• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Does One Know God's Thoughts?

Yid613

When I started the thread (4 years ago), I was actually thinking along the lines of the Terry Schiavo case.

How can a mortal being tell us that they know the mind of God - and what God would have us do in that situation?

Again, keep in mind that I am eliminating the Bible (or any other religious text) from the question.

How can one mortal presume to speak for God, and tell another mortal that he knows the mind of a supernatural being?

We cannot know the mind of G-d, "My thoughts are not like your thoughts". It is only thru the Bible that we can know what he expects from us. Take that out of the picture we’re totally clueless. That’s why it’s so important.

Draka

Wonder Woman
If She wants me to know something, She tells me. If I have a question then I ask...if She wants for me to have the answer, She gives it. Pretty simple actually. No need for some book of other people's opinions or anyone else to tell me what they think their image of god wants...I would rather get my information straight from the Source.

Jeremy Mason

We cannot know the mind of G-d, "My thoughts are not like your thoughts". It is only thru the Bible that we can know what he expects from us. Take that out of the picture we’re totally clueless. That’s why it’s so important.

While I agree that the Bible is useful in establishing through stories the value system and justice of our God, it's the Spirit of God that fosters our intuition. To say people are totally and morally clueless who don't have the Bible is simply not true and not biblical.

Romans 2:14-15 (NIV) Sorry VoR, but I had to do this. :sorry1:
14(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, 15since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.)

Nevertheless, as people, we are extremely limited to the scope and total reality of the thought processes of God. God will judge according to the light He gives us. )(

Yid613

. . . is simply not true and not biblical.

Romans 2:14-15 (NIV) Sorry VoR, but I had to do this. :sorry1:
14(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, 15since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.)
You mean not true based on the xtain bible, from a xtain perspective.

Jeremy Mason

Actually, from the study of other cultures that have never heard of any Bible. All people have some form of intuition, some just choose to listen to it more than others.

Draka

Wonder Woman
To say people are totally and morally clueless who don't have the Bible is simply not true and not biblical.

So nice to know that myself, as well as many many others on this forum, are totally and morally clueless according to your particular bible and from your perspective. I'll just be off to sacrfice little old grandmothers and eat some babies now. toodles!

Jeremy Mason

So nice to know that myself, as well as many many others on this forum, are totally and morally clueless according to your particular bible and from your perspective. I'll just be off to sacrfice little old grandmothers and eat some babies now. toodles!

Draka--are you saying I'm calling you clueless, because nothing could be further from the truth. My whole point was to debunk the notion that only people who read the Bible have moral superiority. As a matter of fact, I find more professing Bible readers to have little or no moral compass. Please reply soon. My respect and admiration for you is top notch.

Yid613

Actually, from the study of other cultures that have never heard of any Bible. All people have some form of intuition, some just choose to listen to it more than others.
You’re saying intuition is Devin Revelation? Then how come we are not all on the same page? Perhaps it’s just our normal thought process.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Draka--are you saying I'm calling you clueless, because nothing could be further from the truth. My whole point was to debunk the notion that only people who read the Bible have moral superiority. As a matter of fact, I find more professing Bible readers to have little or no moral compass. Please reply soon. My respect and admiration for you is top notch.

No no...not you...Yid. Sorry if I made that unclear.

Draka

Wonder Woman
:hug: Cool, I was freaking out there for a second. :D

Sorry. Was responding to his comment about your comment. Him saying that it was only according to a Christian bible and a Christian perspective. As if to say his bible and perspective stated otherwise...that I and others ARE clueless.

Absolutely didn't mean you felt that way. :hug:

Yid613

Jeremy
You post may very well demonstrate the xtain understanding. You’re entitled to you option, but not to mine. Judaism and xtianity have many theological differences. I don’t think this is news to anyone.

Draka
I never said anything about you. I was speaking only about my own beliefs any inferences are your own. That said I do think most religions do have at least some element of truth to them. There is some basis behind their rituals. However yours certainly would have some problems under the context of my beliefs. This is how I would phrase it, I would not say you were clueless.

Both of you make a very good case for Atheism. But I will not convert my religion has more Holidays (day off from work:)) then another. :p

Draka

Wonder Woman

While I agree that the Bible is useful in establishing through stories the value system and justice of our God, it's the Spirit of God that fosters our intuition. To say people are totally and morally clueless who don't have the Bible is simply not true and not biblical.

No, Yid, you may not have said anything to me directly,...but it is awful hard not to get what I got from what was said here. You said that without the bible we are "clueless". Therefore, any religion not based on the bible or anyone who has not read or put stock in the bible is "clueless". That would include me and many others here. Whether you use the word "clueless" directly to anyone or not does not diminish the fact that you just painted that word on a lot of people with a very broad brush. I maintain one does not need any book, regardless of its claims to its own importance, to know "god" or have basis for beliefs and morals.

Jeremy Mason

Both of you make a very good case for Atheism.

and we're the ones who are clueless... :sarcastic

But I will not convert my religion has more Holidays (day off from work:)) then another. :p

I'm glad your religion has given you A purpose. Enjoy your days off. :rolleyes:

Clear

Premium Member
I'm not arguing with you and wholeheartedly agree with what you are saying. My point was about what God currently thinks, nothing more.- Jeremy Mason
Sorry not to acknowledge your last comment before now (just walked in from a short trip). Thanks for the explanation. I still believe you deserve the frubals since Voice of Reason indicated you understood the question.....

later Jeremy

Clear

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
As a Rationalist, I just have to ask, how does one know what God thinks, knows, wants, or desires? When you respond, please do not use statements such as "The Bible says...". This begs the question, since it assumes the premise that the Bible is the word of God (inspired or otherwise).
Well, I know those thoughts of God's that are also mine.

Further, I surmise that the questions which haunt our race, such as the nature of God and morality, are concepts God is exploring.

However, the ulitimate musings of a mind that encompasses every consciousness in the cosmos, as well as the passive consciousness of the cosmos itself is so alien as to be unimaginable.