• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Much Do You Doubt God's Existence?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Illogical .. why associate what humans might be responsible for, with a Creator of the universe?

Are you saying that it is "a mistake" to give responsibility to others?
We are responsible for the foreseeable consequences of our actions.

If God is responsible for humanity and could foresee everything that humans will ever do, then everything that humans will ever do is a foreseeable consequence of God's actions.

If you disagree, please tell me which specific part of this you disagree with.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Except that you don't get to set the standard for what is evidence, nor what anyone else chooses to do with it.
I wasn't trying to. I'm just saying that, the lower you set your standards, the more gods you get.
And they are both be right. Because all they are proclaiming is how they are choosing to imagine God's existence, and what they are choosing to call it. Which ultimately has no bearing on the actual nature or existence of God. And so therefor provides no support for your contention that gods don't exist.
It supports my contention that they both don't know what they are talking about. Even if a god existed, it would be irrelevant as nobody can show or agree upon its nature, i.e. the existence of a featureless god is philosophically useless as no further true statement can be derived from it.
And therefore no demands for superiority or privileges - which is what I'm most concerned with.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Are pleasure & pain just "imagination" ?

Yes, It is a conscious interpretation of physical stimulus.
In this case, imagination equal conscious interpretation. We get physically stimulated and through the conscious process we feel pain/emotions.

Funny thing is we can be cause to feel these things like pain or emotions without direct physical stimulus as well.
For example you can feel the pain from a movie or fear, happiness, etc...

Pain and pleasure aren't "real". They are an interpretation of reality created subconsciously and presented to your consciousness.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I wasn't trying to. I'm just saying that, the lower you set your standards, the more gods you get.
I disagree. Hindus have the same set of high standards as the Abrahamic religions for their Gods and Goddesses. I would say better, since the Hindu Gods and Goddesses can live together. :)

PureX

Veteran Member
But you are assuming that YOUR standard for evidence determines what's a "lower" standard. So in fact you ARE presuming to judge other people's criteria for and use of evidence.
It supports my contention that they both don't know what they are talking about.
How superior of you. When in fact it appears that it's you that doesn't understand the difference between an individual's concept of reality, and the mystery that reality actually is to us.
Even if a god existed, it would be irrelevant as nobody can show or agree upon its nature,
Why do we have to agree on it's nature?
i.e. the existence of a featureless god is philosophically useless
I think you think that if you can't find the answer to a question, the question is "useless". But philosophy is in complete disagreement with this. Asking questions that we cannot answer is exactly what philosophy is about, and is for.
as no further true statement can be derived from it.
Same goes for science. No truth can be derived from it, either. All we get are more questions, and more possibilities. Science and philosophy are quite similar in this way.
And therefore no demands for superiority or privileges - which is what I'm most concerned with.
Then why are you always proclaiming scientism and atheism to be superior to any and all other alternatives?

PureX

Veteran Member
Yes, It is a conscious interpretation of physical stimulus.
In this case, imagination equal conscious interpretation. We get physically stimulated and through the conscious process we feel pain/emotions.

Funny thing is we can be cause to feel these things like pain or emotions without direct physical stimulus as well.
For example you can feel the pain from a movie or fear, happiness, etc...

Pain and pleasure aren't "real". They are an interpretation of reality created subconsciously and presented to your consciousness.
"Interpretations" of reality are as much a part of reality as anything can ever be. Because without them, there is no reality for us. PERCEPTION IS CONCEPTION. Neither exists without the other.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I disagree. Hindus have the same set of high standards as the Abrahamic religions for their Gods and Goddesses. I would say better, since the Hindu Gods and Goddesses can live together. :)
High standards? "Ma book says so, that settles it." is the Christian standard for evidence. (And I don't know, but I guess it is the same in Hinduism.)

Ajax

I am 100% agnostic, I don't know if God exists and therefore I can not come up with a percentage.
But I would like to ask the 100% theists; Do you judge/evaluate the rules of God which you follow, or you think you can not have a judgement on them?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
"Interpretations" of reality are as much a part of reality as anything can ever be. Because without them, there is no reality for us. PERCEPTION IS CONCEPTION. Neither exists without the other.

Of course. What you see on your computer screen is also an interpretation of digital data stored on your computer device.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
But you are assuming that YOUR standard for evidence determines what's a "lower" standard. So in fact you ARE presuming to judge other people's criteria for and use of evidence.
It's only "HIS" standard beyond the level where there's an objective standard.

If someone has set their evidentuary bar so low that conflicting claims can both clear it, then it's objectively too low.

The question of how far above that line we ought to set our bar will probably involve subjective judgment, but setting one's bar below that line is objectively incorrect.

F1fan

Veteran Member
That maybe so, but you need to explain it yourself, what is meant by "make itself known"..
Why is it on an atheist to explain what your idea of God can do? It's your idea of God, you should be coming up with explanations for it can do and can't do. If your God can't make itself known to objective thinkers then it's suspicious if you also claim it can create the universe. That gives us doubt that your beliefs and claims are true.

muhammad_isa

Who created diseases and disasters, earthquakes, volcanoes, floods, famines, tsunamis, tornadoes, typhoons, forest fires, etc. Are humans responsible for these too?
There is no simple answer to that..
..for example, do we not at least share in the responsibility for undesirable climate-change?

muhammad_isa

They are real enough for my liking .. I take them seriously, as I'm sure we all do.

If not, then why do I see atheists taking about the abhorrence of torture?

muhammad_isa

.. I would like to ask the 100% theists; Do you judge/evaluate the rules of God which you follow, or you think you can not have a judgement on them?
Evaluate .. ponder on .. try to comprehend .. try to live them .. try to gain in wisdom.
..but not downright reject, or criticize without full knowledge.