• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How much does Man need religion in the modern world.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Timeline of religion - Wikipedia

The above link shows clearly Man needed religion from long before any of today's religions. The oldest temple so far discovered is
Göbekli Tepe, there are other examples of religions that predates Judaism and today's religions.

Man yearns to understand his place in the world and to find anything to give him an edge, especially in a world where he needed to know where to hunt and forage for food, cure themselves of minor ailments and we believed natural phenomenon were acts of a god.

Today Man knows we're just one planet in a solar system of approximately 500,000 planets, understand evolution, have supermarkets for food, chemists for drugs, and understand natural phenomenon aren't acts of any god, etc.

Does Man need a being in the sky to protect us, why should Man believe in any god?

"Being" means presence in any form of "being". Meaning of which is to be complete, and present, which the atmospheric heavenly mass is.

So do we by the quote, a hu MAN thinking need it, to protect us, yes we most certainly do.

Now if you ask, is there a separate "being" in the atmospheric mass....yes, we already know we are separate as we are not held and can move around freely.

Another conscious aware status. The being needs presence to own "being".

Then you would own another quote......man/men however invented an artificial machine without the highest consciousness as used by natural man/men in their highest form, natural.

Artificial, and encoded the recording of voice and image as they altered the heavenly highest ownership, of self "being".

Why the theme and story was taught as being relative against human group lying, which in self human purpose is a motivated human history of manipulation in groups against all other life.

Religion as a group, family unity was formed for that purpose, to own a group also to contend with elite evil greediness owned and applied by choice in human life.

The purpose of which also involved a medical conscious conditioning application, by building structure (sound sonics), meditation, prayer, singing and a mutual living extended family community support that slavery had removed the natural family group from, as a history of telling a human truth, for human purpose.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I see unfulfilled sad lonely people every where both religious and non religious.

So do I....its a good gauge on whether one has the truth or a cheap, unfulfilling imitation IMO....

Atheists substitute other things for religion but operate on the same foundation...everyone "worships" something or someone, but may not recognize what they do as "worship". It is anything that you devote much of your time and attention to....it can even be food, according to the scriptures. (Philippians 3:19)

I personally could not endure this life without knowing why I was here....and where, if this life ends, is there any hope of a better one to come...heaven knows this one is far from optimal....and it seems that man is programmed for life in paradise......why do people flock to paradise locations, even just for a short vacation? Its is in us to want to go on living in such a place.....to not get sick...or age or lose loved ones in death. Evolution cannot explain this....but the Bible does. I personally like what it foretells. It fills an emptiness in me and gives me a reason for living.

PAUL MARKHAM

It is not a crime to be born Gay, according to the teaching ( not only Islam) it is the act between two of same gender that is seen as the sin.
I know other religions ban same sex. But we are talking about Islam.

So peoplewho are born gay haveto live without sex.

PAUL MARKHAM

I agree that people's opinions are not proof, so you do not have to prove that.

You cannot prove that the Bible isn't the word of God.
Religion is not responsible for evil, people are.
So Baha posting his opinions isn't proof.

I can prove that Men made up a lot the stories in the bible. From Genesis to Constantine.

Religious people are doing evil every day. It's a great tool for doing evil, even the Israelites used it to justify killing Cainites.

Last edited:

PAUL MARKHAM

No, what brought me to the brink of suicide was something else so horrible I cannot post it here... It was because I believed in God that I did not actually take my own life.

People who believe in God commit suicide every day, so belief in God does not prevent suicide, although it did stop me, that and caring about my husband and cats I would have left behind.
Your family should have been enough to stop you.

PAUL MARKHAM

I assumed no such thing so that is a straw man you built.
I know that happiness can be found in one's family, friends, hobbies, work, meditation. etc.

Material things bring no lasting happiness, it is just an illusion of happiness. We are wealthy so we could have a fancy new car but we drive 1986 and 1999 Hondas.
Material things don't bring you happiness. Don't think they can't for others. Also family, friends, hobbies, work, meditation. etc. May not work for you, but they work for billions of other people.

PAUL MARKHAM

I do not believe that man needs religion.
The proof is that many people get along very well without any religion.
We agree. Many do get along very nicely without religion. It's you that needs religion to provide some meaning to your life.

