• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How It Is That Bad Cops Are The Majority Of Cops

Kfox

Are they required to meet any fitness standards?
R.a36ff84b95c95f6843feeec689a5868e
Are those cops? Or security Guards?

Pete in Panama

Exactly!

There's evidence.
You just don't admit that it is.
My failures --as bad as they are-- can not change the attitudes of the majority of cops. My failures are irrelevant to our discussion of the nature of cops. My understanding is based part on my personal experience in my own contact w/ police officers that confirm my general understanding that humans are good.

If our problem in communicating stems from a decision on your part that people are bad, then we're stuck. Tom Paine once said (I paraphrase) that to argue with someone who's renounced the use and authority of reason and who holds humanity in contempt is like giving medicine to the dead. Another possibility is that your goal may be to simply confront and quarrel, and once again we'd be stuck and I'd bid you a good day and be on my way.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My failures --as bad as they are-- can not change the attitudes of the majority of cops. My failures are irrelevant to our discussion of the nature of cops. My understanding is based part on my personal experience in my own contact w/ police officers that confirm my general understanding that humans are good.
Most interactions with cops are acceptable.
Similarly, most interactions with criminals are too.
After all, both only act badly some of the time,
not all of the time.
Perhaps you're not elderly, a teenager, deaf, blind,
autistic, mentally ill, aphasiac, a foreigner, black,
poor, Hispanic, Amerindian, or a member of some
other group that cops tend to be antagonistic
towards. Your experience differs from many many
other people who've suffered bad cops.
If our problem in communicating stems from a decision on your part that people are bad, then we're stuck.
That's obviously wrong.
We're not stuck at all.
Solutions:
Raise hiring standards, raise pay to attract
better applicants, make training better &
more comprehensive, improve accountability,
improve supervision, have mental health
professionals handle situations requiring
their expertise (instead of cops).

☆Dreamwind☆

Because they do not allow themselves to be policed, held to strict rules and standards, or be punished appropriately. This is not to say there aren't good ones who do uphold the motto To Protect and Serve. I've met my fair share, but it seems they've become the exception. Not the rule. Rotten to the core.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
For anyone interested in watching a 10 or so minute
video, this offers some insight into how it is that a
majority of cops can be bad.

joe1776

Yes.
Nearly every case of a cop acting in an illegal
manner is supported by all other cops present.
Support ranges from ignoring the wrongful act
to turning off body cams to to joining in to
even committing perjury in their reports.
This means that all present are bad cops.
Examples of 1 good cop stopping a bad cop
are extremely rare. The high ratio of bad/good
cops in hundreds of examples is statistically
significant.

Consider the many cases in the many threads.
You've been a member long enuf to have seen
them. But if you haven't, then you can search
for titles with "cops".
You may be overstating the problem since it's likely that we will only read about malpractice. However, there's not much doubt that effective oversight is necessary. But how might that be accomplished?

There’s no national police force in the US, where policing is organised on a state and local basis. The country has around 500,000 police officers and a total of 40,000 separate police forces, over half of which are simply one or two-man sheriffs’ offices in small towns.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You may be overstating the problem since it's likely that we will only read about malpractice.
The malfeasance & misfeasance seen shows a wider
problem of corruption because of the many efforts
to cover up the problem, & the very few efforts
by any good cops to stop bad cops from misdeeds.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You may be overstating the problem since it's likely that we will only read about malpractice. However, there's not much doubt that effective oversight is necessary. But how might that be accomplished?

There’s no national police force in the US, where policing is organised on a state and local basis. The country has around 500,000 police officers and a total of 40,000 separate police forces, over half of which are simply one or two-man sheriffs’ offices in small towns.
This is an interesting video about how cops
are trained. They're actually taught to abuse
civilians (eg, taze people for recording, shoot
fleeing cars, illegal traffic stops, to be hostile
& profane).
Caution: Much profanity & dehumanization
of civilians, including sexual assault.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
This is an interesting video about how cops
are trained. They're actually taught to abuse
civilians (eg, taze people for recording, shoot
fleeing cars, illegal traffic stops, to be hostile
& profane).
Caution: Much profanity & dehumanization
of civilians, including sexual assault.
Their training alone primes them to be paranoid loose cannons with a gun a trigger finger that's itching. Don't be a good, decent person that people will go along with, always have control and dominate the situation. Being nice gets cops killed by not nice people.