• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does an abrahamic monotheist explain this?

ngupta

title used by customer
One thing I noticed about westerners and abrahamics is their very quick label of Hindus as "pantheists" (vast majority of Hindus are Monists/Panentheists, who believe in a Creator, yet also that the nature of the created is also Divine, and that God is All-Inclusive). Sometimes, or actually quite often, they go "haha those silly Hindus believe everything is God, cow is God, dog is God, idol is God and all unclean things are God". Which is ironic as all christians and jews believe that God is omnipresent and so do many muslims.

The root of the reasoning of Hindu Monism is this;

Every object in our surrounding has a creator/cause, just as a table has a carpenter and a pot has a potter. So this world must also have a creator. A carpenter uses wood as the raw material to make a table and the potter uses clay to make a pot. So, what did the great creator, whom we call god, use as a raw material?

If there is a raw material, then the question will arise as to who made this raw material and whether this creator is greater than that one. To circumvent this it is postulated that God did not make use of any external material but transformed himself as the universe. So whatever is, is nothing other than God. Only those who think deeply can realize this. Others are deluded by illusion and do not see the unity hidden in objects of various forms and names.

Another reasoning I read from another forum;

If God creates everything out of nothing, then he must have destroyed the perfect nothingness that was before He created the everything.

And if nothing existed before everything, why was nothing nothing initially? Was nothingness being nothing without everything a state that was beyond God?(Just as a man finds an empty room and then put things inside of it because naturally one does not find rooms full with objects of desire) Since this nothingness being nothing without everything was a reality that God was helpless to and only subseqently He decided to create everything out of that nothing, was God stuck with laws beyond Him?

Some atheistic questions to the mix as well;

If God was so great, what impulse made Him create the universe? In the beginning only God existed, if naturally God was all that was, Him alone by Himself, what would make Him want to spoil that? Did He lack contentment and peace, and the act of creation brought Him something which he felt better after doing, or it was born out of a necessary urge to act. That is He was somehow compelled to create. I mean God cant act without a reason, right? Otherwise He would be a senseless being.

Did He need assurance of His glory from an external being to extol His worth? That seems more like slander to say that of God.

If you(Christians) tell its so that He gets worship, then its absurd because generally we feel the most praise from not those who are lesser than us but greater. For example if you had to choose between either who would you prefer appreciating you? God or some creature?

Last edited:

arthra

Baha'i
I know there are many things in common between Western and Eastern religions and I think you could make a case that monotheism or monism can be found in Hindu perspectives..

You may be familiar with the book called

The Vedic Experience Mantramanjari, An Anthology of the Vedas for Modern Man and Contemporary Celebration by Raimundo Panikkar

I heartily recommend this book to all! To see the parallels between Western and Eastern religion.

One of the texts concerns the following:

The Nasadiya Sukta of Rig Veda X, 129 sings about

"In the beginning Love arose,
which was the primary germ cell of the mind.
The Seers, searching in their hearts with wisdom,
discovered the connection of Being in Nonbeing."

I am alike for all! I know not hate,
I know not favour! What is made is Mine!
But them that worship Me with love, I love;
They are in Me, and I in them!

(Hindu, Bhagavad Gita (Edwin Arnold tr))

In the Baha'i Writings you will also find the following:

Having created the world and all that liveth and moveth therein, He, through the direct operation of His unconstrained and sovereign Will, chose to confer upon man the unique distinction and capacity to know Him and to love Him -- a capacity that must needs be regarded as the generating impulse and the primary purpose underlying the whole of creation..

~ Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 65

There are four kinds of love.

The first is the love that flows from God to man; it consists of the inexhaustible graces, the Divine effulgence and heavenly illumination. Through this love the world of being receives life. Through this love man is endowed with physical existence, until, through the breath of the Holy Spirit -- this same love -- he receives eternal life and becomes the image of the Living God. This love is the origin of all the love in the world of creation.

The second is the love that flows from man to God. This is faith, attraction to the Divine, enkindlement, progress, entrance into the Kingdom of God, receiving the Bounties of God, illumination with the lights of the Kingdom. This love is the origin of all philanthropy; this love causes the hearts of men to reflect the rays of the Sun of Reality.

The third is the love of God towards the Self or Identity of God. This is the transfiguration of His Beauty, the reflection of Himself in the mirror of His Creation. This is the reality of love, the Ancient Love, the Eternal Love. Through one ray of this Love all other love exists.

The fourth is the love of man for man. The love which exists between the hearts of believers is prompted by the ideal of the unity of spirits. This love is attained through the knowledge of God, so that men see the Divine Love reflected in the heart. Each sees in the other the Beauty of God reflected in the soul, and finding this point of similarity, they are attracted to one another in love. This love will make all men the waves of one sea, this love will make them all the stars of one heaven and the fruits of one tree. This love will bring the realization of true accord, the foundation of real unity.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Paris Talks, p. 180

Me Myself

Back to my username
As this is very likely to become a debate rather than just questions (I do feel some affirmations of persuasive nature) wouldn´t it be better to put it on "Religious debates" Rather than in a DIR?