In earlier times Man needed to answer the questions of why we are here, why the universe is here, etc. Today we know so the original need for religion is gone. Only to be replaced for some by saying they like religion in their life.

PAUL MARKHAM

So do I....its a good gauge on whether one has the truth or a cheap, unfulfilling imitation IMO....

Atheists substitute other things for religion but operate on the same foundation...everyone "worships" something or someone, but may not recognize what they do as "worship". It is anything that you devote much of your time and attention to....it can even be food, according to the scriptures. (Philippians 3:19)

I personally could not endure this life without knowing why I was here....and where, if this life ends, is there any hope of a better one to come...heaven knows this one is far from optimal....and it seems that man is programmed for life in paradise......why do people flock to paradise locations, even just for a short vacation? Its is in us to want to go on living in such a place.....to not get sick...or age or lose loved ones in death. Evolution cannot explain this....but the Bible does. I personally like what it foretells. It fills an emptiness in me and gives me a reason for living.
Another person who assumes wrongly.

Because you think you've found the one true religion don't assume those who aren't in the same religion don't find happiness.

You are here because your parents made you.
You don't know there is life after death. You just hope there is and have no proof.
I think the lights go out and I'm dead.

ecco

Veteran Member
Mankind requires total hope. If you just dont care about hope because you dont care about your life, then you just as easily suffer.
As an atheist, I care about life. One reason that I care about my life here on earth, is that I know it's the only one I'll ever have. One reason that I care about the lives of my loved ones here on earth, is that I know it's the only one they'll ever have.

I don't hopefully hold on to any delusions of a blissful eternity after I die. But if you need to believe in wishful thinking, OK.

ecco

Veteran Member
Atheists substitute other things for religion but operate on the same foundation...everyone "worships" something or someone, but may not recognize what they do as "worship".

There ya go again. Pretending to know the mindset of an atheist.

Maybe you feel guilty about your need to have something to worship and you need to put that guilt onto everyone else.

I personally could not endure this life without knowing why I was here

That sounds really insecure. It's also part of the basis for gods and religions to begin with.

Ancient Man: Where do we come from. Why are we here?
Ancient Medicine Man: We don't know the answers to those questions. Oops - I mean GodDidIt.

s there any hope of a better one to come...heaven knows this one is far from optimal

Hope and wishful thinking don't make it so. Maybe you should optimize your current life, since it may well be all you are going to get.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Atheists substitute other things for religion but operate on the same foundation...
... in the same sense that people who don't play golf find "substitutes for golf."

If you really can't appeciate non-religious perspectives without trying to shoehorn them into your own point of view, then I kinda pity you.

PAUL MARKHAM

As an atheist, I care about life. One reason that I care about my life here on earth, is that I know it's the only one I'll ever have. One reason that I care about the lives of my loved ones here on earth, is that I know it's the only one they'll ever have.

I don't hopefully hold on to any delusions of a blissful eternity after I die. But if you need to believe in wishful thinking, OK.
Agree.
This is all anyone gets. Life is a one shot game.
Make the best of it because there's no second round.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So Baha posting his opinions isn't proof.
Neither are your opinions proof.
I can prove that Men made up a lot the stories in the bible. From Genesis to Constantine.
Go ahead, but I do not know what it matters, as it is all in the past. This is a new age. Why waste time talking about the Bible?
Religious people are doing evil every day. It's a great tool for doing evil, even the Israelites used it to justify killing Cainites.
Doing evil is not limited to religious people, and it is not the religion that makes then do evil, it is their own character.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Material things don't bring you happiness. Don't think they can't for others. Also family, friends, hobbies, work, meditation. etc. May not work for you, but they work for billions of other people.
That depends upon how you define happiness, but I agree that people derive happiness from different things.
Most people would not be content with what I derive happiness from, nature and animals, and talking to people on forums.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
We agree. Many do get along very nicely without religion. It's you that needs religion to provide some meaning to your life.
I lived most of my life until the last eight years without having anything to do with God or my religion. I was a Baha'i but God and the religion were totally in the background. In those days I was busy with other pursuits such as education and a career and real estate. Then as I got older I decided to give the religion and God another chance and only then did I realize how important religion and God are and what I was missing in my life.