• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

how does a christian understand the bible?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Through the Holy Spirit there is no other way! And in a better critical thinker than Bill Maher, I suggest you quote someone better than that idiot.

My faith is based on experience, not suspension of common sense and rational thought.

actually i quoted someone on this forum.
can i ask you a question?
i do not doubt your experience, what was it?

waitasec

Veteran Member
For me it seems to have been subtler than for others, just a genuine connection and baptism of the Holy Spirit when alone I admited at last I needed Christ, it was like an earthquake. But everyday since had been motivated by a real entity, even in the depths of spiritual depression, after a year of trying to fall away, I still must admit that He possess me, I am His regardless of what I try.

are you talking about thought crime?
did you grow up being told god was everywhere and knows your thoughts?

Peace truly comes not when you do right or obey or believe the truth but simply accept it.

i accept the importance of my integrity and self dignity. so i wouldn't consider it obeying or doing the right thing, i guess. it's what i accept in order to be able to live with my self.

waitasec

Veteran Member
The NT says faith comes by hearing the Word of God, how many times have you read it? The understanding of the NT comes from the living Word of God.

well, i grew up in a christian home. i went to bible college to be in the ministry, in fact. it's just been so long that i have forgotten my point of view.
the problem i had were the contradictions i found, the canonization and the
notion that god is what the bible claims.
it's the idea of faith, believing blindly, is what i have a problem with.

waitasec

Veteran Member
You would be denying your mortality to suggest we do all that we wantto do.

are you morally superior than i?
are you suggesting it is impossible to live a moral life without faith in god?
Sin is those things we do by our nature but that our immortal souls know to be wrong and desires not to do.

This paradox can only be solved by our savior!

i understand that the underlying belief is that we are innately evil.
what i want to know, since you are saved, what moral act can you do that i can't?

The NT says faith comes by hearing the Word of God, how many times have you read it? The understanding of the NT comes from the living Word of God.

That is the correct statement,

Romans 10:17 says, So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. The Holy Spirit is the author of the Bible.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
As a Christian, if a non Christian asked me the best way to understand the bible, I would say "Start by reading the New Testament all the way through." It's really not that hard - and I'd encourage them to skip out on Revelations the first time or two that they read through the New Testament - can always come back to it later.

Then I would say, start reading through the Old Testament, and you can skip the "begats" and all those directions about how to build the temple if you want as well, for now. Read the "story" books first, I'd say - then Proverbs, Psalms, and Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon, the story of Ruth - these very human stories and timeless words of wisdom should ring true to most people, regardless of religious beliefs.

Get to know the historical context and the audience the words were originally intended for.

That's enough for starters. Once you've done all that, it's time to dig deeper.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I am saying it is impossible to be moral at all, we are dead in the law, only Christ saves.

that is interesting, however i would attribute that to the evolution of morality.
slavery and the inequality of women was acceptable. it was the enlightenment that open the doors to the understanding that humans have inalienable rights. and as i recall the age of enlightenment had nothing to do with any particular religion.

If you can examine your own inability to follow the law you'd understand why it's not about being moral to begin with.
i'm not sure what law you are referring to. the law in the bible or the law of the land.

waitasec

Veteran Member
As a Christian, if a non Christian asked me the best way to understand the bible, I would say "Start by reading the New Testament all the way through." It's really not that hard - and I'd encourage them to skip out on Revelations the first time or two that they read through the New Testament - can always come back to it later.

Then I would say, start reading through the Old Testament, and you can skip the "begats" and all those directions about how to build the temple if you want as well, for now. Read the "story" books first, I'd say - then Proverbs, Psalms, and Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon, the story of Ruth - these very human stories and timeless words of wisdom should ring true to most people, regardless of religious beliefs.

Get to know the historical context and the audience the words were originally intended for.

That's enough for starters. Once you've done all that, it's time to dig deeper.

thanks kathryn, but see it was when i went to bible college (a very long time ago) was when i started to doubt it. it was the canonization that brought questions to the surface.

waitasec

Veteran Member
That is the correct statement,

Romans 10:17 says, So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. The Holy Spirit is the author of the Bible.

if i may, the context of this particular passage is not about the bible

16 But not all the Israelites accepted the good news. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our message?”[h] 17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ. 18 But I ask: Did they not hear? Of course they did:

from what i understand, jesus was the good news, not the bible.

With the wealth of new gospels and scriptures that are Christian-centred, I have been pretty accepting of an open canon - at the moment, I am reading 4 Baruch, I believe, and soon the other apocryphal works. After all, I now somewhat hold of a 'no creed but Christ' point of view, knowing that I do not worship books bound together into what we call a 'Bible' but I worship God, my Heavenly Father, who gave His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, as a Saviour and Lord for the salvation of the world through his atonement.

There is so much wealth about this man named Jesus, that to not read these other gospels and written accounts would be tantamount to ignorance. After all, Jesus is the living Word, not the mere words on a page of a Protestant-canoned 'Bible.' :)

if i may, the context of this particular passage is not about the bible

16 But not all the Israelites accepted the good news. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our message?”[h] 17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ. 18 But I ask: Did they not hear? Of course they did:

from what i understand, jesus was the good news, not the bible.

Yes Jesus is the good news, you are right. The good news is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. His death and resurrection. Revelation 19 says, And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
Jesus is the Word of God.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Yes Jesus is the good news, you are right. The good news is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. His death and resurrection. Revelation 19 says, And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
Jesus is the Word of God.

i understand the claim but do you know how the new testament came to be?
did you ever question it's validity?

Archer

Outhouse and WaitaSec this is what I was talking about. A candid discussion about things without all of the other negatives that always get brought up in General. I hope you guys get the answers you are looking for. I also know you are/may not be seeking God or any faith but at least some understanding can/may come of it.

paolops181

God rules!
How does a christian understand the bible?
By asking wisdom from God of course in order for a christian to understand his word.
"If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind." -Jms.1:5

"Turn at my rebuke; Surely I will pour out my spirit on you; I will make my words known to you.
-Pro.1:23

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
thanks kathryn, but see it was when i went to bible college (a very long time ago) was when i started to doubt it. it was the canonization that brought questions to the surface.

Well, my observation has been this - that the vast majority of "bible colleges" are so vehemently anti Catholic that there's no way they could teach the history of the development of the canon without that rancor bleeding through - so my bet is that you didn't get any sort of balanced view of the process.

I think it's amazing that most Protestant churches can't be objective and give the RCC credit where credit is due. Of course, the RCC, like any other huge organization, has it's faults, but if you listen to most Protestant organizations, their history "starts" in the 1500s - as if 1500 years of doctrine, church history, and spiritual growth just didn't happen - like they sprang from the earth like mushrooms overnight.

No offense, but I think I'd rather spend four years in Afghanistan than four years at a bible college! :run: