• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How many people practice Yoga?

Metalic Wings

I'm actually very interested to see how many of those who frequent RF practice Yoga.

Do you use it as stress-relief? For exercise/ to become mre flexible? For meditation? As a way of living?

I'm currently reading Yoga for Dummies. My boyfriend had gotten the book for me when he found out I was interested in learning more about Yoga and trying it myself. Since I got the book I started a free class at my college and I have been very surprised by how much I truly enjoy it.

Metalic Wings

That's awesome.

I started it mainly for stress relief and for exercise, although my boyfriend kept bringing up the meditation part.

Now that I've practiced it for a little while I'm starting to understand what he was saying. Trying to focus on one's body as a whole is very difficult indeed, but I feel like I'm taking the very first baby steps to self-awareness =D

Yes Man

Premium Member
I've been practicing yoga for about two months now as meditation. It's been tough for me lately as sitting completely still for an hour a day (two half-hours divided) is....well.....tough. :)

Metalic Wings

I've been practicing yoga for about two months now as meditation. It's been tough for me lately as sitting completely still for an hour a day (two half-hours divided) is....well.....tough. :)

Wow, kudos to you. That really sounds difficult.

It's difficult for me just to concentrate long enough to hold the Tree position without wiggling. >< Right now I'm focusing mostly on just trying to get a better sense of my center and to relax.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Fantastic, MW. To you and to everyone else who practices, keep up the good work!

I've been practicing varying branches of yoga for almost 30 years. It is the one constant in my life as most other things have changed, from my religious observances and beliefs, to my family situations, to my stresses, diets, and career goals. The day my mother handed me a book on yoga breathing and simple asanas is a day I'm most grateful for. And since then, it's been one heck of a journey. :)

Currently, I practice various vinyasa sequences, but most often I practice astanga yoga. I've done that style for the last 10 years. Before that, sivananda was my go-to method. My reasons for practicing are that it helps to train me for........well........for "life."

That, and I've done the running thing before for exercise, and every now and then I'll start back up again for a change, but overall I think it sucks next to how effective yoga is for me. :D

Metalic Wings

Fantastic, MW. To you and to everyone else who practices, keep up the good work!

Thank you!

I've been practicing varying branches of yoga for almost 30 years. It is the one constant in my life as most other things have changed, from my religious observances and beliefs, to my family situations, to my stresses, diets, and career goals. The day my mother handed me a book on yoga breathing and simple asanas is a day I'm most grateful for. And since then, it's been one heck of a journey. :)

That is truly amazing. I hope that I can eventually make yoga such an integral part of my life. I"ve only been practicing a few days a week for about two months, but I really enjoy it much more than any other physical activity I've experienced. And I know it definitely has to do with the fact that yoga is so much more than just physical exercise.

Mr Cheese

Currently, I practice various vinyasa sequences, but most often I practice astanga yoga. I've done that style for the last 10 years. Before that, sivananda was my go-to method. My reasons for practicing are that it helps to train me for........well........for "life."

That, and I've done the running thing before for exercise, and every now and then I'll start back up again for a change, but overall I think it sucks next to how effective yoga is for me. :D

gosh...you must be uh...very flexible :p

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
When there is yoga and a yoga practitioner,then it is not yoga.;)

Last edited by a moderator:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend MW,

How many people practice Yoga?
It appears that you are talking about *hath yoga* as yoga is more poplar that WAY.
Otherwise whatever one does *CONSCIOUSLY* is a form of *YOGA* from *karma yoga* to *gyan yoga* to *raj yoga* etc.

Yes, surely a large part of everyday is in efforts at *yoga*.

Love & rgds

I attempted yoga a few times but I have to say, it really wasn't my thing as I found it kind of slow and not really understanding it. I think it can be great for exercise and mental relaxation though, however, it's not my method of achieving that. For me, mental relaxation is either reading, doing sudokos (however it's spelled) or putting on some gloves and doing kick-boxing and karate on a punching bag. It gets flexibility and can get relaxation, although it's not as calm.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
OK. I can't help myself. I've got to jump in here.
Yoga, as you're using it, is a complete misnomer. Yoga is one of the orthodox schools of Hinduism. It is a religious philosophy and practice.

What you're talking about are asanas or "postures." These are used by many practitioners of Yoga, but they are not Yoga.

katiafish

consciousness incarnate
Have been practicing Satchidananda Yoga for past 6 years.. Went to his ashram in Virginia in 2006. Yogaville - Satchidananda Ashram

Also started to become more interested in Kundalini Yoga practice over past year or so, but dont practice that regularly...

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I just stretch...I dont think its "yoga" but it feels good.You never realize how tense you are till you stretch.

Love

Dallas

prani23

Hi
I am practicing sahajayoga meditation for about 15 years now.Sahaja Yoga Meditation is meant for everyone who desires to find his or her true self, which is full of peace, joy of life and love for others. It is not just a book or a set of exercises but a living science that will open up to you gradually as your meditations become deeper and your experience stronger and more fulfilling.

Sahaja Yoga Meditation was developed by Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi. It involves the awakening of a subtle spiritual energy known as the Kundalini which lies dormant in the sacrum bone at the base of the spine in three-and-a-half coils. The gentle awakening of this Kundalini energy and the inner journey of self discovery is known as Enlightenment (Self-realization).Sahaja Yoga Meditation classes are held in over 80 countries around the world and are always provided free of charge :)

Hope you like it.
-PR

Metalic Wings

OK. I can't help myself. I've got to jump in here.
Yoga, as you're using it, is a complete misnomer. Yoga is one of the orthodox schools of Hinduism. It is a religious philosophy and practice.

What you're talking about are asanas or "postures." These are used by many practitioners of Yoga, but they are not Yoga.

Thanks for the notice. I guess I should have been a little more conscience of how I put it.

I understand that yoga is a religious philosophy and practice. Obviously I'm still quite new to the concept of yoga (from philosophy and mind set to the postures, as you mentioned) and I'm learning more everyday. But thank you for correcting me. It's important to understand the difference.