Just saying :ninja:

Me Myself

Back to my username
I am alike for all! I know not hate,
I know not favour! What is made is Mine!
But them that worship Me with love, I love;
They are in Me, and I in them!

that sounds like Jesus read the gita there, right there in that bolded part! :eek:

More reasons to need to read the gita! :cover:

Flankerl

I dont even know what an "abrahamic monotheist" is.
smiley_shrug.gif

ngupta

title used by customer
I see no need for Abrahamic monotheists to defend themselves againt rambling, near incoherent, OPs such as this.

We can determine that you are very intelligent as demonstrated by your posts. No doubt. However not everyone of us speak English as our first language. So we are unable to construct lucid sentences. So you have to bear with us when we frame our sentences in a grammatically incorrect manner. Can't expect everybody be on par with your level of brilliance.:(

Last edited:

ngupta

title used by customer
I dont even know what an "abrahamic monotheist" is.
smiley_shrug.gif

Someone who follows one of the 3 Abrahamic religions and believes that there is difference between the nature of the Deity and the nature of the universe. Thats the theology espoused generally in Abrahamic religions however there are sects who differ.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
We can determine that you are very intelligent as demonstrated by your posts. No doubt. However not everyone of us speak English as our first language. So we are unable to construct lucid sentences. So you have to bear with us when we frame our sentences in a grammatically incorrect manner. Can't expect everybody be on par with your level of brilliance.:(
Drop the pretence.
One thing I noticed about westerners and abrahamics is their very quick label of Hindus as "pantheists" (vast majority of Hindus are Monists/Panentheists, who believe in a Creator, yet also that the nature of the created is also Divine, and that God is All-Inclusive). Sometimes, or actually quite often, they go "haha those silly Hindus believe everything is God, cow is God, dog is God, idol is God and all unclean things are God".
Please provide evidence ...
  • that westerners and abrahamics are very quick label of Hindus as "pantheists" , and
  • that often, they go "haha those silly Hindus believe everything is God, cow is God, dog is God, idol is God and all unclean things are God"
You fabricate a straw man, ridicule it, then attempt to pummel it. This has nothing to do with your ability to "construct lucid sentences" and everything to do with eagerness to tilt at sloppily constructed windmills.

Landerage

Araknor
And if nothing existed before everything, why was nothing nothing initially? Was nothingness being nothing without everything a state that was beyond God?(Just as a man finds an empty room and then put things inside of it because naturally one does not find rooms full with objects of desire) Since this nothingness being nothing without everything was a reality that God was helpless to and only subseqently He decided to create everything out of that nothing, was God stuck with laws beyond Him?

Some atheistic questions to the mix as well;

If God was so great, what impulse made Him create the universe? In the beginning only God existed, if naturally God was all that was, Him alone by Himself, what would make Him want to spoil that? Did He lack contentment and peace, and the act of creation brought Him something which he felt better after doing, or it was born out of a necessary urge to act. That is He was somehow compelled to create. I mean God cant act without a reason, right? Otherwise He would be a senseless being.

Did He need assurance of His glory from an external being to extol His worth? That seems more like slander to say that of God.

If you(Christians) tell its so that He gets worship, then its absurd because generally we feel the most praise from not those who are lesser than us but greater. For example if you had to choose between either who would you prefer appreciating you? God or some creature?
God creator of everything, can't be stuck in laws beyound him because he would have created them anyway, and he have the greatest wisdom so he will not create something that could decrease his power, including creating a partner God (which wont be a called God anyway, because he will be created by the first God so more of a semi-God ) .
What made him create the universe? Nobody knows, why he created millions of planets that nobody lives on? Nobody knows, but he will tell us someday. When you say "at the begining he was alone" that's not quite accurate, because when he was alone, there was no time or place, and adding a time frame to that event would make it not logical. So we can't explain what does "God being alone" is because it would be in a out of time and out of space, which nobody knows what that is.
God created us for the only purpose of worshipping him, and recognize his mercy and forgiveness. What does God is "all forgiving and merciful" mean, if there was no creature to feel that mercy and to gain that forgiveness?

Flankerl

Someone who follows one of the 3 Abrahamic religions and believes that there is difference between the nature of the Deity and the nature of the universe. Thats the theology espoused generally in Abrahamic religions however there are sects who differ.

You should probably start seeing every so called "abrahamic religion" as a religion for itself rather than a group of religions who are bound together.

The whole term of so called "abrahamic religions" is made up to support the claims of the later so called "abrahamic religions".