• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you syncretize religions?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
We can still use the same old deities, but people are different in every age, they need new medicine to be happy

Is religion medicine? A cure to society's social ills? If that's the case why has secular society cured so many social problems religious theocracy cannot?

Almustafa

It should be but often it is not, if you have ever met a real Guru, or a really "high" being you would really perceive religion at its best...
An inner stillness, more vibrant colors, peace, love for all beings, loss of discrimination, the realization of spiritual immortality,seeing God(or whatever you consider the highest)

This is all nonsense though nothing can really put it into words

Often religion is the problem, because it has "expired" as soon as religion creates more unhappiness than happiness, it should be replaced, at least in my mind, your free to disagree.
Spiritual traditions are like milk, and a Cult is like sour milk

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Vaishnavism, a dualistic philosophy has the most adherents of any sect.

It should come as no surprise (nothing I do should be a surprise :D) that as a Vaishnava I'm not a dualist. The closest I come is vishishtadvaita. Achintya bhedabheda is not nuch different than vishishtadvaita if we discount the idea of a heavenly paradise in Vaikuntha or Goloka. That smacks too much of the Christian Heaven.

bp789

Vaishnavism, a dualistic philosophy has the most adherents of any sect.

I think people overestimate how dualistic Vaishnavism is. I'd say it's split about 50-50 in terms of dualistic and non-dualistic, but most people are unaware of the non-dualistic Vaishnava philosophies. The philosophy of Vishishtadvaita by Ramanuja is non-dualistic and qualified monism in that God, the universe, and all souls are one, but we also keep our identity. Sri Vaishnavas (who are common in South India) follow this philosophy, along with Swaminarayan Hindus (who are mostly Gujaratis).There is also the philosophy of Shuddhadvaita by Vallabhacharya which says everything is Krishna and there is nothing else, and this philosophy is found in Gujarat and Rajasthan. There is also another sect called the Pranami Krishna Dharma (or something like that) and while they don't have a name to their philosophy, the goal is to merge into Narayan. I'd say Acintya-bheda-abheda is similar too, but ISKCON takes a very dualistic approach to this philosophy, although it is technically considered dualism. I know almost no one personally that takes the Dvaita view of Madhva (that's the only Hindu sect with eternal hell).

Although having said that, I'll also say that many Vaishnavas (and Hindus in general) don't really pay much attention to the philosophies and just focus on bhakti.

Last edited: