• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does the Epic of Gilgamesh discredit the story of Noah’s flood?

firedragon

Veteran Member
You have a strawman argument that has nothing to do with the work of Thomas Thompson. All historians are in consensus that Moses is a myth. Fransesca Stravopolou, Elaine Pagels, Carrier, Ehrman, Goodacre, you clearly do not read actual historicity.

All scholars? You think this is "all scholars"? Thats a false statement to make. I know Dr. Fransesca has an extreme mythicists view. But most scholars dont say that Moses was a mythical character, though the stories are highly discussed as myth. You simply cannot say this is consensus, and make this list an "all scholars".

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Thats a fringe opinion. A mythicists opinion. When you say 'scholars' a word thrown around a lot, who do you mean? You will get to specific scholars, a few. There is no consensus. Its just a nice idea and an interesting one.

Prove it. From what I have seen it has been the scholarly consensus for over a hundred years. You have to remember that the flood myth was refuted even before that, and the evidence against the flood has only gotten stronger over the years.

A belief in the Noah's Ark myth is no different from being a Flat Earther. Both require a person to throw away all science.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
All scholars? You think this is "all scholars"? Thats a false statement to make. I know Dr. Fransesca has an extreme mythicists view. But most scholars dont say that Moses was a mythical character, though the stories are highly discussed as myth. You simply cannot say this is consensus, and make this list an "all scholars".
Did he say all? There will always be a few loons that cannot justify their beliefs.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Thats a strawman.

Show me where it could be deemed "all scholars say Moses was a myth"? Thats a fringe stand of mythicists.
No, it isn't. You need to support your nonsense. Wikipedia is more than enough to refute your claim. Do I really need to do so? You may be making the error of conflating apologists for scholars. They are far from it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Calling people loons only shows your character, is not an argument.
No sorry, but a person that claims that the Earth is Flat is a loon. It has nothing to do with my character. Any person with even a high school level of scientific literacy can understand how the flood was refuted. Any supposed scholar that thinks he can ignore all of the sciences is also a loon. Lay people may have an excuse. Supposed scholars do not.

joelr

Thats a strawman.

Show me where it could be deemed "all scholars say Moses was a myth"? Thats a fringe stand of mythicists.

Already did? Wiki sums up the consensus, - generally seem as a mythical figure.

Carol Mayers explaining that the stories are myth:
NOVA | The Bible's Buried Secrets | Moses and the Exodus | PBS

William Denver the leading Biblical archeologist:

"Evidence of the early Israelites
The Bible chronology puts Moses much later in time, around 1450 B.C.E. Is there archeological evidence for Moses and the mass exodus of hundreds of thousands of Israelites described in the Bible?
We have no direct archeological evidence. "Moses" is an Egyptian name. Some of the other names in the narratives are Egyptian, and there are genuine Egyptian elements. But no one has found a text or an artifact in Egypt itself or even in the Sinai that has any direct connection. That doesn't mean it didn't happen. But I think it does mean what happened was rather more modest. And the biblical writers have enlarged the story."

Enlarged the story. The stories about Moses are myths. Like Jesus it doesn't matter if there was an actual human who the stories were based on, the stories are what is fiction. Meyers said it, no man did all that.
All scholars in history share this belief. What do you want an individual quote from every scholar? These are myths.

"Generally Moses is seen as a legendary figure, whilst retaining the possibility that Moses or a Moses-like figure existed in the 13th century BCE"

There you go? Moses is GENERALLY SEEN AS A LEGEND? That doesn't mean fringe scholars?
This shows that Fransesca S. is simply mirroring the consensus.

Last edited: