah, we are all cosmic, star-dust, not just Jesus. Only that people do not realize it. Ignorance, What else!

Indeed.
As you probably know, Satpal Maharaj (BJP) is the brother of my former Guru.
The devotees believe that Satpal is Jesus, and the other brothers are Shiva and Brahma.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
First his younger brother was Jesus, then he became a Jesus. Now his son will become something like that too, perhaps a David or Solomon, or the the Jesus Second come. I am not at all impressed by these Indian gurus. Incidentally, he is a Minister in the Uttarkhand BJP government, as you said. A political Jesus, aspiring to be the Chief Minister, which he never will be. Initially he threw a tantrum.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The Romanized 'Jesus' is a myth. It is the real Yeshua who is a man of the East, not of the West. Yeshua's teachings, derived from Hinduism and Buddhism, both breath-based practices, were overwritten by Paul and Rome to include pagan doctrines, such as blood sacrifice, bodily resurrection, and a virgin birth. This 'new' religion became modern Christianity. It was designed to fit into Constantine's view of the world.
Maybe. Maybe not.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
First his younger brother was Jesus, then he became a Jesus. Now his son will become something like that too, perhaps a David or Solomon, or the the Jesus Second come. I am not at all impressed by these Indian gurus. Incidentally, he is a Minister in the Uttarkhand BJP government, as you said. A political Jesus, aspiring to be the Chief Minister, which he never will be. Initially he threw a tantrum.
You don't need soap operas in India. The fringes of the political arena provide all the entertainment one needs.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Furthermore, an American non-resident Indian is trying to sell his various contraptions to Uttarkhand government. He is an avowed disciple of Maharaj. The Maharaj, as a minister, can certainly influence the sale. Whether the contraptions are useful or not is immaterial.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Maybe. Maybe not.

From the information available, 99% maybe and 1% maybe not. Admittedly, no smoking gun, but taken as a whole, it all points/dovetails to 'yes'. Add to this the suspicious and glaring 18 year silence about Yeshua from the Christian camp in comparison to a good number of reports from the East of his travels during those so-called 'missing years'.

godnotgod

Thou art That
Honestly, having alot of religious education (I'm syncretic), to the point where I picked and chose religion, the best understanding of Jesus is that assuming the Christians are right about Jesus being a Savior... that would make him essentially the equivalent of what Buddhists call a boddhisattva of Mahayana tradition.
Part of why I never found Buddhism to be particularly at odds with Western religions.

'Jesus', or rather, Yeshua was a member and leader of the Nazarenes, a sect of the Essenes. As such he was known as 'The Teacher of Righteousness'. Following is an excerpt from a most fascinating, and for me, convincing, account of the Essene Messiah:

"While the Pharisee awaited the arrival of a Davidian Messiah who would enable the Jews to rule over a vast empire, the Essene envisioned a supernatural Messiah of Moral Judgment. It was the Pharisee who developed Temple worship and the ritual of blood sacrifice both of which were rejected by the Essene.* Around 100 BCE there is evidence that a leader arose among the Essene, who having travelled the known world absorbed influences from other religions in the region and introduced the doctrines of Pythagoras to the Judaeo/Zorastrian community...

..Members of the [Essene] community believed that the Teacher possessed divine powers to interpret scriptures. Based on scant evidence, it is believed that this 'Teacher of Righteousness' was condemned to death and executed during the reign of Aristobulus II (Jewish High Priest and King 66-63 BCE)...

From the 'Testament of the Twelve Patriarchs,' originally written during the reign of Hyrcanus, but ammended after the fall of Aristobulus II, we learn that this period became known as 'the end of ages.' There also exist a few latter day Christian additions probably added during the first century. About the year 60 BCE a number of interpolations were added in which the Teacher is referred to as the 'savior of the world' and 'God incarnate' a term not used to describe Jesus by the Apostolic Church. At first, members of the early Catholic Church accepted this document as referring to Jesus and numerous copies were made, but by the third century theologians began to doubt its authenticity. Scholars eventually established that the document was originally a second century BCE composition which had undergone numerous additons and interpolations mostly right after the conquest by Pompey. The early dating of this document is clear from references to the fall of the Temple and the end of the independent Jewish kingdom which only happened when Pompey took Jerusalem. Further evidence of pre-Christian origin is first, the failure to make any mention of the Romans, but only that the Teacher was murdered by the Jewish priests, and secondly the writers total lack of knowledge of history beyond this time frame.

The Essene community believed that the 'Teacher of Righteousness' would "establish the kingdom of heaven upon earth. The entire concept is parallel to that which Jesus entertained concerning Himself. Immediately upon returning to the earth in power, the Teacher was to conduct the Last Judgment and become the head and ruler of the new kingdom; the Gentiles would be enlightened by him, accept his gospel, and become regenerate;"—Martin A. Larson, "The Story of Christian Origins."

The Essene community now possessed the most precious of all religious elements in the Greco-Roman world. They had their very own sacrificial godman. Rumors quickly spread among the Essene community that this 'Teacher of Righteousness' had ascended into heaven and would soon return as the all-powerful 'Son of Man' first mentioned by Isaiah and later by Ezekiel, Daniel (lifted from the Persian Zoroaster) and most recently in the Essene Book of Enoch. Now, other members of the Essene community would probably have suffered the same fate as the Teacher had the Romans, under the leadship of Pompey, not taken Jerusalem c 63 BCE."

https://www.nazoreans.com/essene_teacher.html

*which, of course, would include the blood sacrifice of 'Jesus' on the cross.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
From the information available,
This is the phrase that a lot of historical debaters use. "From the information available' . I believe it means 'from the information I want to believe' or 'from the information that agrees with my pre-existing determination' . Still, when 100 historians look at the information available, they come to 100 different conclusions (yes, exaggeration for effect).

In war history, each side likes to take the records from their side, which is biased.
I remain agnostic about history, and rather detached, far more concerned about the present. So my comment stands. "Maybe. Maybe not." It's neutral, yet I suspect both sides will view it against theirs. Such is the folly of false reasoning.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Except that you've not looked at the 'information available', have you? See here, for one:

https://www.nazoreans.com/essene_teacher.html
That is correct. I haven't. Not in this particular case, or now. I have in the past though, and discovered that for most historical situations, there are several hundreds of documents, books, stories, tales, etc. relating to each issue. People choose (as you have just proved beyond any trace of a doubt) the ones that suit their agenda. But that's just life. I have no issue with it. People are free to believe as they see fit.

Unknown years of Jesus - Wikipedia