• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does (did) one know who has (had) authored a book?

Kelly of the Phoenix

Based on your comments, I think you have been seriously misinformed. Just one example: Until 1993, no source other than the Bible proved David is an historical figure. That year, however, archaeologists uncovered in northern Israel a basalt stone, dated to the ninth century B.C.E., that experts say bears the words “House of David” and “king of Israel.”
I would expect a book inspired by the true God would be available to all mankind in their native tongue. The Bible meets that criteria more than any other book ever written.
Noting that a House of David exists, though, is not the same thing as proving that Samuel went and got him, that he killed a guy and banged his wife, that he almost killed another guy and banged his wife anyway, that he killed a really tall guy, etc.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I personally believe that Shakespeare wrote those works. But I cited the controversy to respond to your OP question. It's one thing to say that you believe someone wrote something and even to have some evidence for it. It's much harder to prove such an assertion.
Is there a "fool-proof" method to know " who authored a book"? Please
Regards

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Is there a "fool-proof" method to know " who authored a book"? Please
Regards
If you watch someone actually writing a book, that's definitive. Otherwise someone who wanted to lie or try to fool someone else could fake a book. Even handwriting is not sufficient because someone could dictate a book to to the supposed author. At some point you have to trust that the person who said he or she authored a book is telling the truth.

rusra02

Premium Member
Do you mean Christian-god Jesus authored NT Bible?
Regards
No, Jesus is not the Christian God. I believe Jehovah is the God who authored the entire Bible. 2 Tmothy 3:16 affirms that "All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching." Jesus always referred to himself as the son of God. (John 3:16-18, for example)

rusra02

Premium Member
Noting that a House of David exists, though, is not the same thing as proving that Samuel went and got him, that he killed a guy and banged his wife, that he almost killed another guy and banged his wife anyway, that he killed a really tall guy, etc.
My point is that time and time again, claims that the Bible is not historical have been proven false.

rusra02

Premium Member
I don't understand, explain please.
Many Bible critics make the claim that the places, people, and events written about in the Bible are myths; that men such as Adam, David, Abraham, and Moses never existed. Archeological discoveries have confirmed many of the events recorded in the Bible, previously denied by Bible critics, did occur and in the way the Bible describes. Recently, one critic in this forum made the claim that David is not historical. A discovery in 1993 uncovered a very ancient stone with a word on it that is translated “House of David." I believe the Bible is historically accurate and attempts to label it mere myth or allegory are grossly in error, and a means to deny it's inspiration by God.

roger1440

I do stuff
Many Bible critics make the claim that the places, people, and events written about in the Bible are myths; that men such as Adam, David, Abraham, and Moses never existed. Archeological discoveries have confirmed many of the events recorded in the Bible, previously denied by Bible critics, did occur and in the way the Bible describes. Recently, one critic in this forum made the claim that David is not historical. A discovery in 1993 uncovered a very ancient stone with a word on it that is translated “House of David." I believe the Bible is historically accurate and attempts to label it mere myth or allegory are grossly in error, and a means to deny it's inspiration by God.
This evidence includes Adam? Send me link.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
rusra02 said:
Many Bible critics make the claim that the places, people, and events written about in the Bible are myths; that men such as Adam, David, Abraham, and Moses never existed. Archeological discoveries have confirmed many of the events recorded in the Bible, previously denied by Bible critics, did occur and in the way the Bible describes. Recently, one critic in this forum made the claim that David is not historical. A discovery in 1993 uncovered a very ancient stone with a word on it that is translated “House of David." I believe the Bible is historically accurate and attempts to label it mere myth or allegory are grossly in error, and a means to deny it's inspiration by God
I also wait the link rusra02 sends.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
My prediction: people will say that the book itself will mention or list the author and that is how we know who wrote it. Paarsurrey will then respond that the Quran mentions that its author is God and that we should therefore accept that it was written by God since we use that same measure of investigation to identify the author of other books.

Just to make your guess true:

The Challenge*

"I hereby offer a reward of 10,000 rupees** to all those who can prove that their scriptures are equal to the Holy Quran in respect of all the arguments and incontrovertible proofs, which I have adduced from the Holy Book; or, in case their scriptures fail to provide such arguments, make an admission of this failure in their books and try, at least, to refute all of my arguments one by one."
"Barahin-e-Ahmadiyya-Part-1" Page-47 *by Mirza Ghulam Ahmad
http://www.alislam.org/library/books/Barahin-e-Ahmadiyya-Parts1-2.pdf
**Ten thousand rupees was the total value of the property of the author in 1879. [Publishers]​
Regards

Akivah

Eh? My point wasn't about the nature of the book. It was about the topic you started regarding authors.

And yes and no if a book can be in covers. E-books are books too because they contain reading material. But I don't think a is a book. It can be based on a book, or a book can be written from it, but a movie is a movie and a book is a book (something you read). The difference is in how the different media is experienced.

The EU just ruled that printed books are exempt from the VAT, but electronic books are subject to the VAT.

Kelly of the Phoenix

The Challenge*

"I hereby offer a reward of 10,000 rupees** to all those who can prove that their scriptures are equal to the Holy Quran in respect of all the arguments and incontrovertible proofs, which I have adduced from the Holy Book; or, in case their scriptures fail to provide such arguments, make an admission of this failure in their books and try, at least, to refute all of my arguments one by one."
**Ten thousand rupees was the total value of the property of the author in 1879. [Publishers]​
Regards
I do consider the Quran on par with the bible, but they have equal amounts of flaws as well, though there are times when the bible gets things "right" that the Quran doesn't and vice versa. Neither the bible nor the Quran were written with me in mind. Therefore, it's all the same to me.

Parsimony

The Challenge*

Regards
"If you can't prove me wrong, then I'm right" is an example of the argument from ignorance fallacy. You do realize that, right? I could just as easily claim that the Apollo missions to the Moon were divinely guided by God. Anyone who wants to disprove it will have to build their own spacecraft and land a man on the Moon themselves. If they can't do that, then that is proof that the Apollo missions were divinely guided. So how about it? Can you meet that challenge? No one so far has.

rusra02

Premium Member
I am not aware of archeological confirmation of the first man and I doubt such evidence exists. The Bible is consistent in presenting Adam as a real person, not an allegorical myth. Luke 3 lists Adam in his genealogy leading to Jesus, and Jesus believed and taught that Adam and Eve were real people.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

The Challenge*

The Challenge*

I, the author of Barahin-e-Ahmadiyya, publish this announcement on my own behalf, offering a reward of 10,000 rupees.** It is addressed as a challenge and as the completion of proof against all the elders of various religions and creeds who do not believe in the truth of the Holy Quran and the Prophethood of Hadrat Muhammad Mustafa [the Chosen One], may peace and blessings of Allah be upon him.

Note:1.The challenge in the original book was written in bold letters.
2.Please access the above link to see the challenge and the conditions in full.

Regards